Status: at the start

His Second Chance

Revealing the past...

After the studio, I was whisked away by Danielle who bombarded me with maid of honor dresses.

Blue, white, blue, white. The colors were chosen from these colors and it took forever. Not that I didn’t love trying them on, it’s just sometimes the criticism is harsh.

“No,” she said flatly just as she caught view of the dress.

I sighed and turned around, “Dan, choose one please!”

“This is the only wedding I’ll ever have this has to be perfect!” She fired back.

I groaned going back into the changing room to wait for the next dress she picks out.

“I can’t believe Kevin, poor sweet Kevin, is marrying you!” I shouted but I guess she couldn’t hear me.

“Here try this one on.” She shouted slipping it into the dressing room.

I groaned, not even caring what kind of dress it was. I didn’t even care to see what it looked like. I was just frustrated, mumbling how much I couldn’t wait for this wedding to be over.

“THIS IS THE LAST DRESS DAN!” I said stepping out of the small room with the dress, “I can’t take it anymore!” I shouted as I entered the room to see Kevin, Nick, and Joe. All of them with dropped mouths while Danielle giggled smiling.

“What are you all staring at?” I grumbled.

“Didn’t you look in the mirror before you left,” Kevin asked.

“No. Little miss bride-zilla over there made me angry.” I pouted.

“Darling, that’s the dress.” Danielle stated.

“What?” I asked in return.

“Turn around!” They shouted pointing to a mirror.

I glared at them and turned to see myself, in a stunning dress.

“Woah,” I whispered

I heard them laugh, “Okay well you’re not eating for the next 3 months. Thank you.” Danielle
ordered.

I sighed turning around as the bride monster came back, “Just ruin the moment won’t you.”

“Stay still we’re trying to take a picture!” Joe said, “Well I am anyways.”

“Wait I want one with me in it!” She shrieked joining me.

“GUYS! Prom ended a year ago,”

“I didn’t go to your prom! I didn’t even go to your school,” She replied smiling, “Joseph, are
you done?”

“Uhm, yeah. Now-” he started but was cut off by Kevin.

“Wait I want one with both of them!”

“Okay,” I sighed as Joe shrugged.

“Anyone else? Nick would you like to join them?” Joe asked sarcastically.

“No,” Nick replied, “I want my own with her. No bride or groom!”

Joe glared at the youngest while I just laughed. Nick was easy to talk to and so was Kevin, it was just the fact that Nick was never occupied by someone else, “Joe take the picture.”

He sighed holding his phone up, “On three, one three.” He said as Nick and I smiled.

“I guess we’ll be working on numbers when we get home,” Nick stated.

“Is it my turn?” Joe asked politely.

“Come on Joe,” I said as Joe gave his phone to Nick.

“You are beautiful you know that,” He whispered wrapping his arms around my waist.

“Thanks,” I blushed a bit, “This is going to be better than my prom photo.”

“You went to prom?” He asked.

“Yes,” I smiled.

“Okay ready on three,” Nick said, “One, two,” And on three Joe kissed my cheek. This picture
was way better than my prom photo.

“Well isn’t that a Kodak moment,” Danielle cooed.

I blushed a bit not daring to see how Joe looked, “Yeah well I need to go take this off now,” I moved a bit, but Joe still had his arms around me, “Joe this doesn’t require your help.”

He sighed letting go, “Sorry.”

“It’s okay,” I replied.

“Okay so dinner tonight, I’m making spaghetti and fettuccine.”

“Uhm,” I looked over at Joe remembering his birthday dinner, “Can I make a rain-check
Dan?”

“TWO DAYS IN A ROW! You said that yesterday,” She blamed.

“I know but I forgot I promised someone dinner today,” I said quietly.

She groaned, “Fine but you will eat everything I make tomorrow.”

“And eat everything on my plate yeah I know.” I agreed.

She sighed hugging Kevin from the side, “Go get changed.”

“THANK YOU!” I rejoiced with glee going into the not forgotten changing room.

Minutes I was with them once again.

“What’s on the agenda now?” I wondered.

“Well Kev and I were going to try out some cake,” Danielle said.

“CAKE!” Joe exclaimed, “I mean uhm, can I join you?”

We laughed, “Sure Joe.”

“Well then Nick, want to hang out? Since I have my car,” I asked.

He nodded, “Yeah.”

“Okay we’ll see all of you later,” I said hugging Joe before I entered my driver’s seat with Nick on the passenger.

“So you two are back together again?” He asked once both doors were closed.

“Yes we are.”

“Good, everything’s back to normal.” He said.

“What are you talking about?”

“Well, you and Dan are going to be my sister-in-laws.” He stated which made me laugh.

“I don’t think Joe and I are getting close to marriage anytime soon,” I looked at him as if he
were crazy.

He rolled his eyes with a small smile, “Okay okay but you would say yes right?”

I looked at him as we approached the stop sign, “Nick why are we talking about marriage?”

“Well, you and Joe are perfect for each other. And you two are my best friends. I just don’t
want something to happen like last time.” He said calmly as I started to drive after letting out
a sigh.

“You think that marriage will guarantee us together forever?” I asked.

“No, but I just know you and Joe belong together.” He shrugged.

I shrugged, “If your brother asked me to marry him I’d most likely say yes.”

“Really? I mean I know that’s what is right but it is funny hearing a girl say that about goofy
Joe.”

“Leave your brother alone. He’s serious at times.” I defended.

“I know. So who are you going to dinner with?”

I smirked, “Joe. We’re celebrating his birthday. I never sent out my gift.”

“Do I get a dinner with a gift?” he wondered.

“No, I sent your gift to you Nicholas.” I glared with a smile.

“Fine! Are you going back to school?” He asked again.

I thought about the question, “I don’t know yet. Don’t tell Joe. I might just stay home and do
the work from here and online. That way I could be close to the studio and just trade off.”

The young man shook his head, “I don’t think Joe would like you staying here.”
“Why not?”

“Well, you got a scholarship Kris! For the school! I think he’d rather be your man and have you fulfill your dream than you just going over there without you two being a couple.”

“Nick do you watch Oprah?” I laughed at him.

“Hey she’s inspirational!” He replied and we both cracked up.

“What do you want to do anyways?” I asked.

He just shrugged while I laughed.

Joe’s POV

I was happier than I had ever been this year. I had Kristen again and cake, what could go
wrong.

“I like the Vanilla,” I said.

“You and Kristen both,” Danielle smirked taking some of mine.

“So how are you Joe?” Kevin asked casually.

“I’m good. Cake’s good,”

“No, I mean how are you?” He urged on.

“What do you--?” I furrowed my eyebrows and saw his raised, then caught his drift.

“Oh, uhm I’m getting better.” I assured him.

“So, you’ll be okay when Kristen goes back to school right?” Danielle asked.

I hadn’t really thought about her leaving yet. I was living in the moment in the now. Having
her was all I needed so I should be ready when she goes back. Right?

I shrugged in response stuffing another piece of cake inside my mouth.

“Joe, she’s going to go back.” Kevin stated.

“I know,” I mumbled then looked at them, “I’m going to ask her to marry me.”

Danielle practically choked and Kevin rubbed her back slightly as someone got her water to
drink.

“Joe,” She said fully recovered, “uh when?”

“Before she leaves, but after your wedding of course.” I said.

“I don’t think that’s the best choice,” Kevin said.

“Why?” I questioned.

“I mean Joe, don’t get me wrong I want you to marry Kris but there’s so much going on for you two. I mean your band and she’s going to school all the way across the continent. It’s going to be complicated.” Danielle stated.

“No. At least when there’s a tour she’ll be busy.” I added.

“And when you’re not on tour? What, are you going to move out there with her?” Danielle
asked.

I looked at her thinking the plan was brilliant but she shook her head in refusal, “Joe,
please. No.”

“You don’t want me to marry her do you? You think I’m not good enough for her?” I asked
standing up.

“No Joe, that’s not what she’s saying. We just, you two just got back together. Give it some
time okay,” Kevin said calmly.

I sighed, “I’m sorry. Really I am.”

“It’s okay Joe, we just want the best for you two.”

I nodded, “I think I’m going to head off now. Get out of your hair.”

“Joe, don’t think we don’t want you here.” Kevin said.

“I know,” I nodded, “I just want some time to think that’s all.”

The two nodded and I waved them a goodbye. Going off to the only place I could think.

Kristen’s POV
After going to the house and hanging out with Nick my brother’s came home. It was now six
o’clock.

“Hey I thought you were going to dinner?” Nick asked.

“Hmm, let me call your brother.” I said pushing buttons on the home phone. After 5 missed
calls no one picked up, “That’s strange.”

“What?” Nick asked.

“He’s not answering.” I sat confused.

“Call Dan and Kev. Maybe they know where he is,” He suggested going to the band room
with my brothers.

“Hello,” Danielle answered.

“Hey Dan, is Joe with you?” I asked.

“No, he’s not. Why?”

“He’s not answering his phone. Do you know where he might be?”

“Oh no,” I heard her mumble softly, “Kevin. Call Joe please.”

“What’s going on?” I wondered.

“Nothing. Maybe he had no reception that’s all,” Danielle covered, “Kevin is calling now.”

“Anything?” I questioned and after a moment or two she let out an audible sigh.

“No, I’m sorry.”

“It’s cool he’s probably out doing something only Joe would do,” Optimism was key.

“Kris, why don’t you go to your dinner and I’ll have Kevin go look for Joe.” She suggested.

I shook my head, “There’s no point in my dinner without Joe.”

“Oh.”

“Can I just wait over with you?” I asked.

“Sure hon, I’m over at their place though.” She stated.

“Okay then. See you in a few.” We said our goodbyes as I stood up.

“Hey Nick,” I shouted and he came out of the room.

“Yeah,”

“I’m going over to your house to wait for Joe you want to go?” I asked.

“Wait for Joe? What do you mean?” He wondered.

“I don’t know Kevin’s going out to look for him.” I shrugged.

The younger Jonas froze mouth shaped like an o, face fallen.

“What’s wrong?” I questioned.

“No one’s told you yet.” He stated.

“What?”

“When we get to my house ask Danielle about Joe.” He said and started walking out the
door leaving me confused.

“What do you mean?” I called running after him.

“I really don’t want to be the one to tell you. I’ll just be then one to help and talk about it okay,” He said assuring tone. I think he would be the perfect younger brother.
I nodded slipping into the car as he did the same. Ignition on, we began the ride.

“Is it bad?” I asked quietly.

He let out a sigh, “I’m sorry I never told you.”

He wasn’t answering my question. I would just have to wait.

Minutes later we arrived. Two cars missing while Dan’s remained alone. I parked next to her
as Nick went to open the house door. I felt uneasy, like something was going on and I would be hurt in the end.

I walked inside the house to be greeted by Danielle sitting on the ‘fake’ furniture couch while Nick sat on the floor next to her.

“What’s going on?” I asked looking between the two of them, “Where’s Joe?”

“Kristen, sit down please,” She said patting the spot.

I complied doing as told.

“Now honey, when we returned home Joe wasn’t doing too well. He got into bad habits which he might be going back to.” She said softly.

“What bad habits?” I questioned.

The two glanced at each other, “Well just alcohol.”

“How much alcohol?” I continued.

“So much to get your stomach pumped once.” Danielle said quietly.

My heart broke in two, “When did this happen?”

“Uhh, about 2 months after we got home. But we only found out like a month later when we
got a call from the hospital.” Nick answered this one.

Then suddenly the door opened, “He’s cool. When I got there he only had one drink and still walk-” Kevin finally noticed I was there, “Hey Kris.”

I didn’t respond yet then Joe came in, “You know Kev you didn’t need to do th-” he saw me too. Locking his brown ones with what I hoped weren’t teary eyes.

“Kris, let’s talk outside?” He asked quietly. I nodded slowly, standing up and walking out on the porch.

The night was young still, while the warmth collided with the feel of a cool breeze. We sat on the stairs in the front.

“I don’t even know where to start,” he mumbled and I just had to comply with him.

“Start with how you even thought of alcohol and where’d you get it,” I tried to be as calm as
possible.

“Depression gets the best of you and a celebrity can get whatever they want with the right people.” He said looking down at his hands.

I sighed, “So you were just going to blow me off tonight.”

“I wasn’t. It was one drink.” He stated.

“You say that depression got you to drink. So, tonight?” I asked.

“I was talking to a few people today and got a bit tempered,” He shrugged.

“Joe,” I said, “Look at me please,” He did, “Your brothers, my brothers, Dan, Frankie,
Lauren, they’re there to talk whenever you need it. I’m here to talk whenever you need it. This
drinking thing isn’t good Joe. Drinking doesn’t stop your problems.”

He looked at me and then whispered, “I know.”

I let out a relief sigh, “I’m not ready to lose you again. Especially not to alcohol.”

“You won’t.”

“I’m not going back to Berklee,” I finally decided.

“What?” his voice flat.

“I’m going to stay here.”

He was silent at first but finally answered, “Kris, I’m going to be fine. I don’t want you to give
up something great just for me.”

I smiled, “So what you’re the only one allowed to give up important things?”

“No, but this is for your career. I already had mine and experienced it. I will somehow survive
without you, don’t know how yet but I will.” He sat back and sighed.

I laid my head on his shoulder as we both looked out onto the porch. He wrapped his arm around me and asked, “Are we still going out?”

I shrugged, “I really like having you to myself right now.”

He let out a small laugh, “I guess we’re staying here then.”