Only You Could Love Me This Way

The Truth

"You have to tell her," Sam's voice came from behind me and it was in a low voice, but it was definitely a firm command. I didn't remember where I was; I just remembered being attacked and then being saved by a pack of wolves. Though that could have been a dream, it had to have been. "Today." Sam hissed and I slowly opened my eyes.

It was dark aside from the light coming from behind me. I was laying on a light blue couch with my head resting on a comfy pillow. There was a red blanket laid over me and through the TV across from me I could see reflections. Paul was standing in the corner of the kitchen while Sam was across from him. Jacob was sitting down at the table with Seth who had his head down.

"Why should I?" Paul grumbled. I wanted to sit up, but at the same time I wanted to know what they were talking about. This place looked like Emily's house; in fact I'm pretty sure that it is her house.

"Because she's now involved, if you recall." Jacob spoke up for Sam. Paul gritted his teeth and tightly gripped the white countertop of Emily's cozy family oriented kitchen. I watched the reflections closely as Seth's head lifted and he looked at Paul.

"Why don't you wanna tell her?" Seth asked and they all looked at him. "I mean you care about her, other wise you wouldn't have saved her." Seth explained and that did make sense. Paul shook his head looking at Seth.

"It our job to protect the people here, it meant nothing." Paul growled.

"Right," Jacob snickered shaking his head. "So that's why you got so worked up when those bloodsuckers were about to kill her. It our job." Jacob said the last part sarcastically and Seth chuckled softly. Sam looked at the two at the table and then turned his attention to Paul. The handsome man was trembling a bit as he glared down at Seth and Jacob who seemed to careless about how angry he looked.

"Look I only care about Sarah." Paul growled and then my mind flashed back to the girl he was arguing with in front of the Daycare. I had thought that it was over then and there at that very moment, but he didn't seem to think so. My eyes drifted to the carpet floor and then back up at the TV's reflections.

"You say that now, but it's gonna change." Sam told him, but Paul shook his head saying that that wouldn't happen. He said Sarah was the only one. The three guys all sighed in defeat not wanting to argue with Paul. What I was trying to understand was why or how did I fit into any of this?

What was their job? What did Paul have to tell me? Why couldn't we just put all of this behind us?

"The truth is Paul," Jacob said slowly not looking at his friend. "She's the one." He shrugged his shoulders making it plain and simple. Seth nodded in agreement along with Sam. Paul eyed all of them for a moment before crossing his arms over his chest. He let out a heavy sigh and looked away from all of them staring off towards the TV.

"That pull is only going to get stronger and stronger," Sam paused and Paul slowly looked over to him. "It's meant to be." He said.

I had enough of listening and just sitting there. Pretending to be asleep was over it was time for the real deal. Grunting I slowly pushed myself up and sat upright. All four of the guys in the kitchen turned to look at me. They all quickly gathered around the couch as I sat up. Most likely I looked like trash after a hard day it was to be expected. Rubbing my eyes I looked at each one of them and smiled weakly.

"Are you alright?" Seth asked me in a concerned voice.

"I think so." I muttered as my feet touched the floor. My head spun a bit making me feel weird and my stomach hurt because I was really hungry.

"You're lucky." Sam told me and I looked up at him as he stood behind the couch his arms crossed over his bare chest. I didn't respond to his statement, cause I sure as hell didn't feel that lucky. "You could have been killed." He said. Now I felt a bit lucky, better to be in pain and alive rather than actually dead.

"What happened?" I asked in a scratchy voice. Clearing my throat I sank back down into the couch and looked at Paul. I wasn't the only one though, everyone turned to him after I asked the question. He licked his lips and sat down on the arm of the couch looking down at the floor. "I remember those guys and then huge wolves and you were there." I said as I searched my memory and pointed to Paul.

"Lauren," Paul paused and I looked at him with worry. "I didn't mean for any of this to happen." He explained, but it didn't make much sense to me. Did those guys attack me because of him? If people would just talk straight there would be no confusion!

"Stop," I said and he looked at me with soft eyes, I'd never seen his eyes like that before. He looked like he actually cared and was scared for me. Swallowing hard I put my hand to my head and shook my head. "Tell me everything from the beginning." I said looking to him. He took in a deep breath and scratched the back of his neck.

"Okay." He said softly and started from the very beginning.

__________

My world had just caved in. Paul was standing across from me awaiting my words. However I could find any words that could describe my thoughts. Hell I didn't really have any thoughts it was all blank in my mind. Everything he had just told me pushed away any and every thought I had ever had. Now I was just sitting on Emily's couch staring blankly at him. Looking away I licked my lips and let out a breath my shoulders falling.

"Lauren," he whispered my name, but it was like it echoed. Looking up at him with teary eyes he sighed softly and walked over to me. I stared at him as he knelt down before me and placed his warm hand onto my face. Trembling slightly he stared into my eyes for what seemed like hours. The others were still there, but they were dead silent. Paul looked down at my hands that rested in my lap. "I don't have to be apart of your life if you don't want me to be." He explained and I let out a shuddered breath as his hand moved away from my face.

"But-" Seth was about to protest, but Jacob shushed him.

"I don't understand." I said after processing the whole shape-shifter, imprinting, and vampire ordeals. Paul looked to me and I licked my lips brushing my hair back behind my shoulders.

"What?" he asked me and I took in a deep breath.

"So you fall for me and I get clobbered," I asked looking at him. "And if I fall for you I still would get clobbered. That doesn't seem fair to me."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all for the comments!
Please keep them coming.

Also I would love to see a few more comments on:He Named Me Lady.

I love all of you who comment and subcribe.
<3

-Mimi