Status: active

We Made Our Way Dreaming

Memory

“I cannot believe you dragged me here,” I groaned, smirking as I eagerly looked around for our next competition. That was the best thing about this fair. It wasn’t just rides and games. There were competitive activities too. Joe and I always went at it at this thing. We would have competition after competition to see who was the best. It was usually me, though he always tried to swear he let me win. As if I would need him to do that. I could have beat him with my eyes shut and my hands tied behind my back. Nick, on the other hand, was more competitive, which meant it was actually a bit more difficult, just a bit though. I was not ashamed to submit to whining like a girl if I was about to lose, which always threw him just enough to let me win.

Nick rolled his eyes. “Right, because I was the one that came into your room with scissors and threatened an ugly haircut if you didn’t come.”

I grinned. “Yes it was. You know that was extremely mean of you, Nicholas.”

He chose to ignore me, instead looking around for our next competition as well. “What about that one?” he pointed at one of the blown up activities. I grinned and nodded excitedly. I had never really been certain was this one was called, but basically we were tethered to one side of the blown up thing and had to run and put a small bag on the Velcro lining before the tether pulled us back. This was always one of my favorites, though Joe hated it. That was mostly cause I clobbered him every time.

We got in line, which unfortunately was very long. I smiled sweetly at Nick. “Nick, you know how you love me?”

He narrowed his eyes at me. “Yes?”

“Can you go get a hot dog for yourself out of though I will probably eat most of it? I mean, I’m not really hungry, but I’m sure you are.”

He gapped at her for a second before he laughed. “You’ve already had cotton candy, fried oreos, funnel cake, popcorn, and a caramel apple, and I’m surprised your still hungry when you usually eat twice as much as that in one sitting without all this walking?”

I grinned. “Thanks, and remember you can get whatever you like on it. Just as long as its not ketchup and it’s only mustard.”

“Melody Stryder, is that you?”

I groaned silently as I smiled at Ms. Fletcher. I hadn’t had to wear any kind of disguise because I had quickly learned that the townspeople here were used to celebrities since Nick, Joe, and Kevin were here. No one had bothered us yet, and I had kind of been hoping to keep it that way. Apparently, I wasn’t going to get my wish. “Hi, Ms. Fletcher.”

“I thought it was you,” she smiled. “I just had to come say hello. It’s been a long time, dear.”

“Yes, it has,” I said sadly. Ms. Fletcher wasn’t a bad lady. In fact of all people I was glad it was her that had come to see me. She was the old lady Joe and I used to help all the time. She was really nice. She always used to make us molasses cookies.

“Joe still comes by, of course,” she smiled. “He is always just ranting about one thing or another.” She chuckled fondly. “Where is that boy anyway? I haven’t seen you two apart since that time you got into a fight about who had left the crayon by my radiator.”

I grimaced at the memory. Of course it had been me, but Joe and I had fought since I said it was him. In the end, he admitted it was, though it wasn’t. And he didn’t get molasses cookies that week. I never forgot that. Nick noticed I was getting uncomfortable, and placed his arm around my shoulder. “He actually went to go get cotton candy. I’m sure you can catch him in the line.”

“Oh that boy and his sweets. I’ll try that thank you,” she smiled. “Do come see me, won’t you dear?”

“I will,” I promised before she scurried off. I looked at Nick. “Thanks.”

“Anytime,” he smiled. “So a hot dog?”

I smiled. “A hot dog.”

He smirked and shook his head before he went off to get me a hot dog. I sighed and waited for him to come back. It was hard, being here and being reminded of my past. It was something I had locked away a long time ago. It wasn’t a box I was willing to open up again. Too much had happened to go back there. Too much had changed. Still, whether I wanted it to or not, memories of what Joe and I once had were popping up everywhere.

“Melody!”

I felt the color flood from my face without even turning around. I knew that voice too well, especially in the commotion of this place. I had had to place it out of here one too many times. I turned and smiled, though I was sure it was more of a grimace. “Hey Joe.”

“What are you doing here?” he asked.

“Looking for a house,” I rolled my eyes. “Why else would I be here? I’m enjoying the fair.”

“That’s right, you haven’t been here in years,” he said sadly. “Still as good as you remember?”

“Better. Where’s your date?”

“She saw one of her friends when I saw you here.”

“Here you go,” Nick said, handing me the hot dog. “I already took one bite so you can consider it mine even though you’re going to eat it.”

“Thanks,” I grinned as I took a bite.

“Hey bro,” Nick said.

“You guys are here together?” Joe asked slowly. Again, whatever color has returned to my skin flooded off. The temperature around us had just dropped about ten degrees with just that one question.

“Well see I wanted to come and no one else was home,” I said, not really sure why I was explaining myself. Joe was no longer anyone to me. But then, why did I feel like I was betraying him? Oh that’s right, because it was just a bit too familiar.

“Mitchie was home when I was leaving,” he said coldly.

“Mitchie would not be caught dead at this fair,” I rolled my eyes.

“But you know, now that we’re all here, why don’t we all just hang out?” Nick said quickly, trying to salvage whatever he could. “In fact, Mel is making me go against her for this thing, and I hate it. Why don’t you go, Joe?”

He looked like he was going to decline for a second, still looking between us. But then, he shook his head, looking at what the competition was. He groaned, at ease again. “It had to be this one, didn’t it?”

I laughed uncomfortably, though I tried to make it sound real. “Maybe you’ve gotten better in these few years you’ve had to practice.”

“Yeah right,” he scoffed. “Look at this line, Mel. You’re the only girl in it. You’re the only girl that would ever do this. Not really the best opportunity to practice, if you know what I mean.”

I laughed, this time for real. “Guess you’ll just be eating my dust, again.”

We waited awkwardly in the line till we got to the front. When it was our turn, Joe and I geared up and got ready to go. We ran forward, and I slapped the bag down quickly before I was pulled back. We staggered up and I grinned as I saw I was ahead of him. “Looks like I’m still the champion.” He grumbled a response.

The guy handed the bags back to us for our second try. “I missed this,” Joe said quietly before the guy shouted go. I was thrown off and stared after him as he ran forward, not even realizing we had started. When the pulleys kicked into gear, I was still in the same exact place.
♠ ♠ ♠
Haha I know it's been forever since I updated but I hope you liked it! Let me know what you think :)

Memory ;; Sugarcult