Only You Could Love Me This Way

Accept That

No one spoke for five whole minutes. Paul was just staring at me and I was looking every which way except at him. Sam, Seth, and Jacob all stared at Paul wondering what he was going to do, but what could he do?

When he explained everything to me he said as an imprint he could be anything I needed him to be, so there was no problem. This Sarah girl was apparently everything he wanted and needed, so why should I stand in the way of that. He wanted her and not me and I could accept that. These things are stressful, you know finding your soul mate and all, but not wanting to be with them. I understand. Who wants destiny to pick out the one who was to be your forever?

"Lauren," Sam spoke up after a few moment, but didn't really know what to say when I looked at him. I could still feel Paul's eyes on me, but I didn't want to look at him. That pull was there though and I was beginning to wonder if that was the whole imprinting thing. "Things will change and you're not gonna be able to stop it." Sam told me, but I just shook my head looking away from him.

"No, he said that as his imprint he would be whatever I needed him to be," I paused pointing at Paul. Jacob was about to say something, but I started to speak once again. "I want him to do what he wants. I need him to not be anything." I said looking at the three shape-shifters standing on the other side of the room. Taking in a deep breath I slowly turned to look at Paul.

I shouldn't have though, because the look on his face just tore me apart on the inside. It physically hurt me to see that pain in his eyes and that sadness being written onto his face. But why? He said Sarah was the only one for him and, yet here he is acting like Sarah didn't even exist anymore. There was another pull inside of me saying that I needed to stop, but I didn't listen to that feeling or pull.

"Lauren-"

"Stop," I snapped before Paul could speak. "If you are hell-bent on that Sarah girl, go for it. Because I have enough problems and have had my fair share of pain and sadness and if another tragic thing happens in my life, I don't think I could deal with it. In fact I know I wouldn't be able to survive it." I explained and pulled the blanket off of my shoulders.

"We know it's hard and all Lauren, but really once everything straightens out it'll be perfect." Jacob told me and I looked at him sending him a harsh glare, like I would believe his words. Had I know coming to Forks would have caused all this drama I never would have came in the first place.

"No," I disagreed looking at each one of them. "I heard you." I said looking at Paul. He stared back at me for a moment and looked away ashamed of himself.

"Heard what?" Seth asked me.

"Him. Sarah being the only one, I heard. Look," I paused and ran my fingers through my hair trying to calm myself down. "I'm sorry, but I didn't ask for this and if I have a choice I choose not to do this, let him be with Sarah. It's obviously what he wants." I explained and looked at Paul who was now looking back at me. And it seemed like every word I said cut him like a knife. He stared at me with pain filled eyes and I could feel myself breaking down.

"Lauren, please." Paul begged, but I didn't know why.

"No," I shook my head. "I don't want to be hurt. Take me home." The last part was directed at Jacob. He sat still on the coffee table in the middle of the room not knowing if he should or not.

Standing up to my feet I slowly stumbled over to the kitchen area heading for the glass doors. Someone's hand gently fell onto my shoulder and I turned around looking at Paul.

"Lauren I want to be something to you." He said and I pushed his hand from my shoulder.

"We're not going to be anything Paul," I said. "Accept that."

"I can't." he said softly.

"I heard you." I told him.

"It was out of anger," Paul told me taking my hand in his to keep me from turning away. "I didn't want to accept the fact that I had found the one for me." He explained and I could see that he was being honest.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because I've never felt like this before." He whispered and my lips twitched slightly. I wanted to smile, the way he stared into my eyes, and the warm touch of his hand. His words had so much truth behind them it was like a slap across the face.

"But what about Sarah?" I asked.

"She's not you." He smiled at me and I chuckled softly looking down at the ground. Before I knew it he pulled me into him and placed his arm gently around me. It felt like I was melting into him, he was so warm and gentle. Finally I lifted my arms and placed them around his neck pulling myself even closer to him.

This guy was a stranger to me, but I felt this strange need to stay at his side for whatever reason. Paul gently stroked my back and it felt so wonderful as he did. Closing my eyes I just relaxed against his muscled body. His bare skin so warm like a fire. It made me feel so tired and I just wanted to cuddle next to him. He placed his hand gently on the back of my head and gently stroked it as well. Paul lifted his chin for the top of my head and kissed it.

"Ahem." Seth cleared his throat. Paul pulled away from me slightly, but still kept me in his arms. I remained close to him resting my head against him as I felt the exhaustion taking over me.

"So this is all good?" Jacob asked gesturing to the two of us.

"If he really means what he says." I spoke looking up at Paul and he looked down at me.

"I do." He smiled at me and I let my eyes close as he leaned down kissing my forehead.

"Good." Sam smiled happily as Jacob and Seth high-fived each other.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading everyone!
Loved the comments keep them coming!

-Mimi