Breakeven

twenty.

"You're the only thing I know like the back of my hand."

Jonathan and Reese were both horrible at awkward situations. They always had been. When they were younger they had both walked in on Jon's babysitting making out with her boyfriend in the living room when she should have been making them dinner and they both flushed such a deep shade of red their cheeks resembled fire trucks. They didn't stop giggling about it for days and after that they never looked at Jon's babysitter the same way.

But now they were both almost 21 years old and they hadn't walked in on Jon's babysitter making out with her boyfriend. No, this was much different. Jonathan Toews, Captain Serious, Tazer, Jonny, Tow-es (according to Patrick Sharp anyway), whatever you wanted to call him, had called out his best friend's name while he was in the middle of screwing his girlfriend. It was doubtful that they'd get out of this situation with just a few giggles and some blushing.

"So uh...I guess that's why she left?" Reese asked slowly, trying to fill the gap their awkward silence had left.

"Yeah, apparently girls don't like it when you call out some other chick's name," Jon shrugged, a small chuckle passing through his lips. Reese's eyes widened to double their size, not because they were still talking about Jon calling out her name during sex, but because he was being so nonchalant about it. That wasn't like Jonathan. Not at all. "What's the matter?"

"Uhm, well...what does that mean?" She asked dumbly.

"What does what mean?" Jonathan inquired. Reese wasn't sure if he was playing dumb or if he really hadn't understood her. Either way, Reese was a bit frustrated she had to explain herself.

"Well I don't know about you, but I don't think it's exactly normal to call out your childhood friend's name in the sack," Reese said bluntly. Jonathan just shrugged, adjusting himself and causing Reese to blush widely and then smiling.

"I guess it means I was thinking about you," he stated.

"While you were having sex with Alexis?"

"While I was having sex with Alexis," Jonathan confirmed with a nod.

"I'm sorry, but I guess I'm the only one who thinks this is all extremely weird."

"You need to stop reading into this so much," he told her, pushing himself off the couch he was leaning against and crossing the living room and making his way to the kitchen. Reese followed him and watched as he casually opened the fridge and grabbed a Gatorade. He opened it and took a long swig, his eyes trained on Reese the whole time.

"How can I not?" She practically snapped at him. "You kick me out of the house and make me live with Bur for a week and then I come back to get some of my things and you tell me you screamed my name out in bed. Why would I ever just shrug that off?"

"I dunno," he shrugged. "Just don't worry about it. She'll be back once she gets over it."
Reese's jaw literally dropped as she stared at Jonathan, unwilling to believe the words that had just left his mouth actually just left his mouth. "Are you kidding me?"

"No...?" Jon asked skeptically.

"You're such a fucking idiot. Like, I don't even know where to start," Reese shook her head, turning around on her heel and stomping into her room. She threw a few things into a tote bag that was shoved under her bed and quickly exited her room. Stopping to glare at Jonathan one last time before slamming the door in his face.

"Reese, stop being so sensitive!" Jonathan called after her. She didn't even stop to justify him with a response. As she waited for the elevator to reach her floor she grabbed her cell phone out, and true to her word immediately called Adam.

"Are you two kissing and making up now?" His goofy voice asked smoothly over the airwaves.

"Jonathan Toews is the biggest asshole I've ever met in my life!" Reese screeched so loudly, an older couple who were quietly making their way to their apartment glanced over and gave her odd looks.

"What?" Adam chuckled, clearly thinking Reese was joking with him.

"I'm fucking serious Adam."

"What did he do?"

The elevator make its little dinging noise and the doors opened, allowing Reese to step inside and press the button to the ground level. Which she did with must haste, taking her aggression out on the button that had a star on it.

"That fucker has the nerve to scream my name out while he's fucking Alexis, then tell me not to think into it, then tells me that she'll be back, and then tells me to stop being so sensitive. Like, is he fucking serious right now? That doesn't even sound like something you would do," Reese explained angrily.

"I'm going to ignore that blatant insult you just threw at me and focus on the fact for once in his like Tazer's actually acting like a normal 20 year old guy."

"You're fucking defending him?"

"No, I'm just saying- the kid's more mature than me. And I'm like, seven years older. Makes me look bad, ya know? So I'm just happy for once he looks like the douche and the girl is gonna come and cry on my shoulder." Reese could virtually see Adam wriggling his eyebrows over the phone and it made her roll her eyes.

"I will not hesitate to hang up this phone right now."

"Okay, okay, okay. But remember, I'm not a chick. I don't do well with this whole sympathy thing."

Reese rolled her eyes again, "Whatever I can just call Davey."

"Do what you want, girl," Adam said. Reese let out a small laugh, told him goodbye, and then hung up. As her thumb hovered over the send button to dial Davey's number, the elevator doors opened and Reese was pretty surprised to see him standing on the other side of the doors. He had put a shirt on but still looked just as disheveled as he had upstairs.

"Yes?" Reese asked rudely, sticking her hip out and crossing her arms over her chest.

"We should talk," Jonathan panted. It was obvious he had taken the stairs and Reese briefly wondered why he hadn't just caught the elevator with her.

"Now you want to talk?"

"Yes," he nodded, gulping loudly.

"About what Jonathan? About what a fucking idiot you are?" She spat at him. "Or about how rude and fucking selfish you are? Or how about how you don't know the first thing about communicating your feelings to people? Especially people you care about. I swear, everyone thinks you're some amazing person, but if they only knew what a complete douch-" Jonathan cut her off by pressing his lips to hers, her face cupped in his large paws, and his chocolate eyes closed as he savored her taste. He knew she wouldn't let her kiss him for long and he was just savoring what he could. Finally Reese placed her hand on his chest and pushed him away with one forceful push.

"Oh no," she shook her head. "You don't just get to fuck up and think I'm going to forgive you by kissing me."

"Reese you don't understand, you're the only person I know is always gonna be there," he tried.

"Your sweet talk is gonna have to get a lot better than that too," she narrowed her eyes at him before making a swift exit out his apartment building.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I've been neglecting this and I feel really bad about it :(
I guess I've just sort of lost intrest...and that really sucks. But I'm not gonna cop out and just end it here. I'm gonna try and go on with it as best I can. But you guys are gonna have to give me a little time! Hopefully inspiration hits me soon.
Lemme know what you think!
xoxo.