Status: Active

Titanic

Chapter Seven

Jess’ POV

The next morning Pierre and I were sat eating breakfast in silence. The tension between us was very clear. The sunlight was splashing across the walkway. Our maid poured some coffee into our cups before exiting out of the doors to go inside.

“I hope you’d come to me last night.” Pierre said sternly.

I didn’t look up as I answered him “I was tired.”

“Yes…your actions below decks were no doubt tiring.”

I stiffened “I see you had your assistant follow me.”

“You will never behave like that again! Do you understand?!”

“I’m not one of your workers that you can command! I’m your fiancée…” With that he got angry and pushed everything off of the table. Breaking the china as he did so. He walked over to me and put his hands on each arm of my chair looking down at me.

“Yes you are! You’re my wife in practice…if not yet by law. So you will honor me, as a wife should honor her husband! I will not be made out to be a fool! Is that in anyway made unclear?!”

I shook as I looked up at him and slid down in my chair; clearly scared. I saw my maid standing at the doorway in shock holding the apple juice that she was bringing. Pierre followed my gaze then stood up straight and stalked past her walking out.

“I’m sorry,” I shook as she walked over trying to help me clean up, “We had a little accident.” I started to cry and fell down not being able to help her anymore.

“Shh it’s okay miss.” She reassured me, rubbing my back. She never hugged me but it was still comforting.

~~~~~

I stood in front of the mirror as my maid Elizabeth helped do up my corset. I saw my mother enter the room and shut the door behind her locking it.

“Thank you Elizabeth, I will finish off.”

Elizabeth nodded and hurried out of the room. My mother came up behind me and started tightening my corset.

“You’re not to see that boy again, do you understand? I forbid it!”

“Oh, stop it mother.” My mother walked over to the door locking it.

“This is not a game Jess! Our situation is uncertain! You know our money is gone!”

“Of course I know it’s gone! You tell me every day!”

“Your father left us nothing but an inheritance of bad debt hidden by a good name! And that name is the only card we can play,” My mother turned me back around and started pulling on the strings of my corset again, “I don’t understand you Jess. Pierre is a good match and will secure our survival.”

I felt hurt and lost “I don’t see how you can put that on my shoulders.” My mother turns me around again indicating she had finished doing up my corset and I saw the fear in her eyes.

“Do you want our things sold in an auction? Our memories scattered to the winds. Oh, god Jessica, how can you be so selfish?”

“It’s unfair.”

“Of course it’s unfair. We’re women. Our choices are never easy or what we want.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Second chapter of the day haha :) It's short but I wrote a couple of chapters when I was with my aunt and only started typing them up :)