Reverend In Peace

Goodbye Brother

The Original Avenged Sevenfold message that alerted many fans to the news of Jimmy

"It is with great sadness and heavy hearts that we tell you of the passing today of Jimmy “The Rev” Sullivan. Jimmy was not only one of the world's best drummers, but more importantly he was our best friend and brother. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Jimmy's family and we hope that you will respect their privacy during this difficult time.

Jimmy you are forever in our hearts.
We love you.

M Shadows, Synyster Gates, Zacky Vengeance and Johnny Christ"

Tweeted by Brian Haner (Guitar Guy, Papa Gates..etc) at 3.14pm 29th Dec

"Cried all night. I am heartbroken. Jimmy is gone and my world is a sadder place"

Taken from Brian Haner's (Guitar Guy, Papa Gates..etc) blog on myspace, posted at 9.36pm 29th Dec"

"As I'm sure you have all heard by now, Jimmy Sullivan passed away on Dec. 28th.

I first met him when he was 14. He came to my house and played the drums exactly the way he played up 'til now - with flawless technique and reckless abandon. He was, and remains, the most talented musician I have ever met. An artist almost beyond comprehension. He was an unbelievable writer, pianist, and singer that could have made a name for himself doing just those things. But he didn't. He simply chose to be one of the best drummers on the planet.

Perhaps more importantly, he was a free-spirit who saw the world differently than you and me. His world was measured in quality of relationships, music and art. I knew him well and never heard him speak about politics once. I cherish our long talks about music and life. He remains the only person I have ever known, who truly didn't care what people thought of him. He said exactly what was on his mind with no thought of editing. Not in a bad or hostile way, but almost like a child. A rare quality, indeed.

But as is always the case with a person of such pure spirit, he was simply too beautiful and fragile to walk this earth for long. God touched him with the gift of art, but not the gift of resilience to handle a harsh and cruel world.

I would love to share the many memories I have of him from the time he was a boy up until now, but I simply can't bring myself to. Not yet, anyway. Perhaps when the crying is done.

We were all touched by him in many different ways and we will all share in his loss. And though there will forever be a hole in my heart in that place Jimmy occupied, I feel blessed just to have known him.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and his "brothers" in the band. "

Tweeted by Papa Roach, a band that toured with Avenged Sevenfold

"This is a sad day for rock and roll. RIP, Jimmy 'Rev' Sullivan. You will be greatly missed, my friend."

Tweeted by Buckcherry, a band that was seen at the Sommet Center with Avenged Sevenfold

"The Rev... You will be missed. Rest in peace, our brother from the road. The entire A7X family is in our thoughts."

Posted from Avenged Sevenfold myspace page - a message from the Sullivan family

"We would like to thank all of Jimmy’s fans for the heartfelt comments that have been posted – it is comforting to know that his genius and antics were appreciated and that he was loved so much. Our hearts are broken – he was much too young to fall.

February 9, 1981 – December 28, 2009
Óg agus saor go deo (forever young and free)

Barbara & Joe, Kelly & Katie
& the extended Sullivan family"
♠ ♠ ♠
A friend suggested it would be a good idea to put these in.