Your Song

Number One Contender

Xx-zarah-xX

I walked into the Divas’ locker room and quietly headed over to my locker. I got my ring attire out and started changing, too nervous to say anything.

Tonight on SmackDown there was going to be a Battle Royal among the Divas to determine the new number one contender for the Women’s Championship that Michelle McCool was to defend at SummerSlam in two weeks time.

The creative team decided to make this real so that it would be more interesting. Nothing for this match was planned out. This meant that I really had a chance to win. Everyone did.

“Ready Zarah?”

I snapped out of my thoughts as Mickie came and sat down on the bench where I was lacing up my boots.

“As ready as I’m ever going to be.” I said ignoring the nervous pains in my stomach.

I grabbed my bag of face paint out of my open locker and headed to the bathroom with Mickie following me. I started doing my face paint; I was using red and black paint tonight to match my ring attire.

Jeff had gotten me into wearing face paint for my matches. I don’t do it all the time, mostly just for the more important matches. When I first started, I had to have Jeff do it for me, but since then my drawing skills have improved and I’ve been able to go on my own.

“Hey Zarah,” said Mickie suddenly. “I have an idea.”

“What’s that?” I asked working very carefully on my paint.

“What if we worked together?” she said.

I stopped working and looked at her in the mirror. “What?”

“We could work together Zarah.” she said smiling. “We could help each other to the end of the match and then we can go head to head.”

I started working on my face paint again. “Sounds good to me.” I said.

Mickie smiled. “Great!” she exclaimed hopping off the sink she had been sitting on before. “We’re gonna kick some major butt tonight!”

I laughed just as Michelle McCool stuck her head into the bathroom. “They need all the Divas at the entrance place.” she said. “There’s a commercial break and then they’re going to start the match.”

“Okay.” Mickie and I said as she left.

“See you in the ring partner.” Mickie said following Michelle.

I nodded and hurriedly put the finishing touches on my face paint. A few seconds later I put down my black eyeliner, finally done. I had drawn a red mask on my face. It started just above my eyebrows and ended a little above the tip my nose. With my black eyeliner, I traced the mask with two thin lines and put some around my eyes. I also gave myself the smoky eye look and had black tear drops starting at the bottom of my eyes and trailing down my face.

As fast as I could, I grabbed my stuff and ran out of the bathroom. I quickly threw my crap in my locker, slammed it shut, and sprinted to the entrance place.

When I got there, I almost freaked out. Almost.

I realized that this Battle Royal wasn’t just for the Divas on the SmackDown roster, it seemed like it was for any Diva that wanted a title shot. Beth Phoenix was there, and so were Tiffany and Natalya. But so were the Bella Twins, Gail Kim, Kelly Kelly, and practically everyone on the RAW roster.

“GOOD LUCK ZARAH!” Matt, Jeff, and Shane yelled as they ran by.

All the other Divas turned and stared at me. I felt my face heat up and knew I was blushing.

“Ready?” Mickey asked coming over to me.

“Nope. Let’s go.” I said as they started introducing the Divas.

I was called out to the ring and a few minutes later, Mickie followed. The bell sounded once everyone was in the ring and the match started.

Through the chaos of the battle royal I saw Michelle McCool and Vickie Guerrero at ringside. I thought it was a little odd that Layla was actually participating in the match, seeing as her and Michelle were supposed to be best friends. But I pushed that thought to the back of my mind as Katie Lea Burchill came at me.

With the help of Tiffany, we managed to throw Katie out of the ring and eliminate her. I high-fived Tiffany and ran off to help out Mickie who was struggling against Layla and Alicia Fox as they tried to throw her out of the ring together.

A quick leg sweep to Alicia and a round house kick to Layla and they backed off. From there I took Layla while Mickie took Alicia. A few minutes later, the announcers declared Layla and Alicia out of the match as both were knocked out of the ring, almost at the exact same time.

I watched as Layla limped over to Michelle and Vickie. My attention was quickly drawn back to the match, however, as Serena came out of nowhere and attacked me.

Since when does she wrestle?! I thought as she tried to punch me.

She suddenly grabbed my arm and rammed me into the turnbuckles in one of the corners of the ring. I cried out in pain. I tried and failed to throw her off as she rammed me into the corner again and again.

She suddenly let go of me and the next second, she went over the top rope. She landed on the ground outside the ring with a loud thud.

I turned around and saw Mickie smiling at me.

“Thanks partner.” I said rubbing my now sore arm.

“No problem.” she said. “Shall we take out the Bella’s?”

“Why, yes we shall.” I said.

After successfully eliminating Brie and Nikki, I looked around to see who all was left. By now it was just Tiffany and Beth Phoenix [who also seemed to be working together], Natalya, Gail Kim, and Melina.

I saw Gail Kim and Melina grappling near the ropes on the other side of the ring. As sneakily as I could, I snuck over to them. Melina had just pushed Gail out of the ring. And with one quick shove, I sent Melina over the top rope after her.

“ZARAH!”

I whipped around and saw Mickie struggling with Natalya. Choosing to pull a risky move that could possibly get me eliminated, I ran over to them – dodging Beth Phoenix as I went. I quickly climbed to the top turnbuckle nearest to them and pulled my signature flying kick on Natalya. She fell to the ground and Mickie picked her up and sent her over the top rope.

Out of nowhere, Tiffany came up behind me and wrapped an arm around my neck. I quickly flipped her over my shoulder and out of the ring.

“Sorry!” I called.

“And here are the final three!” said one of the announcers from the commentary table. “Beth Phoenix, Mickie James, and Zarah Havens!”

Before Mickie and I had time to strategize, Beth ran at Mickie. She picked her up and, almost easily, threw her over the top rope.

While Beth was still turned around, I took my chance. I quickly ran up behind her and did a quick leg sweep on her. I grabbed her by the arms and pulled her over to the nearest corner, setting up for my other signature move.

I climbed up on the top turnbuckle again, this time shooting the Hardy Gun hand sign. I jumped and did my version of a Senton Bomb.

But just as I was about to land on Beth, she pulled up her knees. My stomach slammed into her knees, knocking all the wind out of me.

Beth quickly pushed me off her and got to her feet. She dragged me up by the hair and pulled her Glam Slam. She picked me up again and went to throw me out of the ring.

I started struggling with all my might. I wasn’t going to lose when I’d come this close.

She finally let go of me and I fell to the ground. I hurriedly got to my feet and ran at her. I started throwing everything I had at her.

I punched every bit of her I could get. She finally dodged one and when she stood back up, I pulled a round house kick on her. I let myself swing around after landing the kick and elbowed her in the chest. I kneed her in the stomach and pulled a Twist of Fate on her.

“COME ON ZARAH!” Mickie, Jeff, and Matt all yelled from ringside.

Beth hit the ground and I quickly started rolling her to the edge of the ring. Most of the people in the arena were cheering for me by now.

I almost had her out of the ring, when she flung out her arm and knocked my feet out from under me.

Beth and I got to our feet at the same time. We started grappling. We were practically right next to the ropes; the right move could win this for either one of us.

I pulled one last round house kick on Beth. She stumbled back into the ropes. I ran at her and quickly tipped her over the top rope before she could regain her balance.

“And you’re winner of this match,” the announcer said as my music started playing throughout the arena. “ZARAH HAVENS!”