He's No Prince Charming

Chapter 3.

"Oh darling, finally, we're having the Jonas's over for lunch, go get dressed into something more appropriate" As soon as I walked inside, my mother was already rushing me upstairs.

God, could I live one day without the fucking Jonas's in it. I rolled my eyes and got changed. I actually had time to spare so I curled my hair, and fixed my make up too. All I could really think about was ways I could tell my parents about my 'break'.

“Darling the Jonas's are here” My father called up the stairs for me.

“Coming!” I yelled back and sighed.

I did not want to deal with people today. I swear if they try pushing me and Kevin together, I'm going to freak out. I'm tired of being pushed around! EVERYONE PUSHES ME AROUND!

”It's because you let them” The little voice started nagging.

Not you too!? Just leave me alone!

”Darling I'm a figment of your imagination, I can't leave”

Shut up!

“Michelle, sweetheart you look wonderful. How are you?” Denise asked as she gave me a hug.

“Oh I'm good, just a little tired. I had yoga today at 6 in the morning”

“My goodness, I don't think any of my boys would get up that early for any reason.” We laughed and Joe walked over, feigning hurt.

“That's not true, if Michelle asked me to go yoga with her, I would! She just never asks me..” He pretends to sniffle.

“Oh I'm sorry Joe, if you want you can start coming. Every week day morning at 6.”

Joe scratched his head. “Well... That sounds a bit too much like school... count me out”

We all laughed and sat down at the table, and started eating.

“So Michelle, what are you going to do this summer?” Paul asked. My mother had a sly look on her face and it was starting to make me mad.

I looked down at my food and started messing with it.

“Um...”

“If you aren't doing anything dear, we would love it if you would accompany us on the boy's next tour.” Denise smiled at me.

Oh no.

I smiled back. “Well actually my friend and I sorta have plans for the summer. Which is something I need to talk to you about” I looked over at my parents. My mom was very annoyed, while my father was simply confused.

“What is it Darling?” My father asked me. I guess the Jonas's would be apart of the discussion. I refrained from rolling my eyes.

“Well you see... Rose and I were talking today and she asked what I was going to do about the future and I told her I didn't know. She told me that she thinks I need a break away from everything. Like a vacation.”

My mother started smiling excitedly. “Oh that's a wonderful idea! We'll book a cruise or something..” Father definitely didn't look like he liked that idea, but he seemed fine with me taking a break.

“Wait. No mom, when I said break away from everything I meant a break.. alone.. you know?”

My mother's face dropped. “Oh well... you know I'm not so sure about that. You've never been outside New York without us.” Stupid excuse number one.

“Diane she'll never learn to be independent if we don't let her do things on her own sometimes,” EXACTLY THANK YOU DAD. I always knew I loved him more.”But,” Damn maybe I don't love him as much as I thought. “The alone part does worry me a bit. Maybe you could find a friend to go with you?” My mother's eyes went directly to Kevin.

God. Kill me now.

“I already have Daddy, Rose is gonna come with me” He smiled and I smiled back.

“See Diane? She'll be fine” My father got up,picked up his dishes, and walked to the kitchen. “Have fun sweetheart”

I smiled even bigger. Maybe this wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I looked over at my mom. I was entirely wrong. She was mad, like really mad because my father didn't take her side. She got up, picked up her plates and went into the kitchen too. I could hear them having an argument in the kitchen and I looked around at everyone. They all looked uncomfortable, except for Joe and Kevin. Joe was too busy playing with a string from his shirt to really pay attention, and Kevin... well Kevin looked upset and disappointed. Oh well. I don't like him, I don't want to go on tour with them.

My parents came out of the kitchen not too long after and as my mom walked by she knelt down and whispered in my ear. “We'll finish this discussion after they leave” I rolled my eyes. Of course nothing could ever be easy with her. Always had to fight to get want you want.

I thought the Jonas's would never leave. It was coming close to dinner time and I was terrified that they would stay for dinner. They left though. I had to spend the whole time dodging Kevin and his attempts to flirt.

“Well Michelle if you change your mind our offer is always open” Denise hugged me and left with the rest of her family.

“I'm absolutely against you going on a 'break' ESPECIALLY with that Rose. She is a horrible influence” Stupid excuse number two.

I sighed. "No she isn't mom. Do I need to remind you that I don't even NEED your permission? I'm nineteen. Infact I'm the only nineteen year old who still lives with her parents. Just please let me do this one thing"

My mother wasn't budging, but I knew my dad was on my side.

"It's true Diane. She can go if she wants. Now I don't want to hear anymore about it from you. She needs to be more independent because one day we aren't going to be here to do it for her."

"Exactly, thank you Daddy" I walked over to my father and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

***

"You're kidding, no way did she make that much of a deal. I mean, this is YOUR mother we're talking about" Rose started laughing.

"Oh I know," I said sarcastically."God, it's like she doesnt understand that I'm 19, I can do what I want, whether she likes it or not"

"Well darling, she would understand that if you actually stood up for yourself every once in a while."

I sighed. "Yeah I know. I've gotten better though"

"That's true, it's because I'm finally rubbing off on you" We both started laughing.

"Oh babe, I have to tell you before I forget, I can't go with you this summer"

"WHAT?!" I yelled.

"Hold on a minute god! Let me finish" She laughed. "I can't go at the beginning. I have work, but I can get the last month off"

I sighed. "Good, I guess..."

"You're still going at the beginning though. I don't care if your mum says, you're going and you are going to have a kick ass time, alright?"

I laughed, "Alright. You know it's times like these that I'm glad you're my best friend."

She laughed, "I know what you mean"