Status: Completed.

Ash Over Seas

Though we haven’t hit the ground, it doesn’t mean we’re not still falling

I downed my third glass of water that morning and the tall empty mug made a soft tap as I set it down on the kitchen table.

“Thirsty?” smirked Atticus, his eyebrow arched elegantly as his lanky body leaned gracefully against the counter.

I nodded, frowning a little.

“Yeah, I’ve been parched lately. I think it might be a side effect of the meds Carlisle prescribed,” I told him, rising from my chair to place my dishes in the sink.

It was silent for a moment as I let the water wash over my plate and set it in the dishwasher.

“Are you sure you want to go to that party tonight?” I heard his gruff voice ask from above me and I straightened up so that we were eye to eye.

“Of course. Why wouldn’t I go?”

The tall boy shrugged, his nose wrinkled in an obvious, yet subtle distaste.

“I just have a bad feeling about it. You’ve hardly been doing better lately,” he answered, crossing his arms over his chest.

I smiled and shook my head. “I’ll be fine, Attie. Jake knows everything about my ‘condition’ so if I start feeling unwell I’m sure he’ll bring me home.”

My brother eyed me intently for a few moments, his golden irises narrowing until he finally gave a short nod and turned to walk toward the front door.

“Are you ready to go then?”

I nodded, following behind him as I slipped on the black pea coat he handed me.

The ride to the Cullen residence was silent except for the soft music playing through the stereo, and I was pleased to see as we arrived, that Jacob was already waiting for me on the front steps. A small smile curved his lips as I stepped from the car.

“How are you feeling this morning?” he asked, leaning down to place a kiss against my cheek as one of his hands ran through my hair.

I opened my mouth to answer but was cut off by an abrupt cough. I turned to see Atticus glaring in annoyance.

“We didn’t come here so you could snog with your boyfriend all afternoon, Colby,” he muttered. “The sooner you get in there the sooner we can leave.”

I raised my brows and the corners of my mouth threatened to twitch into a smile.

“Nobody’s making you stay, Atticus,” I reminded him.

His eyes narrowed and we stood at a stalemate until a resentful growl escaped the boys lips and he turned to stalk through the front door.

“He should really see a therapist for that,” Jacob commented in amusement as he moved to wrap his arms around me, pressing my back against his chest.

I chuckled softly, shaking my head. “He just cares about me,” I said, turning to face him and kissing his lips softly. “Shall we?”

Jacob sighed and nodded, slipping his hand into mine, his grip slightly firmer than usual as we entered the vampire’s home.

Carlisle was waiting in the entry room, making patient conversation with my reluctant brother, and greeted us warmly as he turned to lead us along the familiar path to his office.

I pulled the hospital gown on and stepped from behind the changing screen to see Jacob smirking from the chair by the door. I blushed slightly and immediately pulled the fabric lower down my legs, causing a slight chuckle from the boy.

The chuckle immediately stopped and Jacob tensed in reflex as Carlisle knocked and promptly entered, with my father and his son Edward several steps in tow.

“Hi Daddy,” I greeted, and was rewarded with a soft smile from the dark-haired man as he crossed the room to help me up onto the examination bed.

“I trust you're having a pleasant morning?” he asked calmly and I nodded, inwardly rolling my eyes at his overly formal vocabulary. Sometimes it’s hard having a father who was born in the late 1800’s. Edward’s mouth lifted into a smirk as he leaned casually against the far wall.

“Yes, it’s been fine, Daddy.”

He flashed a small smile once more and gracefully folded himself into the chair beside Jacob’s, the awkward tension between the two bringing an amused smile to my face.

“All right, Colby, I’m going to ask you to open wide,” Carlisle instructed as he pulled out a tongue depressor and a small flashlight.

I took a deep breath, relaxing my jaw and sticking my tongue out as the doctor began the long series of tests I would endure that morning.

Carlisle sighed heavily, putting away the microscope underneath his desk as he discarded the slide of my blood sample into a small biohazard sharps container. The vampire turned toward us, pinching the bridge of his nose tiredly as he shook his head.

“It’s the same; everything’s the same,” he said in defeat. “I can’t get anything.”

I could see my father’s calm mask tighten around the edges, and I knew he was trying his best not to reprimand his friend.

Meanwhile, all I really wanted was a glass of water. After the several hours of testing, I hadn’t consumed anything since I left the house, and my throat felt like a barren desert.

I opened my mouth to speak and was interrupted for the second time that morning.

“Has this been going on long?” Edward spoke up, a small frown creasing his forehead as he pushed off from the wall.

His long legs took graceful steps toward me until his pale face was merely a foot from my own and his topaz eyes seemed to be penetrating my soul. My eyes widened and I felt myself move back just a little. I heard Jacob growl quietly from the corner.

“Has… what been going on?” I asked.

“Have you been thirsty much?” he clarified, and Carlisle’s head rose in interest.

“Uh… a little, I guess. I just figured it was a side effect of the medicine, right?” I frowned, confused by the level of importance this seemed to hold.

Edward didn’t answer, but turned away and began conversing with his father in tones so quiet even I couldn’t make out what they were saying.

“You want to let the rest of us in on this secret?” Jacob growled from the corner, unhappy with being left out of whatever was going on with me.

I flashed him a small smile, holding my hand out to him and he slowly stood, taking it in his own as the tremors in his muscles slowly stopped. I rubbed my thumb soothingly over his hand as the two vampires turned back toward us.

Carlise took several steps forward, his eyes moving between my father and I, as if he were hesitant to speak.

“Henry,” he said slowly, unsurely, and my father’s expression didn’t move. “Edward has had… an idea… concerning your daughter’s condition, and I think it could be a valid point.”

My father’s eyes flashed interest for a moment, but he still didn’t move.

“Yes? And what would that be?”

Carlisle paused. “He thinks… I think… that it might be appropriate for Colby to learn more about… how she got to be the way that she is.”

In that moment, my father visibly tensed and a harsh expression flashed over his beautiful eyes.

“What?” he bit sharply, his lips instinctively curling back over his teeth in warning.

“Henry, we think that she might be exhibiting… certain traits…” he trailed off. “I think it’s time you explained things properly. You know we had talked about this possibility years ago and I know you don't agree, but I feel strongly about this.”

In a fraction of a second, my father was on his feet, the air between the two suddenly on fire as he stepped forward.

“No,” he growled dangerously. “I will not have it. That is completely irrelevant and I will not delve into matters so far buried that they should never be brought to surface.”

“Daddy, what are you talking about?” I asked, completely lost. But it was as if I didn’t exist, and their conversation continued on around me.

Carlisle held his palms up calmly. “Henry, I know this is a difficult subject for you, but I think this might really be something. Please, if you’ll just let me test for—“

“You're not going to find what you're looking for! What you think is happening? It’s not! That is impossible!” he roared as his fist came down swiftly, making a slight indent in the metal of the cabinet placed beside him. Jacob’s hand immediately wrapped around my shoulders, pulling me behind him protectively.

Carlisle’s calm didn’t falter as he stepped forward again.

“Henry, this is your daughter. Can you not put aside your own malcontent to try to help her?” he reasoned, motioning toward me.

The vampire’s angry eyes flashed toward me, and I was shocked at the intensity behind them before they fixed onto Carlisle once more.

“You think I wouldn’t give my life for her? Carlisle she’s my daughter, she’s all I have left. I would do anything for her but what you're suggesting is absolute madness. I will not have it,” he emphasized the last sentence slowly, his eyes still burning dangerously.

“Henry—“

“Don’t,” he hissed, stepping forward so that their noses were nearly brushing. “Keep to yourself until you get this nonsense idea from your head. And if you say a word, so help me Carlisle I will not hesitate.”

And without another word, my father stormed from the room, his graceful body slamming the door as his silent footsteps carried him further away from the stunned faces remaining.

It took several moments for the shock to wear off, and when I finally spoke, my voice was hoarse and my throat dry.

“Wha… Carlisle, what the hell was that?” I breathed, still staring between the door and the blonde man.

His sad eyes turned toward me and he shook his head softly. “I’m sorry Colby but I can’t say anything. This is your father’s decision and I have to respect that, even if he is blinded by anger at the moment. I’m sorry.”

I glared, crossing my arms over my chest. “I’m old enough to make my own decisions, Carlisle, and I want to know.”

“Colby, by law you're still 17 and under your father’s liability. I’m sorry.”

I scoffed. “As if human laws apply to any of us here. I have a right to know!”

Carlisle grimaced, and reached to hand me my clothes.

“I know,” he said softly. “But until your father comes around, there’s nothing I can do.”

And with that, he strode quietly from the room.

The silent figure in the corner shifted uncomfortably, and his steps echoed as they headed toward the door.

“Edward?” I tried uselessly as the bronze-haired boy followed behind. But Edward simply gave me the same regretful look as he disappeared with his father.

“What the fuck?” I breathed in exasperation as I let my hands drop against the bed on either side of me. I turned to Jacob. “Do you have any idea what they're talking about?”

His harsh expression didn’t ease as he shook his head and I could tell he was furious that my father was keeping something from me. Something that Carlisle seemed convinced might save my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
soo i'm almost done writing out this story. it's going to be about 48 chapters. i'll start posting a lot more to keep you guys caught up!

hope you enjoyed :)