Sequel: Queens of the Night

Kings of War

Eli

"Lady Elisha?" the knight was older, it was the only way that she didn't snap at him for saying her full name. Eli sighed and ran a hand through her red hair. Bodies had already started coming in from the front. Shaun and Xander were there. Seeing all these bodies...it made her wonder. It made her afraid. She couldn't lose them. No scratch that. Xander had always been a pain in the ass and even if he was Shaun's friend and fellow ruler, she couldn't lose Shaun. Not after the confession she had made to him. She had taken Jason away before, but that had been under mistaken circumstances. He needed his father to do for him, what she couldn't. And she needed him. It was all going to sound very corny if she ever said it out loud, but she knew it was too true to go against.

She slipped out as a wounded soldier was being carried in. The knights Shaun had sent to guard her didn't even notice until it was too late to stop her. Hell would freeze over before she rolled over and just took orders for no reason. If Shaun could fight than so could she. Eli picked up a gun as she moved through the men. She wasn't sure when it happened, but at some point, she looked behind her, and a group of eight young knights were trailing her, ready to fight with her or defend her. If they had wanted to take her back, it was too late now.

The first enemy was her kill. She shot him without even flinching. She knew later that it might hurt, but at the moment, she was a mother and a lover. She wasn't thinking about the fact that she was killing other people. She was thinking about the threat to Shaun and to their son. As soon as that was dealt with, then she could deal with everything else. After the third dead soldier, things began to blur. Bodies were bodies. There were no faces. It was merely a sea of enemies that she had to wade through to get to Shaun.

She knew she was at the front. She saw the flag, Shaun's and Xander's. The knight carrying it fell, the flag, wavering with him as his body plummeted. Another knight ran forward and took it up. Eli turned her eyes out onto the battle that lay before her. She was surrounded by death and blood. Then she saw the man and the knife running for Shaun's back. For his heart. She didn't even scream. She lifted up the rifle in her hands, slick with sweat. She took aim. She fired.

The man was dead as the knife began to descend.

A smug smirk lit her face as Shaun turned to face his enemy what would have been a moment too late. He looked up and saw her. She knew he would be furious, but that would have to wait until later. Then she felt pain and fear spread through her body. Shaun looked scared and furious all at once.

She may have saved Shaun's life...but what was the price she was about to pay?
♠ ♠ ♠
I know vague! And you can hate me for it! There is a reason for it though! I promise!

And, surprise!, we have this lovely fan banner! Thanks to Lynnie Vicious

Image

Comments? Subscriptions? BOTH?!