Australia

Chapter Thirteen

Sam’s POV

“Joe!” I called as he hit the water.

“Kevin!” Nick yelled.

“Nick!” Kevin yelled back at him.

Before I knew what I was doing, I threw my bag into Nick’s arms and jumped off the barrier into the harbour.

“Sam!” I heard Nick’s voice before I hit the water.

The cold hit me like a brick wall. Whose stupid idea was this? It’s almost freaking winter and I’m diving into the harbour. But then again, I was diving in after Joe Jonas. I opened my eyes against the muck of the water and saw him. I swam to the surface. Nick and Kevin’s faces were both a mask of horror. I took a deep breath and dove back down. Swimming deeper and deeper, reaching for his hand. When I finally reached it, I grabbed his wrist and kicked my feet as hard as I could, dragging him to the surface of the water. When I broke the surface I gasped for air. I looked at Joe who’s eyes were still closed.

“Oh my gosh,” I heard Kevin shout from the docks.

I swam towards them, pulling Joe along with me. Both Nick and Kevin grabbed one of Joe’s arms and pulled him out of the water. Thank fully, because it was nearly dark, no one saw the commotion unfolding.

After Joe was out, Nick grabbed my hand and pulled me out. I offered him a friendly smile and knelt beside Joe.

“Come on you loser,” I told him, shaking him gently. “Wake up!”

He didn’t even stir. My CPR instincts took over and I placed my ear to his chest.

“He’s breathing,” I told his brothers who were both kneeling on his other side.

“Oh great,” Kevin sighed. “I didn’t kill our brother.”

I shot him a look that could kill before tilting his head back. I pinched his nose and sealed his mouth with mine; breathing into his mouth. I gave him three compressions; repeating the action three times. Just as I went to breathe into his mouth again, he coughed, spluttering water all over his chin. I ran my fingers through his hair, pushing his soaking wet fringe off his face. He looked up at me with his big brown eyes.

“You gave us quite the scare, Joe,” Nicks voice told him.

Joe coughed again and sat up. He leaned against my legs for support.

“If you broke this, you owe me a phone,” Joe pulled his phone from his pocket. Surprisingly, the screen lit up. Kevin sighed a sigh of relief.

“I’m sorry man,” he chewed his lip. “I didn’t mean for you to fall.”

“You’re lucky,” Nick told Kevin standing up and offering a hand to Joe. He took it and Nick pulled him to his feet. After Joe was up he offered his hand to me. I took it and didn’t let go. I got scared i was going to watch a Jonas Brother die in front of me.

“Okay,” Nick said, walking towards the car. “Let’s get away from the water.”

We walked in silence. Kevin was obviously feeling guilty. He didn’t look at Joe at all.

“I’ll drive,” Kevin offered, handing out his hand to me. “I’m the only one with my full license.”

Sadly, I knew this was true. I handed over the keys and climbed into the back with Joe. I instructed Kevin to push the big button under the dash, and slowly the soft top roof went up over our heads.

“It’s cold,” Joe complained into my ear.

“I know, honey,” I wrapped my arms around him, forgetting that I too, was drenched. “We’ll be home soon.” He didn’t tell me to let go.