Status: finished ; )

Thankful for You

And Legs That Went On For Days


“Morning Ivy,” Joe smiled up at the girl as she entered the store. Ivory could barely wave under all her layers. She’d bundled up severely this morning for the slow walk from her house to the store.

“Hey Joe,” she exhaled as her teeth chattered.

“Are we cold?” He chuckled and watched her nod briefly. “I’ll turn the heat up for you doll, just till you warm up some.” Joe smiled and hopped off of his stool and went for the thermostat while Ivory went back to the office.

She slipped her backpack off first, setting it on the floor by the desk. Then came her parker and her jacket, both were also placed on the floor next to the backpack. Ivory slipped off her gloves but decided to leave her scarf and sweater on as she walked back out into the front area. “Thanks,” she mumbled to Joe as her cheeks started to thaw a little.

“You are my best worker,” Joe chuckled a little more and came to rub her arms, trying to warm her up some more. “Why don’t you catch a ride from Jack? You both are scheduled at the same times.”

“Jack has a habit of always being late,” Ivory smiled as she clenched her teeth together hard.

“Well I give you official permission to be late as long as you ride with him. It’s too cold out for you to be walking, crazy,” Joe teased as he let go of her and went back to his bar stool behind the front counter.

“I like the cold,” Ivory shrugged and turned to go sit on the sofa. She slipped her shoes off and pulled her knees up to her chest.

“It’s too cold to walk,” Joe said a little more sternly and stared at her. She bit her bottom lip as she thought about how awkward sitting in a car with Jack would be.

“Alright, I’ll ask him after our shift.” She mumbled into her knees. She could already feel her cheeks burning already at the unsettling conversation.

“I’m sure he’ll be happy to,” Joe chuckled to himself as he dropped his gaze down to his balancing book. It was quiet while she warmed up and watched him scribble in the book, balancing the stores till for the month. “So what are your plans for Christmas?” He was casually bringing up the subject.

“There’s not much. My folks want to go to New York for the weekend, but I don’t think I’m invited.” Ivory admitted, a little embarrassed at the lack of a relationship she had with her parents. They weren’t around a lot, and when they were they still tended to steer clear of her.

“Good, you can come to the traditional Barakat Christmas dinner.” Joe grinned as he snuck a peak at her shocked expression. “My sister’s a pretty decent cook, and afterwards there’s always fun with telling old stories around a fire.” Ivory liked the picture he was making in her mind. It felt so cozy, something she wasn’t used to with her own family.

“I don’t know,” she ran through her mind for an excuse. Nothing was coming to her so she bit her bottom lip.

“Come on, Ivy. Nobody deserves to sit alone at home on Christmas. You’re coming.” Joe decided for her. He felt bad for her. Through the year Ivory had worked for him, they’d bonded a little. She didn’t let people too close to her, so he held their friendship close to him. He saw her almost as a daughter to him.

“I really wouldn’t want to intrude,” Ivory protested, letting her legs stretch out on the sofa now that the warmth was slowly creeping into her bones.

“Nonsense, everyone will love you.” Joe shook his head and threw his pen down. “I’ll send Jack to pick you up around five thirty, so be ready.”

“I don’t want to be a bother, Joe.” Ivory face fell into a pout as a strange sadness encircled her.

“Who’s a bother?” Jack asked as he skipped from the back area. Ivory jumped at his sudden appearance while he quickly took the seat next to her, lifting her legs so he could sit and then laid them on top of his lap.

“Ivy thinks she’ll be a bother at our Christmas dinner.” Joe answered and Jack’s eyes lit up as his head snapped to her.

“You have to come!” Jack cheered, bewildered that he hadn’t thought of the idea first. “My mom bakes the best pecan pie ever!”

Ivory couldn’t help but giggle a little at his childish excitement.

“Her turkey’s not as great, but I’m sure our mom will be there to help out.” Joe added as he watched his nephew interact with her. Joe had never seen the girl open up to anyone, she’d hardly opened up to him. But his nephew had a certain way of making her smile.

“I still don’t know,” Ivory hesitated as she looked from Jack to Joe and then back. Neither one seemed to be giving in.

“Like I said, you’re coming.” Joe smirked as she sighed and threw her head back. “Jack will pick you up,” he smiled and picked up his book and headed for the back. “Oh, and she needs a ride home when you two get off.” Joe winked at the two before he disappeared in his back office.

“You don’t have to take me home.” Ivory spoke without raising her head. It made her throat hurt, but she didn’t want to see his face.

“It’s snowing, of course I’m going to take you home.” Jack’s tone had a ‘duh’ ring to it as he gently squeezed her knee. He was ecstatic about her coming to dinner. Christmas was only three days away. He’d be able to introduce her to everybody and spend the whole evening with her.

“I give up on fighting with you guys,” she groaned and then pulled her head up. “It’s useless.”

“Pretty much,” Jack agreed and chuckled as he rested his own head back against the back of the couch. His hands rested on her legs and his eyes slowly closed. “Wake me when it’s time to go home.”

“Will do,” she mumbled and leaned over to pick up a book that was close by. It didn’t take long for her to lose herself in the story and him to drift off into a soft slumber.
♠ ♠ ♠
so I have a habit of putting these up four at a time. does that make anyone happy?
xooxDee