Forever Is Fine

Seven.

Tuesday, at exactly three o’clock in the evening, Destery stood by the mail box; clad in her white snow boots and ear muffs. She was certain the mailman would come today. Little flurries fell in Destery’s hair as she watched Kyle walk around in his house; his headphones were in and his mouth held a full pizza while he scuffled across the floor. Destery smiled before frowning again; how long did it take for a mailman to drop a letter off. Scraping her boot against the snow, Destery felt a gust of wind; she shivered before running across the street to Kyle’s house. If the mail man came she would see from Kyle’s window.

Running her fingers across her hair, Destery knocked on the red door. She could see her breath as she did this and wished Kyle would open the door; though she knew he wouldn’t be able to hear her anyways. Huffing, Destery touched the cold handle and opened the door before sliding in the warm house. Kyle stood in the hallway, the pizza hung from his mouth, and in the time it took Destery to get from her mailbox to the door, he had taken his shirt off to reveal a nicely toned chest and creamy skin.

Kyle’s pizza dropped from his mouth as his hands went to cover his shirtless body, “Oh-uh-“ he cleared his throat before going on, “I didn’t know you were coming over.”

Closing her eyes, Destery laughed, “its fine Kyle. It’s just I know you were home and I was bored.”

“Let me uh- put my shirt back on.” Destery could hear Kyle bending down to pick up the cold piece of pizza and then scuttle back to his room. Chuckling, Destery opened her eyes and went to sit in the living room to wait for Kyle. Looking around Destery noticed that Kyle’s parents had changed the room around again. The walls, which were a light beige color, were now a dark grey with a dark pink lining the ceiling, the television, which used to sit in front of the window, was now placed along the far wall and the couch sat in front of it. The stands were matched to a newly furnished wooden floor and curtains hung from the big bay window. Frowning, she could see the snow was still coming down; winter was her least favorite season.

“Sorry Destery. I wouldn’t have had my shirt off if I knew you were coming over.” Kyle said as he came to sit on the couch beside her, “What’s going on missy?”

Looking at Kyle, Destery noticed the small green ring around his black pupils, “I was just bored and I was waiting on the mail but it seems like he’s never gonna come.” Destery sighed and let her head come to rest on the back of the plush couch.

“Why are you waiting for the mail to come?” Kyle asked as his fingers fidgeted in his lap, “I mean uh- sorry to be nosy.” he gave a small smile.

“Well uh-well-okay, you’ll think I’m crazy for this.” Destery looked down at her lap; her legs were crossed and her hands picked at each other.

“Well go on little miss smarty-pants,” As Kyle said this he poked her in the side and chuckled.

“Well okay, here it goes. You know William, down the street William, right? Well his friend wrote him a letter. Obviously he didn’t know he died and he didn’t get the address right. He mixed up the numbers and got mine instead. Anyways, so I thought I should write back telling him that his friend had died and that he could tell me what he was going to tell William because maybe it would feel like he was telling William. And now I’m waiting for his letter back.”

Kyle looked at her cautiously, “Uh- Destery. He could be a serial killer pretending to be William’s friend.”

Destery gave a loud laugh, “I doubt it. I mean, he’s Williams’s friend and Will always had amazing friends.” Gazing at Kyle, Destery could see worry etched into her eyes and forehead,” I really do doubt it Kyle.”

“Does your mom know about this?”

“Of course Kyle. My mom is perfectly fine with it.” Destery defended herself against his question.

“Oh; okay.” Kyle’s tone was unsure and guarded, “If you’re mom’s okay with it.”

Destery gasped as she peeked out the window and saw the mailman stop at her mailbox, “Kyle, I got to go. See you later” She jumped from the couch and jogged to the door. By the time she was outside and crunching across the snow the mailman had already left and she could feel Kyle’s eyes following her; she knew he was worried and yet somehow sort of disappointed in her.

Reaching inside the mailbox a single letter laid there. It was white and had a small hurried written address; with only one postage stamp. Destery got the letter from the mailbox and shut the flap before looking down at the letter. It was light and simple; something Destery liked. Turning around she gave a wave to Kyle and then slipped back up her walk and into her house.

Her mother was dancing around the living room when she came in but suddenly stopped as Destery looked at her with a questioning look, “What?” she laughed and continued to dance again. There wasn’t even music played, Destery had noticed.

“Mom he wrote back. Should I read it now?” Again Destery glanced down at the simple letter before looking back to her mom; who was still dancing.

“Well honey, you have been a bit riled up about it and now you have it. Go on and read it.” Alex smiled at her daughter before dancing into the kitchen.

Destery watched her mom twirl until she disappeared before going to sit down at the desk; she glanced out the window and could see Kyle standing there with a camera. He always did like taking pictures of the landscape. Looking back to the letter, Destery felt as if it weighed a million pounds in her hands. She ran her hands around the envelope until she got the sealed part. She pushed her index finger until the flap and tore it open before sliding the white paper out. She unfolded the creased letter and began to read his tale.

Several minutes later, Destery let the letter fall to the desk top. She couldn’t believe how hard he had it, how he could be so responsible but she did understand. Grabbing a pencil she started to write her letter on another piece of paper.

Dear Tanner,

I was also shocked when I received this letter. I have to admit, I didn’t think you would write me back or even open the letter I had sent before.

Also, I’m sorry if I sounded nosy when I told you could tell me the story about your sister and mom. I shouldn’t have suggested you tell me when you don’t know me but I’m glad you did and I’m glad it made me feel better after you had written it to me.

When you told me about Bentley and your mom and your dad, I will admit, I was shocked. Firstly because I know how feel about your dad. My dad died too and it hurt me a lot because I am just like him. Secondly because I can’t say I know how you feel about your mom because truly I don’t. Thirdly because it sounds like you have it hard and have to be responsible and your shouldn’t have to because you’re still a kid.

Though, I am glad that you care so much for your sister that you are giving up so much. I like seeing people care for each other like that. Though I don’t have a brother or a sister, I know how you feel. My mom is a wonderful person but she only has me to rely on to make her happy. She sees so much of my father put into me that I know it hurts her.

If I can help out any with the petition for your sister please let me know. I’m amazing at writing essays and doing research. I would be happy to help you.

Destery.

Re-reading what she wrote, Destery smiled; she was satisfied with herself. Folding the letter Destery placed it into a white envelope and sealed the opening. Glancing towards outside, she could see the snow coming down still. Destery huffed before getting up and slipping outside and walked to the mailbox. Kyle had already moved from the window by then and sat on the couch; she saw that he was watching an old cartoon. Licking her lips, Destery opened the mailbox and pushed the letter in and pulled the flag up. She turned gazed into her house.

She could see her desk at the window and her computer screen had turned blank. She could see the couch facing the television and some candles lit on the table. Walking back up the walk way, Destery opened her door and walked to her room.

It was cold in her dark room as she walked in. Flipping on the light, Destery walked to her dresser and grabbed a pair of old pajamas before walking to the bathroom. A hot bubble bath would be the perfect ending to the day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, I hope you like it. I've worked really hard on this chapter; to make it a little longer than my others.

And thanks to the comments. It really does mean a lot to us that you like our story.