Cheated Hearts

shattered

I was looking, but I wasn't seeing. I was hearing, but I wasn't listening. How could she do this to me? How the fuck could she have told me she loved me an hour before and do this to me?

Tarquin, Beatrix and Caroline cringed and gasped as Harper wrapped her arm around the guy's neck. He had dark hair and was tall, that was all I could see from my viewing point. I was humiliated. I was the guy. I was the poor guy who got cheated on. Fuck that.

I stood up, aching for a fight. My tiredness vanished in an instant and I made my way across the club. I ignored the hands that touched my chest as I crossed the dance floor. All I saw was red. I felt someone on my tails and vaguely recognized that I was being followed by Tarquin.

"Don't do anything stupid," he yelled over the music.

"Watch me," I growled, just as I climbed the steps to the booth my girlfriend and this fucking son of a bitch were making out in. I was so angry; anger that was unlike anything in the world. My chest heaved with my breaths. My fists clenched and my jaw tightened. It was like the world had turn its back on me and all I had was Harper and this man kissing two feet away from me.

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!" I roared and pulled Harper apart from him.

Harper stared up at me like a deer in the headlights. "Keaton?" she gasped.

I couldn't look at her. I couldn't look at her wide eyes and her surprised face. God, I fucking hated her. I let go of Harper and turned to the guy. I recognized him. He was that kid she used to work with at the magazine. Oliver. Fucking Oliver.

"Look-" he started, but I cut him off with a punch in the face.

"Keaton!" Harper cried and threw herself on Oliver as if to protect him. I could have pushed her out of the way to hit him again. I felt the power resonate in my fingertips, aching for me to do it, but instead I took a deep breath and spat through gritted teeth, "Harper. Outside. Now."

She nodded and I turned on my heel to lead the way. People were gathered around us and security was already on its way but I kept up a fast pace towards the exit. I could faintly hear Harper's whimpers from behind me.

When we finally fell into the crisp night air, I moved to the alley behind the club and stared at the wall. I couldn't turn around and look at her.

"I'm so sorry," Harper sobbed and placed a hand on my shoulder. I spun around and she immediately stopped touching me.

"Don't you dare touch me," I hissed.

She had tears in her eyes. My chest tightened when I saw her lipstick smeared all over her face.

"What just happened –it didn't count-" she started.

"What planet do you live on?!" I cried, "This is not high school, Harper! You can't just make things not count!"

"I'm sorry! It was nothing. It was harmless-"

"Harper," I closed my eyes, "Harper. You are a fucking disgrace of a person. How could you do that? How could you put yourself in a situation like that?!" I yelled.

She withered with my words.

"I –I...," She stuttered.

"You what?!" I thundered, "You fucking what?!"

"Look –I'm sorry. There's not much I can say but that!" She screamed back and wiped her nose with her sleeve,

"You can tell me why! You can tell me why you did that!"

"I don't know, alright? I don't know!"

"You're... you're worthless," I snarled.

Harper's eyes watered and she bit her lip.

"I'm... I'm the worthless one?" she whispered, "I'M THE WORTHLESS ONE?"

"Yes!" I cried.

"YOU are the one who has NOTHING! All you do is complain, complain, complain about your sad, little life. About how you graduated from Columbia and you have nothing! And it's all just bullshit! I'm sick and tired of it. Then you see Chloe-" she shouted.

"Where are you fucking getting this from? I did NOT FUCK Chloe!"

"You might as well have! I know you like her!" Harper screamed.

"You are so way in over your head, Harper. You don't have a clue about what you're saying!" I bellowed.

"You... you," Harper sobbed, unable to say anything coherent.

"I could fucking throw you away, Harper. That's how cheap you are," I whispered.

Harper let out another howl and I walked away. She was everything I hated in the world. Screw Etson, screw my dad –Harper was the bane of my existence. I had let Harper Summers in only for her kick me out just as quickly as she had lured me in.
♠ ♠ ♠
"Wind you up and make you crawl to me. Tie you up until you call to me."

-King Louis XIV

I wrote this and couldn't NOT post it.
Yeah. Two updates in one day... again.
I'm excited to finish this story.

P.S. This story was inspired by the book and movie Revolutionary Road, fyi.