Your Song

Your (Last) Song

Xx-matt-xX

Jeff, Shannon, Shane, and I ran into the Cameron hospital at eight in the morning. As soon as Shane told me Zarah was in the hospital I kicked Jeff out of bed and the four of us rushed to the airport and got on the first plane that was headed to Cameron.

We stopped at the information desk and hurriedly asked the nurse what room Zarah was in. We sprinted down the hall and almost slammed into the doctor that was coming out of her room.

“Is she okay?” I asked him out of breath. “What happened?”

“I take it you’re Matt?” the doctor said and I nodded. “She was in a car accident. She pulled out into a four-way intersection and was hit by another car. She’s in very bad condition... I hate to be the one to tell you this... but... she won’t live very much longer...”

I stared after the doctor in disbelief as he walked away. This wasn’t happening. This couldn’t be happening!

We rushed into Zarah’s room and I had to fight the urge to cry when I saw her. The doctor was right; she was in very bad condition.

Meisa stood up from the chair that had been placed by Zarah’s bed and came over to us.

“Did the doctor tell you?” she asked stepping into Shane’s arms.

I nodded and went to see her up close.

“Hey.” Zarah’s voice was soft and raspy, like she had been screaming for hours.

“Hey.” I said taking her hand.

“Matt I’m so sor-”

“Don’t be.” I said. “I’m sorry for the way I acted. I was way worse to you when we went through all that shit with Adam.”

“I love you.” she practically whispered.

“I love you too.” I said as the urge to cry got stronger.

I leaned down and gently pressed my lips to hers. We broke apart and I straightened up, still holding her hand. I wouldn’t let go till she did.

She started singing Your Song from Moulin Rouge softly. It sounded like even singing was taking a toll on her. “I hope you don’t mind, I hope you don’t mind, that I put down in words,” she whispered the last few words, changing them a little bit. “How wonderful my life was, when you were in my world.”

“I love you Zarah.” I said as she closed her eyes.

She didn’t say anything; she was completely silent. She wasn’t breathing anymore and her heart monitor thing did that thing like in the movies. One long beep sounded out from the machine. Zarah Havens was dead.

“No.” I whispered as the tears finally spilled over. “You can’t die!”

I felt someone put their arm around my shoulders and looked up to see Jeff. He was crying too. I looked around the room; everyone was. Shane was hugging Meisa and stoking her hair they cried. Shannon was standing on the other side of Zarah’s bed; silent tears ran down his face. I felt bad for him. He and Zarah had gotten really close lately.

“It’ll be okay Matt.” Jeff said hugging me.

I turned and buried my head in my younger brother’s chest. “She can’t be gone!” I yelled as the doctor came in.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please don't hurt me for killing Zarah!
A few more parts of the story to go before it's actually over. Don't stop reading now!