Status: Running Very Slowly

Testing the Water

Twelve.

“Jared!” I laughed. “Don’t hook both of your feet to the board…you’ll have no way to get yourself over to the lift…and no, I’m not pulling you over.”
“Oh!” A light blush came to his face, “Oops.”

He unattached one of his feet and we got over to the carpet lift ‘skateboard style.’

Once we got to the top we strapped in, and I gave Jared a few words of instruction.

We started going down the hill at an increasing pace, “Jare, heel edge!” I shouted as he started going a bit too fast for both of our likings.
“I’m trying!” He shouted.

He kept flying down the hill with me beside him trying to get him to stop. “Just lean back an-ahh!”

Both of us ended in a pile with our boards all tied up.
I let out a laugh, “Nice going.”
“Hey, sor-ree!” He laughed as well.
I let out a fake sigh of anger, and we attempted to get untangled. After a few minutes, we were successful. “Come on.” I stuck out my hand to help him up.
“Thanks.” He smiled, and took my hand.

After a few run-throughs and several falls on Jared’s part, we managed to get down the hill with no problems.
“Woo! Jared you got it!” I jumped up with my board still attached.
He laughed, “I did get it!”
“Since you are ‘oh so skilled’ why don’t we try the next hill?” I pointed over to the hill.
“That looks sorta scary…It’s taller…ya know?”
“I realize it’s taller Jare, I think you should try it. Come on, I’ll help.” I smiled.
“Fine.” He sighed.

As we approached the ski lift I noticed one girl starring over at Jared.
I spoke quietly so no one could overhear, “Hey,” and hit him lightly to get his attention.
“Hmm?”
“That girl was so starring at you.” I winked and walked ahead of him towards the ski lift.

The girl was average height...maybe a bit on the tall side. She has straight brown hair held back by a headband, and appeared to work here.

After we got on the conversation started up again, “Seriously? She was?”
“Mhhhmmm.” I smiled.

The first ride down the hill went well, and we were soon at the bottom again. “Go talk to her.” I instructed.
“What if she wasn’t really looking at me?” He asked.
“Oh of course she wasn’t looking at you, she was starring at that gorgeous tree over there. Come on, just go talk to her.” I pushed him forward, and then proceeded to go up to the lift and repeat the trail down the hill.

Jared’s POV.

“Uhm, hey.” I smiled cheesily, rubbing the back of my neck out of nervousness. Stupid Staal bad habits.
She gave me a small smile in return, “Hello.”
“Well, I might as well clear the awkwardness right now. My sister made me come over here.” I pointed over to the hill where Nicki was making her way down on her board in a pretty nice fashion.
“Oh, she’s your sister?” Anna asked.
“Yeah,” I laughed lightly, “She’s always trying to set me up with people.”
Anna giggled, “…And you wish she’d realize you can find girls yourself?”
“Exactly!” I let out a breath I didn’t realize I was holding, “Finally someone who is on my side!” We both laughed for a few moments. “I’m Jared by the way,” I outstretched my hand.
“I’m Annabeth, but call me Anna.” She took my hand.
“What a pleasure it is to meet you,” I spoke in an English accent, a really bad one at that.
She laughed, “Please, the pleasure is all mine.” She joked back in the same sort of accent.
Our eyes met and we smiled and each other giggling for a few more moments.
“Oh, uhm Jared.” Anna spoke.
“Yeah?” I answered.
“Can I have my hand back please?” She asked with a smirk on her face.
I pulled my hand back quickly, embarrassed, “Sorry!”
She smiled and giggled, “It’s okay.”
“So, uhm...Anna...would you...uh, like to...uhm maybe go out...for...dinner...uh, sometime?” My hand found it’s way to the back of my neck again.
“Well, uhm...Jared...uh, will...you uh, be talking...uhm..like this...the whole...uhm, time?” She winked at me.
I laughed, this girl was funny, “Naw, I think I’ll be over my nerves by then.”

Nicki’s POV

After successfully going down the hill, I undid my right binding and pushed myself over to the two people talking.

“So how are things over here? Got a first date planned yet?” I winked. Both of them looked over at me with the ‘deer in headlights’ look. “I guess I was right!” I laughed. I turned to face the girl, “I’m Nicki by the way. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” I sent her smile and stuck out my hand.
“Hey Nicki. I’m Annabell, but just call me Anna.” She shook my hand and we then dropped them.
“Well it’s nice to meet you! ” I smiled. “Do you work her?” I asked.
“Yeah, I do. And...” She looked at her watch, “My shift has just finished. Would you guys like to do something?”
“Actually. We were just going to head back to the billet’s, and then get ready for one of Jared’s games.”
“Games? What do you play?” Anna asked.
My mouth dropped. “I play for the Sudbury Wolves. Hockey.” He said.
“Ah, I see.” She nodded, easily letting us know she had no experience with the sport. But maybe it would be nice, you know, be around someone who didn’t know about our famous family.
“Hey, Jare, anyway you could hook us up one more ticket? That is, if Anna here isn’t busy tonight.”
“Oh, I’m free,” She smiled.
Jared smiled, “Awesome. I’m sure I can get you a ticket.”
“Awesome! I’ve never been to a hockey game before.” She smiled.

After making plans for this evening, we split up and heading in opposite directions.

“Hello again.” I smiled as I met Anna at the door of the arena.
“Hey!” She greeted me.

We walked over to our seats. “Anna, this is Ainslee, John’s girlfriend. John’s one of my friends, who is also one of Jared’s teammates. Ainslee, this is Anna. Jared and I met her today, after I attempted to set them up...and I think it’s working.” I sent a wink in her direction. After we all sat down I spoke again, “Let’s get ready to watch some hockey.”

The game went well, with the Wolves beating the Ice Dogs by a score of 5-2.

Anna turned out to be just as nice as when I first met her. Ainslee and I had to explain something to her, but I’m pretty sure we all had a great time.

Most of the people had evacuated the arena and the three of us decided to go down to the dressing room. “Decent?” I called in. The response was yes so we entered the room.

After a bit of socializing my phone rang, “Hello?” I answered, not bothering to check the caller ID.
“Nicki! Hey!” Tyler’s voice rang through the line.
“Oh hey Ty.” I smiled. Most of the eyes in the dressing room seemed to be on me. “What’s up?”’
“Uhm, not much. Just wanted to tell you I can pick you up from the airport tomorrow. Is that okay.” I agreed and he continued, “Well I have to go. See you tomorrow.”
I said bye and hung up. “Well that was a short call again.” Something was up and I could tell. I through my phone onto the floor and flopped onto the bench in the room to think.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that it took so long but a lot has been going on.
Thanks for the comment on the last chapter guys. Can we get 3 on this chapter?! :D
Oh and what do you think it up with Tyler? Things seem a little weird. And do you like the new character 'Anna'? :)
Lastly, thanks so much to Britty713 for all the help with this chapter! <3
Thanks guys! :)