‹ Prequel: Random Thoughts
Sequel: Adjustments

Obsticles

No More Hope

Catherine and Nick were going through Emily’s dorm, Nick couldn’t help but get emotional while looking on her wall hat was covered with pictures.

“This Aaron guy has no idea what he’s gotten himself into…” Catherine said, looking in Riley’s nightstand table.

Nick growled “Yes, he does…and when I find him--”

“Nicky!” Catherine said, Nick turned to Catherine, who was looking at the door.

The CSI’s turned to the door, Riley was playing with the sleeve of her shirt.

“I know it’s a crime scene, but I need my Humanities book…” Riley said.

Catherine sighed “I’m sorry, but we can’t.” she said.

Riley nodded “It’s okay, Catherine…you’re just doing your job…” she said.

“Um…who are you?” Catherine asked, crossing her arms.

Riley smiled “Emily’s best friend, and her roommate…Riley. And you’re Catherine, and you’re Nick.” She said, turning then pointing to the both of them.

Nick smiled “Well, Riley…we’re going to have to ask you to leave.” He said, trying to be as nice as possible.

Riley understood, her eyes glanced towards Emily’s bed, noticing something under the bed. Her forehead crinkled as she got on her knees and looked under the bed.

“…Emily didn’t keep her video camera under the bed.” She said, looking up at Nick who also looked under the bed and saw the video camera.

There was a broken tape, and another one in the camera.

Catherine gasped “…maybe there’s something on it.” She implied.

Nick sighed “Hopefully.” He said.

___________________________________________

The battery on the camera was dead, which made the assumption that it had been left on for awhile.

After getting everything to work, the team circled the small TV and watched the video closely.

At first, there was nothing was static, when the camera turned on it was Emily. She was unconscious and strapped to a chair.

Aaron Johnson then came on “…is this what you wanted, Mr. Grissom? All I wanted was your daughter, and you took her away from me. She is mine. And only mine.” He said, his voice full of anger.

Nick held onto the chair next to him and Catherine closed her eyes.

They heard a muffled voice, it was Emily. She was awake.

“Let me go.” She said, her strong voice said, though the camera was not on her. Aaron dropped the camera and all that could be heard was screaming, yelling, and a fight going on.

The camera remained under the bed until it went back to static.

Sara turned off the TV, everyone held their breathe as Sara turned to everyone in shock “…well, we can confirm that Aaron Johnson is involved with Emily’s disappearance.” She said.

Warrick took in a deep breathe “According to admissions, Aaron didn’t return for the spring semester.” He said, waiting for somebody to carry out more information.

Grissom was in a state of shock, he was almost sure that his unsettling thoughts of Emily being dead or gone forever were true.

“…Grissom.” Catherine said.

Grissom looked up and at everybody who was staring at him, waiting for him to say something to the team.

“We don’t have anywhere else to look. We’ve got a dead end, all we can do is wait.” Greg muttered, lost in thoughts and not believing himself and the words that he was proclaiming softly.

Nick punched his fist into the table “NO…no, I’m going to go find her myself! Connecticut is not that big of a state!” he said, grabbing his jacket and leaving.

It was pure silence. The awkwardness and strain of everyone’s emotions kept everyone at bay, not sure WHAT to do about Nick and his uncontrollable anger.

Catherine sighed “We’ll find something…I guarantee it.” She said, grabbing the case file and walking out of the meeting room.

Warrick and Sara turned to one another before clearing their throats and leaving, letting Grissom and Greg be alone.

Grissom looked at Greg, who kept looking down at the table, rubbing smudges away as he thought.

“Y’know, Emily used to tell me, when I would freak out about something, that the sun would always rise the next day no matter what,” Greg began to say, looking up at Grissom “…but I don’t believe her anymore.” He said, before getting up and leaving the meeting room.

________________________________________________________________________

Nick had been M.I.A for the past couple of days, Warrick and Greg were pretty sure Nick was being serious when he said he would travel all over Connecticut just to find Aaron and Emily.

“This is the same goddamn file!” Warrick said, finally letting for of his control and throwing all the papers around.

Greg sighed “Take is easy, man.” He said, getting up to get all the papers back together.

Warrick stood up “NO…I can’t! Greg, I raised this girl, as did Catherine and Nick…and all I can think about is what’s gonna happen if we find her body in a ditch?” he asked, turning away from Greg.

Greg looked up at Warrick disgusted “What the fuck is your problem?? Everybody is losing their hope and their minds!” Greg yelled, throwing the papers back on the ground “…it’s like, this isn’t even ABOUT Emily anymore.” He said, dramatically walking out of the room.

Warrick’s cell phone rang, he was annoyed as he answered his phone “WHAT?” he yelled into the receiver.

It was Nick.

“…I think I found her.” He said in a soft tone.

Warrick was confused “What do you mean, you THINK you found her?” he asked, turning away from the room entrance.

Nick sighed “I saw Aaron Johnson and another male walk out of a storage building, they locked the door.” He said.

Warrick looked up at the window and sighed “…where are you, man?” he asked, grabbing his coat and walking out of the building.

“I’m in Bridgeport.” Nick said, looking around the area to make sure nobody was watching him.

Warrick looked at his watch “That’s about a thirty minute drive. I’ll get Grissom, meet you there.” He said before hanging up the phone.