Status: Active. (:

One of the Boys.

Pt. 8.

School had just finished, and I’d spent the whole day with Ryan, as Brendon and Harriet were joined at the hip.
“They’re so cute, well done.” smiled Ryan, looking at them in front of us. Brendon’s arm was around Harry’s shoulders, and her head was resting on his arm. Ryan and I were in the same position, but it wasn’t as cute, because we weren’t a couple.
“I doubt I’ll be able to speak to him all summer, or you for that matter. So I’ve got to spend two months with Spencer and Brent. Wish me luck.”
I laughed. “Good luck, Ryan.”
“You sounded so genuine then.” he said, rolling his eyes.
“You’ll be fine, I’ve got to spend a month and a half with my family, trying to convert me to a prep kid.”
“Ooh, that’s gonna suck. If the rates aren’t too high, you can always call me.”
“You can at least send me a text on my birthday, you cheap skate.”
He chuckled. “Yeah, I think I can afford a birthday text. You’ll be as old as me! You’re basically a cripple!”
“Sure, because turning seventeen makes me a cripple.”
“It didn’t make me one, because I’m insanely fit and amazingly good looking.”
Seriously good looking.” I smirked, quoting Zoolander.
“But being serious, do you think I’m good looking?”
“Yeah, you’re cute.” I said, shrugging. “Why?”
“No reason.”
“There must be some reason.”
“The reason is I wanted to know what someone else thought. That’s it.”
I decided to drop it and we pushed through the main school door, the warm sun pelting us with its rays.
I looked around for Brendon and raised my eyebrows when I saw him pressed against the wall, making out with Harriet.
“Wow, they don’t beat around the bush.” I said.
“By the end of the summer they’ll be married with kids the way they’re going.” laughed Ryan. I smirked.
“Anyway, I’ll see you at the end of the summer I suppose. Say bye to Brendon for me.”
“You can tell him yourself. HEY, B, GET YOUR TONGUE OUTTA HER THROAT AND COME SAY BYE TO YOUR BEST FRIEND!”
Brendon broke away from Harriet, kissed her lips once then ran over to us. He gave me a big hug. “I’ll see you in seven weeks, Em!”
I laughed. “Have a good summer, B.”
“I’ll miss you. And happy belated birthday!”
“Belated means late, I haven’t had my birthday yet.”
“Well… you know what I meant.” he laughed and let go of me. “Merry summer.”
“Merry summer.” I smiled and he returned to Harriet, not making out this time.
“Merry summer Ryan, I’ll see you later.”
“See you.”
I kissed his cheek, then got on my board and skated home. Everything in my wardrobe was gone. Did we really need to pack that much? And what the hell was I going to wear tomorrow?
I sighed and jumped on to the bed, jumping up and down several times, taking in every aspect of my room as I’d probably have to share whilst in Italy, unless my grandparents have moved. In which case, I may survive through the summer.
My mother suddenly burst into my room, a smile on her face.
“Stop jumping on the bed and sit down child.” (Why she was speaking in English, I don’t know.)
Wow, now I’m nameless. Great.
I did as she said and sat down.
“I see you’ve noticed that your clothes are gone.”
I nodded. “Yeah, you packed them right?”
“Oh, gosh no, we haven’t packed them. We’ve thrown them all away.”
My mouth dropped. “You… you what?”
“This summer you’re going to become a woman Ezmerelda, rather than a girl disguised as a boy.”
“What if I like the way I dress?”
She sat down next to me and put a hand on my knee. “I used to dress almost exactly the same way as you did, at your age. Obviously I don’t anymore, because I won the chance to have a make-over, and for once, I felt accepted. I actually felt beautiful, people took interest in me, even boys took interest in me. I’m positive you’ve wondered what it’d be like to be more girly, yes?”
“Once or twice…”
“Ezme, I’m sorry I’ve been so harsh on you for the majority of your life, it’s just that you’re doing this to yourself and there’s no need, I regretted it so much after changing. I want to give you the same opportunity, so with the help of your sisters, grandma, myself and your aunt, we’re going to turn you into a woman.”
“Why are you being so nice about this? You hate me, mom.”
“Is that what you think?” she pulled me into a hug. “Good Lord, I don’t hate you, I don’t want you to hate yourself, there’s a big difference. The thing is, I think you’re beautiful, but you don’t flaunt it enough. The braces being taken off is the first step. So, what do you say?”
“I… I think I want to do it. Just to try. But if I don’t like it, can I go back?”
She let go of me and smiled. “Sure you can, honestly.”
“Can I still skate? And see my friends?”
“Honey, I’m changing your look, not your life. You love skating and your friends, I’m not going to ban that.”
“But you sold my board…”
“That was your sister’s fault. She’s a bitch, no?”
I laughed. “How come you were never nice to me before?”
“I was nice… but I was harsh. It’s because you’re the spitting image of everything I did as a teen, and it scared me a little. I didn’t want you to loathe your body like I did. But you’ve got some good friends, and you’re a good person; I wasn’t. The main reason I changed was because of people like your older sister pressuring me, and I want you to change because you want to. Do you want to?”
I nodded. “Yes please.”
“I love you Ezme, I really am sorry about all of this before. I hope you don’t hate me.”
“I did hate you… but if you keep this up maybe I won’t.”
She kissed my cheek and laughed. “I’m so glad I’ve got at least one nice child.”
“You can’t say that!”
“I can and I will, Kat is horrible, and a terrible girlfriend to Chad. Jemima is a spoiled little so and so, but I’m trying, I really am.”
I smirked, because it was true, and my own mother was saying this.
“Why do you tolerate it?”
“Because that’s who they are and I can’t change that. I wish they weren’t, but sometimes it’s impossible to change people. I’d rather they be true to themselves rather than being perfect and hating life.”
“You’re changing me.”
“I’m changing your look, but not you personality and your outlook.”
“True.” I nodded. “I don’t think I’ve ever really sat down and talked with you before, mom.”
“No, I don’t think we have. If you have any problems, I’m always here, okay? And I want to sit down and talk with you more, I like this.”
I smiled and rested my head on her shoulder. “Why are you speaking in English again?”
“Because you don’t need to speak the language of the fashion capital, as you’re not going to be a model. You’ll do something productive with your life, unlike Kat, who is frankly, a bit dim and can’t do all that much.”
I tried to stifle my laughter, but let it out when she started laughing too.
“I love you Ezme, and I’m sorry.”
“I love you too mom, and I’m sorry from all the horrible things I’ve said.”
“It’s okay, I don’t really mind. It was fair enough what you said.”
We stayed sat like that for a while, then she said “What was wrong with your friend Brendon? I heard your sister gossiping about him, saying that he was avoiding you?”
“Oh, yeah, because he was freaking out that he was going to go into senior year without kissing anybody. So he kissed me and I didn’t know what to do, so just left, then he refused to speak to me. But we made up and my friend Harriet asked him out so he’s elated now.”
“He kissed you? I didn’t know you liked him.”
“I don’t, that’s why it was awkward.”
“Oh.” she nodded. “At least you’ve made up now.”
“Yeah, that’s good.”
“How do you think your friends will react?”
“Depends if I look nice or not.”
“You will, trust me, you’re beautiful.”
I blushed. “Thanks, mom. And, uh, I suppose they’ll be shocked? Hopefully they’ll like it.”
“And what about your new found curves?”
“Huh?”
“Us Graziella girls are late-developers, so you’ll fill out your shape this summer. Haven’t you noticed you’ve been getting a little bigger lately?”
“Am I going to get fat?” I asked, panicking.
“No child, no. You’ll get boobs and hips and a butt, all good things. And you’re in excellent shape, so you won’t get bigger.”
“Oh, right, okay.”
This would be an interesting summer.
♠ ♠ ♠
Three comments again please?
But tell me what you think will happen over the summer, and what do you think about Harriet...?
;)
Love!
x