As the Clock Strikes Twelve

Chapter 2

Dawn was now taking command over the night when I reached the cliffs. It usually would take us minutes to get here but we got…sidetracked (It smelt so bad!).
All the same, I closed my eyes and took a deep breathe, breathing in all the scents of the forest and river, enjoying the silence and peace it had. But, in the end, I let out all the air with a sigh.
This isn’t going to last long, I thought to myself.
“Hello, little girl,” said a voice from behind.
Ah, the irony, I thought to myself with a mental laugh.
My eye slowly opened as I cautiously reached for the two thin swords strapped to my back. “So, you’ve found us. Congratulations,” I said smirking, gripping the hilt of one of the swords with my right hand.
He laughed, but it didn’t sound human. It was a loud, deep laugh that bounced off the many hills, not even stopping when it reached the waters or trees.
I grimaced at the thought of this werewolf behind me.
“So,” he spoke after he finished his hearty laugh, “Are you actually going to try and chop me up with such toys?”
I laughed, besides the fact that my irritation level spiked every time he stressed a certain word. As if I’m the stupid, mutt! But, I turned on my heels all the same to face my wolf challenger. I stared into his heavy scarred face and smiled innocently, withdrawing my venom for now.
“Do you honestly think you’ll walk away today? You obliviously are clueless,” I said as I pulled my swords completely out from their cases with a giggle.
I quickly ran past him before he had a chance to return a witty remark, slashing his side. Once he registered my attack, he howled in both pain and anger. He turned on me with a look on his face that gave away every intention of what he was thinking of inflicting onto me.
I touched the blood on the tip of one of the swords, not much caring, “Just as I thought, every dog is the same. They are all allergic to silver.”
“I-Impossible,” he stuttered through his grinding teeth.
“How is it impossible to hurt a dog? Even humans know your weaknesses,” I said as I pulled out the other sword to combine with its twin and swung the large metal over my shoulder and slugged back. It wasn’t like he was a threat or anything.
He growled through a stressed smile, “No leech has ever complimented me with such the occasion to actually have a challenge. Even if they had a sword, they didn’t have a silver blade.”
I raised my eyebrow and smirked, “They also wouldn’t be alone.”
His eyebrow rose in response to the fact I had just spoken of. I laughed in amusement as I leaned back on my heels, toward the bushes behind me as his eyes searched the area cautiously. I could’ve killed him at this moment of weakness, but where’s the fun in that?
Instead, I whisper to the plant behind me, “Hey, slut, can you hurry up. I need to get home.”
A giggle came from behind, “Calm yourself. I'll come out in a second, Suzanna.”
“Whatever.”
She snorted, “Attitude, darling. Oh, and Suzy, he’s coming straight at you.”
I looked up as he surged forward, large teeth and all, his claws arching toward me like a lost lover craving for their medication for their addiction: my flesh. I dodged his attacks, one after another. He was quite fast for a mutt, shocking at me at first but that quickly resided. I now thought of this as a morning workout.
“You keep saying you can hurt me, then why don’t you!” he said as he kept throwing punches of claws.
I don’t exactly know why I found myself teasing my prey but I couldn’t help it, I made my bright green eyes flash black just so I could see his face as I grinned innocently, but demonic. I saw his expression change from anger to uncertainty, annoyance never quite leaving his face. I took my sword and struck the ground, making it stand straight up in the hard dirt and, also, separating us. I took my hands away from the hilt and looked up to look at his new expression. His once dubious expression in his eyes was now replaced with confusion and amusement.
He smirked, “How interesting. Is this the climax? Where you beg me for mercy as I tear your immortal body into shreds? Don’t worry, I'll kill you fast and end your suffering. You can thank me if you like.”
I grinned and chuckled at his confidence, “I was starting to think you may be smarter than the others before you, but you just keep proving me wrong!”
The bushes behind me shook as my sister stepped out, her long skirt trailing behind her as a result from a gust of wind as her skin reflected the glow of the morning sun. She looked looked like a porcelain doll, to her perfectly align lips and perfect complexion that even the wolf had to stop and admire her beauty. Thank god I didn’t inherit those genes or my irritation would’ve ended up with someone dead if they stared too long.
Finally, he snapped out of it only to grin at his new challenger. "Hello, my lady. I’m sorry to announce to you and your friend, but today will happen to be your last.”
We looked at each, my sister and I, and I watched as my sisters twinkled with the thought of the blood she was about to cause this mutt to shed. Unlike her, even with my witty remarks, I couldn’t get over how confident this guy was and the creepy, bad gut feeling has never left my cold body. I mean, I could’ve torn about this cocky asshole, but I didn’t. What was wrong with me?
At this moment, I felt Daine freeze next to me, her body completely still like ice. I looked up to see her face hard, her eyes completely focused on him. I rested my hands on top of my fans in apprehension. What the hell just happened to her? I mean, I had so many questions like how we got into this situation but I wasn’t really sure about anything at this point.
Things are getting out of hand, I thought to myself as the bad feeling increased to an almost painful state causing my eyes to change color. What the hell is going on?
That’s when he charged forward, in the midst of changing, right at Daine.
Everything happened in a blur. I ran forward and slashed him with my fans that I had pulled out within a second of registering his attack. But, he saw it coming. He put a clawed, furry hand on my chest and slammed me into the ground, causing me to yelp from the impact of my back striking the earth. Daine ran forward as he was withdrawing his hand, throwing knife after knife into his shedding skin that was quickly turning to a pelt. He saw this as well though. He quickly pulled each one out and threw them back, one hitting her square in the throat.
I hissed at him and kicked his legs out from underneath him. His eyes widened a little in shock as I got on top of him. I smiled at him, a line of blood sliding down from my mouth as my fans repeatedly made contact with his chest. My stone-hard body kept him from kicking me off but he released his arms from underneath me. I screamed as I felt his claws slip into the flesh on my hip bones, the dark nails hyper extending under my skin causing myself to bleed.
He howled with laughter, “I’m sorry for you. I was hoping you would die easily, but you‘re so annoying.”
I heard Daine hissing as she removed the knife slowly.
“I’m going to kill you, dog,” she said distracting him enough for me to slam my fan’s knife into his face, causing his blood to blind him. He released me quickly causing me to sprint to my sister and grabbed her hand.
“Time to go,” I smiled at her only to have her not pay attention to me as she continued to hiss at the werewolf, her face contorting into the monster that we were. I dragged her along, grabbing my sword, before completely jumping off the cliff and into the waters that would assure as the cover we needed to get home and away from the beast.

When we got back to the house, I laughed, knowing we were going to be very late to school. I walked to my closet and grabbed the first things I saw; just wanting to get out of my bloody, soaking-wet fabrics that now concealed my body: a pair of dark gray skinny jeans and a black tank-top. I got changed and ran to the bathroom to get myself ready, hearing my sister rushing all the way down the hall as profanity came out of her mouth in a steady string.
I flipped my head over and put it up in a sloppy pony tail while walking down the hall where Daine pulled her fingers through her hair.
“You ready yet?” she asked in a rude, irritated tone.
I smiled at her sweetly, wanting to be a smart-ass, “Yes, thank you very much.”
I walked over to the door and slipped my shoes on. I turned to see Daine pulling up her white lace shirt and then fixing her skirt.
“Fancy, much?” I laughed.
She grabbed her sandals and pea-coat. “Excuse me for being proper,” she said as she stomped out the door.
I laughed to myself, “What an idiot.”
I grabbed my jacket when I felt something nudge against my leg. I looked down to see a little tabby cat staring up at me, a little meow escaping its mouth.
“Hey, baby,” I cooed receiving a meow in return, its gray eyes staring at me as if they could the inner workings of my soul (intense but there’s no other way describing how this cat just gives you that… look).
I giggled like a little girl when he arched his back and rubbed himself against my leg again, “Sorry, but I have no time to pet you. I have to go to school.”
It looked up at me again before scurrying off somewhere in the house (probably to the kitchen). I shrugged and before grabbing my bag and exiting the house.
I casually walked outside to find Daine leaning on the car.
“You have the keys,” she said as she moved to the side and walked around to the passenger’s seat.
I opened the door and hopped in, unlocking it for Daine, and turned on the engine with a smile. “This is going to be interesting,” I said as I backed up onto the street, where dreaded feeling finally start to leave my body.
♠ ♠ ♠
That should do it. If there are changed in this chapter, they'll probably be small.

enjoy,
xxnewmoonxx :D