Status: finished ; )

Thankful for You

Oh, The Things She Does

“Are you going to fidget like that the whole night?” Jack arched one eyebrow at her fingers. Ivory hadn’t even noticed she’d been drumming them against the steering wheel the whole time.

“Sorry,” she murmured and placed her right hand on her lap. Ivory let out a huge sigh and darted her eyes between the road and the rear view mirror.

“It’s fine. I was just wondering if maybe there’s something I can do to help calm you a bit.” His voice was a little more seductive than he’d planned it to be as he reached over and took her hand in his. Ivory felt the immediate relaxation take over her body at his simple touch.

“I’m okay, I promise.” She sounded shaky as she attempted to squeeze his hand. He didn’t bother with anymore reassurances; he knew they wouldn’t do any good. The best thing he could do for her now is just let her know that he cares.

The rest of the twenty minute drive was mildly quiet. She hummed along with the radio while he stared at the scenery passing them. Ivory pulled into the driveway and her eyes scanned over the other cars, looking for familiarity. Then her eyes lit up on the screaming kids than ran by. “Here we go,” she muttered under her breath and got out of the car.

Jack followed suit and smiled as he watched the kids chase each other and squeal, ignoring the two of them. “Are those,” he trailed off, not quite sure what the end of the question was.

“My sisters,” Ivory nodded as she noticed how much they’d grown since the last time she’d seen them.

“I thought you were an only child.” Jack furrowed his eyebrows and turned his attention back to her. She sighed and rolled her eyes.

“I wish. There’s eleven years between us and we’re not very close. She moved out before I met you.” Ivory explained and then winced as she listened to the front door slam open. Panic took over quickly, and naturally. “I forgot to tell you, don’t take anything my mother says to heart. She’s cruel, and my dad as well. Hell, don’t listen to any of them. They’re cynical and will make fun of you with any chance they get.” She hurriedly spoke under her breath so the figure coming down the walk way wouldn’t hear.

“Is that Poison?!” Morgan’s voice was almost as piercing as their mothers. “Poison Ivy! Oh, it’s been so long. How are you?” The tall, blond haired women embraced Ivory. Jack noticed how loose the embrace was and how she still kept a distance away from Ivory.

“I’m doing good. How are you?” Ivory spoke very politely, but Jack could tell it was forced. “How’s Matthew and the girls?” Ivory switched her eyes to the kids and then back to Morgan.

“Things are going fabulous. Matt got another promotion and little Mattie just got accepted to the Prime Academy.” She smiled, hugely and then turned her attention to Jack. Ivory huffed as she watched Morgan scrutinize him. “And who is this?” Ivory opened her mouth, but Jack beat her to it.

“I’m Jack,” he introduced himself and stuck his hand out to shake with hers. Morgan took it attentively, like it was covered with germs. “Ivory’s boyfriend.” He spoke confidently as he smiled genuinely.

Ivory closed her eyes briefly. Why didn’t I see that one coming? She thought as she tried not to giggle at Morgan’s shocked expression. “Oh, I didn’t know you were seeing anyone, Ivies. Did you mention this to mom?” She raised both eyebrows with a smirk on her lips as she dismissed the boy.

“Yes, I did mention we’d have an extra guest.” Ivory choked out while keeping her voice even the best she could. A warm sensation filled her body as she felt Jack’s hand clasp hers.

“Oh,” Morgan pouted, obviously disappointed. “Well, everybody’s inside, so come on.” She nodded toward the house and then turned back around, quickly heading up the sidewalk and into the house.

“You didn’t have to do that,” Ivory whispered as she followed slowly with Jack’s hand still in hers. “Now they’re really going to eat you alive.”

“But now I get to be your boyfriend for the day,” Jack smirked and sneaked a kiss on her cheek before they entered the house.

The place was bright and had a lot of open space. If Jack had speculated about Ivory’s parents wealth, he didn’t have to anymore. Everything in the house looked expensive and easily breakable. “Ivy, dear, it’s about time you showed up.” Her mother entered the room with her arms opened. Ivory didn’t have much of a chance to hug back before her mother let go and stepped back. “And this must be Jack.” She smiled and looked down distastefully as he extended his hand. She took it nonetheless and gave a fake smile. “I’m Alyssa.”

“You knew about Ivy’s boyfriend, and didn’t tell me!” Morgan yelled from the kitchen before she appeared in the doorway. Ivory’s cheeks reddened as all eyes turned to look at her in disbelief.

“She didn’t mention it,” Alyssa eyed her daughter suspiciously and then eyed Jack again, this time letting the disgust fan on her face.

“She said she did.” Morgan chimed in and smirked at the drama she’d just caused. Ivory sent her a small glare.

“Hm, well, I guess it slipped her mind.” Alyssa shrugged and her tone said it all. A disapproving tone that made Ivory want to groan and stomp to her bedroom, like she used to as a kid. “Dinner will be ready in a few hours. You can make yourself at home Jack, but I need to steal Ivy from you so she can help set the table with Morgan.”

“Of course,” Jack nodded and smiled charmingly. He had no intention of letting them break him, or Ivory. He gave her hand a tight squeeze before she was dragged off to the kitchen and he was left with three males staring at him. An awkward silence followed as everyone continued to stare and then the youngest looking male stood up.

“I’m Matthew, it’s nice to meet you.” He shook Jack’s hand and gestured for him to take a seat beside him. He seemed to be the only one who didn’t squint his eyes with disdain when looking at either Ivory or Jack.

“Jack, and it’s great to be here.”

“So, you’re dating Ivy?” The man that sat on Jack’s other side grunted. He looked a bit intimidating, but Jack was determined not to show fear. He had to be strong, for Ivory.

“Yes, sir.” Jack let his sloppy grin take over at the phrase. He’d waited so long to hear it and now it rang in his ears every two seconds.

It was quiet again as the man just stared at Jack and Jack looked back innocently. “She is different.” Matthew interjected, trying to ease over the tension. He’d been in the family long enough to know how to talk kindly about Ivory without setting off anyone else.

“She’s always been different.” The man shook his head and turned his eyes back to the large TV in front of him. Jack took offense to the way he talked about Ivory and wondered if this could possibly be her father. Surely no father would speak with such a disgusted tone when talking about his daughter. But Jack was only beginning to dive into the horror’s Ivory had lived with for years.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm liking the past more than the present lately, what about you guys? tell me your favorite parts, please?
xooxEmber