Sequel: Queens of the Night

Kings of War

Xander

Xander Donavon looked over the "court", his eyes narrowed at any who dared look at him with even the slightest hint of disrespect. Xander wasn't a man to smile or laugh. He was an intimidating bastard and those who knew him knew it well enough to never question it. His fellow king, Shaun Damon, was the only man that Xander might consider a friend. And coming from the Scottish Jacobite, that was saying a whole hell of a lot. The court waited in silence. Even Elizabeth was silent at his side. His Lord Protector, Senga, stood behind them ready to risk her life for either of them at a moments notice. Not that it would be necessary. Xander knew how to fight and he knew how to kill. Senga was present to protect Elizabeth, not him. That was the way it had been since he and Shaun had decided to take the city for their own and rule it. The messengers before them stood anxious and uncertain. Xander had already decided that no matter the news the men were going to die. They had not bowed or taken a knee when they had been introduced to the vampire kings. That alone earned them death.

"Demitri demands that you hand over your lands and your crowns and swears you allegiance. If you do not. Your lands will burn and you will watch those you love die before you waste in his dungeons," the bolder of the two messengers announced. His nose was stuck up in the air. Xander wanted to bite it off. A small sneer twisted his lips upward. "Do you find this amusing?" the man demanded angrily. "You will show due respect to Demitri or you will die!"

"Is it that we shall waste away or that we will die?" Xander asked in his Scottish burr standing up. "I donna think ye ken quite the situtation ye are in laddie. Ye're in our keep. Ye're on our lands. And ye dare to question our rule. You! Boy! Ye will return to yer Demitri and tell him what you see here." Xander sneered slowly walking down the stairs of the dais to stand before the messengers. "Ye've heard it told," his voice boomed through the chamber. "that one is not tae kill the messenger. And if I had any respect fer such words...I'd consider taking them to heart." Xander's hand shot forward and ripped out the man's throat. He threw the flesh, bone, and cartilage aside. It was a sad waste of blood, but there was no way in hell that he would drink such dirty blood. His eyes were dark as they glared up at the other messenger. He dragged his hand across his face, leaving a trail of blood. A stench filled the room as the messenger lost whatever had been in his bowels. "Now I suggest ye leave before yer stench offends me an I kill ye too."

Xander turned back towards the dais and heard as the messenger scrambled from the room. "You're too damn nice," Shaun declared as Xander walked up the stairs.

"Don't ye piss yer britches ye horny bastard," Xander said shoving his hands in his pockets. "He willna make it out of the city. Do ye honestly think I'd allow such an insult to pass me or ye untouched?" he asked arching a dark eyebrow. "Now Senga, ye've had information from the search?" Xander asked calling forward the buxom woman.

Senga moved forward to stand before the thrones. She waited until Xander was seated before she took a knee. "My spies have told me that there is a woman with a little boy who is living on the outskirts of the city. She has been there for the past six months it seems. No one knows where she came from. She hasn't even told anyone her name. Not even her boss knows. Just calls her Chaste. They know the boys name though. They know that. It's Jason."

Xander turned to Shaun, his leg sprawled out and his chin resting on his fist. "So tell me then Shaun...were those spies such a fuckin' waste of time then?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright so this is the first chapter of my joint story with my buddy taylorbean. These characters are ours and original. We didn't take them from anyone so don't even accuse and if you try to steal our babies we will have your head. This first chapter is more like a prologue, but every chapter will be titled with the name of character narrating it. So I hope you tag along for the ride and enjoy it!