Sequel: An Old Beginning
Status: Complete

Guilty Pleasures

Chapter 17

Naomi avoided Gerard for most of the night. She wasn’t mad at him about his comment, but the situation would have been too awkward if her lover and her date were both within close proximity of her.

Naomi hesitantly danced with Martyn, trying not to focus on the awkward way his body felt against hers. She felt like she was in Junior High again, with a strange boy awkwardly wrapped around her.

“I’ve had a really good time tonight, Nae,” Martyn said softly as they moved in a slow circle.

Naomi pulled back to look at him, smiling softly. “Me, too,” she said. She was surprised that she actually meant it. Although she would have preferred
to have been dancing in the arms of a certain chaperone, she knew that was an unrealistic dream. Martyn was a nice guy, who went out of his way to make sure she had a good time.

Nothing could have prepared her for the shock of his lips gently meeting hers. Naomi tried to pull away without actually jumping out of his arms, not wanting him to feel bad, but not liking the feel of someone else kissing her, either.

“I’m sorry,” Martyn said with a shy smile. “Should I not have done that?”

“Martyn, it’s not that I didn’t like it…it’s just I’m not looking to get involved with anyone right now.”

‘Not entirely a lie,’ Naomi thought to herself.

“That’s okay,” Martyn replied with a small shrug. “I guess that’s what I expected.”

“Mart-“

“No, it’s okay,” he said as he backed away. “If you don’t mind, I think I’ll head on out…unless you want me to make sure you get home okay.”

“It’s okay,” Naomi said with a wave of her hand. “I’ll take the limo back
with Jo and Pete.”

“Okay…I did have a really good time tonight.”

“I did, too,” Naomi said with a smile as he walked away. She hated hurting his feelings, but she knew it was better this way. She definitely didn’t want to lead him on and it wasn’t fair to whatever she and Gerard had or might have together.

Naomi turned to scan the crowded gym looking for Gerard and felt her heart drop into her stomach when she saw him dancing with Eliza Cuts.

*I don’t owe you anything*

Gerard's words haunted her as she watched Eliza laugh at something he’d said. His eyes met hers and she felt the familiar knot in her stomach that accompanied his gaze. Only this time it wasn’t lust- it was anxiety. The look in his eyes made her feel like she had been replaced…permanently.

Naomi felt the tears spring to her eyes as her lips tightened. She turned and walked back to the table, saying a quick goodnight to Jo and Pete.

Naomi saw their linked hands casually resting on top of the table and felt a brief smile flicker on her lips, happy that her friends had each other.
Pete
“You don’t want to ride back with us, Naenae?” Xander asked.

“I’m not feeling well,” Buffy replied, knowing it was the truth. “I’m just going to call my mom”

Naomi walked out of the gym, feeling her anxiety grow with every step she took. Every step that separated her from the man she felt a natural pull toward.

------
Thanks for all the support dudes =] Yay for updating?