Status: Active

Totally Not Average

Surprising Reactions

“Where are we going?” I asked, leaning back against the soft leather seats.

“Your house.” Alex answered simply, taking a sharp right turn.

“What?” I asked, because clearly I had heard him wrong. “No, we can’t go to my house! Do you want me to get grounded for all eternity?”

Alex snickered, “Who says ‘eternity’ anymore?”

I glared, “Not the point.” I stated. “What about my car? Your car? You in my house while my Dad gets there? Gah, you want me to get disowned, don’t you?”

“God, Woman!” He exclaimed, “Stop freaking out!”

“I can’t help it.” I defended, crossing my arms over my chest. I forgot about my wrist, though and bent it in an unnatural angle. “SHIT.” I practically screamed, cradling my wrist to my chest.

“Are you okay?” He asked, stomping on the brakes.

I nodded, “I’m fine, I’m fine.” I murmured, trying not to cry out.

“You don’t look fine.” Alex got out of the car and opened my car door. He kneeled down in front of me and gently took my wrist. He looked at it back and forth, like he was studying it.

“Who are you, a doctor?” I joked.

Alex looked up at me and gave me a serious look, “Why, yes, indeed I am.”

I burst out laughing, “You’re such an idiot.” I gasped in between boughs of laughter.

“And you’re cured.” He smiled at me, and gave me back my wrist.

I smiled back at him and Alex got up, gesturing for me to get out of the car. I got out of the car and he shut the door behind me. I looked around and saw that we were just a block away from my house and that Alex had hidden the car behind a small park, so my Dad, if he got home early, wouldn’t notice.

“Smart.” I commented, “Does this mean you do this a lot?” I raised an eyebrow.

“Don’t hate.” He muttered, running a hand through his hair.

I laughed, “Okay, let’s go.” I said and started to walk. Alex walked besides me, as quiet as always.

Sometimes I wondered what was on his mind or how he thought. What were his priorities? How was his family like? Most importantly, why is here now? What caused him to move in the middle of senior year?

Alex looked at me, “What?” He looked like he was blushing, but I couldn’t be sure, “What are you staring at?”

I blushed and ducked my head; I didn’t even realize I was staring. “Nothing,” I shook my head, “Nothing.”

“Sure.” He snorted, “Now tell me.”

I took a deep breath, “Well, I guess…” I tried to choose my words carefully so I wouldn’t sound weird. “I was just wondering again why you came here in the middle of the year… or what your family was like and, “ I shrugged, “Just stuff like that.”

Alex nodded, “You want to meet my family?” He asked, raising an eyebrow.

I blushed again, “Well, um, sure, I guess. Why not?” I stammered, feeling nervous for no apparent reason.

“I’ll take you there to meet them one day.” His brown eyes pierced into mine, “They’d love you.”

I smiled, “Thanks, I guess.”

We reached my house and I walked up the front steps, taking out my keys and unlocking the door. I walked in and set my keys on the small table. I walked through the foyer and into the kitchen, just then noticing that Alex hadn’t stepped through the door.

I looked back at him, furrowing my eyebrows, “What’s the matter?” I asked.

His eyes met mine and I felt a shiver run through me. Alex didn’t say anything though, so I go walk over to him, standing right in front of him. I looked at him, waiting for him to look at me, when he did, I looked away, embarrassed.

“Are you going to come in?” I asked, finding courage to look him in the eyes again.

He didn’t say anything, and it felt weird. I didn’t know why, because Alex wasn’t a guy of many words. He barely talked and when he did, it was always the right words. I knew what other people said about him, what they thought about him. Everybody thought he was the quiet type, the guy who thinks he’s better than everyone.

I didn’t think that was true though, I just think Alex sees through all these different masks people put up for the world to see. He looks past the bullshit and to the real person, and a lot of people are scared of that.

Including me.

For reasons unknown to me now, I took his hand, grasping it firmly and pulled him in the house. I dragged him along with me in the house until we got to the kitchen. His hand was big and warm around mine, and surprisingly, it sent electric jolts throughout my arm.

“This is my house.” I said, looking around the kitchen.

Alex still wasn’t saying anything and I was starting to get worried. I turned around and noticed our hands were still together. I didn’t mind though, his hand was warm, heating me up. He was a few feet away from me, staring at me intently.

I felt nervous with his eyes piercing through me like that. I didn’t like to be judged, and Alex was the only one who had ever dared to do that.

“What’s the matter?” I breathed, hoping he couldn’t hear my pounding heart.

Alex gripped my hand even tighter and pulled me towards him. We still had a bit of space between us, but we were so close. I didn’t dare look into his eyes, scared that I would get lost in them. I focused on the collar of his shirt; it was a black shirt and he was wearing a silver chain that was barely visible under it.

Without thinking I reached out and put my fingers on the chain, picking it up. My fingers brushed against his collarbone and I could’ve sworn I saw him shiver. The chain in my hand was just a chain. It was silver, catching the light just right, heavy and thick. It was cold against my fingers, weighing it down.

Alex put two fingers under my chin, making me look up at him. I let out a sigh through my lips, trying to breathe normally. I gazed into his dark brown eyes, wondering what was going on here. His eyes captivated me, making me dizzy and intoxicated. His eyes were dark, but light enough that you could see the flecks of black around the iris.

His gaze went from my eyes to my lips, making my breathing catch. He didn’t want to kiss me, did he? My breathing hiked and I could’ve sworn something flashed in his eyes. I gulped, letting my lips part. Did I want him to kiss me? Did I?

I didn’t have answers to any of these questions, and that’s what killed me. He leaned down, his lips just a few centimeters away from my own lips. I didn’t know what to do, I couldn’t think! All I could see was Alex, all I could smell was Alex; he was all that was on my mind.

Just as he was about to close the distance between our lips, a lock sounded. We froze, staring at each other. Did my dad get here? It was too early for that, wasn’t it?

A door opened and I heard keys jingle and drop. The door slammed shut and I heard shuffling. Oh, shit.

Dad was home.
♠ ♠ ♠
No banner today but only because I'm too lazy to post it.

I am addicted to the song "Kiss My Sass by Cobra Starship". Checkkitttouttt(:

Comment--Subscribe.

Julie. (I like Julie better than Jules, honestly.)