Status: active

We Made Our Way Dreaming

From The Beginning

”Mom, I don’t want to go,” Melody groaned, refusing to get out of the car.

“Well you have to,” her mother scolded, standing outside the door, frustrated.

“But why?” she demanded. “I can just stay here. I’ll get a job or something.”

Her mother rolled her eyes, laughing. “Melody, sweetie, you’re 5. No one would hire a 5 year old. Besides, you have to go to school. Don’t you want to grow up and be smart?”

“I am plenty smart,” she insisted.

“I know honey,” her mother sighed. “But you have to go.”

“I’ll hate it,” she groaned. “And everyone will make fun of me. And I won’t have any friends, and—“

“Melody it’s only kindergarten,” her mother said. “You’ll make friends before you even get in there. And when have you ever been one to not make friends. Besides aren’t some of the playground kids the same age as you. You’re already friends with them. You’ll have friends honey.”

“You can’t make me,” she crossed her arms and sat back in the seat.

Her mother had enough now. “Melody Stryder you get out of that car right now.”

Melody knew well enough to not argue with that tone. She grudgingly got out of the car. “Fine, but I hope I die in there,. Then you’ll see how it feels to not have me there.”

Her mother rolled her eyes. “Don’t be so melodramatic Mel,” she said. “You’ll be fine.”

She grabbed her bag out of her mother’s hand. Her mom leaned down for a kiss, and Melody grudgingly gave it to her. She walked to the building, kicking her shoes as she walked. This was going to suck. She wasn’t watching where she was going and bumped into someone. It turned out to be a boy. She knew him from the playground. “Hi Joe,” she said.

He grinned at her, his brown eyes bright. “Hi Melody,” he said. “Aren’t you so excited?”

“I can barely hold it in,” Melody said.

Joe laughed, but then looked serious for a second. “What if we don’t make friends?”

“How about this?” she said, getting an idea. “You be my friend, and I’ll be yours. Then we don’t need no one else.”

He seemed to think about this. “Are you going to push me down the slide if I don’t?”

“Maybe,” she grinned.

He looked scared for a moment until he realized she was kidding. “Okay, we can be friends.”

“Yay,” she said. “Now let’s go.”

“Are you going to boss me around?” he asked, following her.

“Yes,” she said. “That’s what friends do.”

“Does that mean I can boss you around too?”

“No way,” she made a face. “If I boss you around you can’t boss me around.”

He nodded. “Okay Melody. So what should we do?”

“Let’s go inside,” she said, excited now that she had a sure friend.

“Okay,” he said, and they walked inside together.

“Where are you taking me Melody?” Joe asked for the hundredth time as they made their way down the dark street.

“Can you shut up stupid?” she groaned. “Someone might hear you. We can’t be seen! It’s an adventure. And if you ask me that one more time I’m not going to take you nowhere Joseph Jonas.”

“Sorry,” he said. They walked in silence until they got to the empty playground. It was a little scary at this time, with no light except for a single lamp post to the side. Joe wondered what they were doing here.

“You better now ask,” she anticipated his question. “You’ll see when I tell you.”

He nodded. He followed her to the jungle gym. They climbed to the top, and laid back on the platform. “Can you tell me now?” he asked.

“My mom told me that if you look really hard at the sky you can see the heavens,” she said quietly, staring at the sky. Joe started to understand why they were here. “Do you think if I look hard enough I’ll be able to see my dad again?”

“I don’t know,” he said truthfully. He could never lie to her. In their 4 years of friendship, he had never lied to her, and he wouldn’t start now.

“I want to see him again,” she said, letting him see her weakness, which was rare. Melody never showed sadness or weakness. “Will you help me look?”

He nodded, staring at the sky. It was dark, illuminated by small little stars. “Melody,” he said a half an hour later. “Do you think that maybe the stars are there so that the people in heaven can look down on us?”

“Like they’re movie theatre seats?” she asked.

“Kinda,” he said. “But like they never have to pay and the movie never ends.”

She shrugged and continued to look hard into the sky. They were quiet for a few moments. “Do you think my dad is on one of those stars?”

“Definitely,” he said. “He’s looking at us right now, I know it.”

She sighed, and turned on her side, leaning on her elbow. “What would I ever do without you Joe?”

“Probably die,” he shrugged.

She laughed. “Promise we’re going to be best friends forever?”

He grinned. ‘”Of course,” he said. “Someone has to follow you around when you’re a famous star, right? Might as well be your best friend and not some creepy old dude.”

She smiled. “Why do you always follow me around? Don’t you get tired of doing everything I say?”

“I have fun with you,” he shrugged. “And I – I like being with you.”

“Really?” she asked. “So you won’t leave me ever? You won’t leave me like my daddy?”

“Your daddy didn’t leave you because he wanted to Mel,” he told her.

She shook her head. “You won’t leave me will you Joe?”

“Melody, I will follow you to the end of the earth,” he promised.

“Why would you want to?” she grumbled, leaning back on her back. “Why would anyone want to?”

“So I can be with you forever,” he answered. He didn’t like hearing her say these things. “You’re going to be stuck with me Mel. And when you’re famous, everyone will follow you. You better not forget about me though.”

She giggled. “Never,” she promised.
♠ ♠ ♠
you see, it's all clear you were meant to be here from the beginning
Emerson, Lake & Palmer ;; From The Beginning

New story! Haha it's kind of based off the idea from Sweet Home Alabama but it's going to be different promise! Comments anyone?