Status: Active

Totally Not Average

Ignorance Is Bliss

I shot Alex a panicked look, trying to breathe and think straight. I couldn’t though, not when Alex was this close to me and my dad was just ten feet away!

He grasped my hand even more tightly and pushed me towards the back door located in the kitchen. How he knew it was there, I had no clue, but now was not a time for questions. We raced out the back door, and before I knew it, we were practically running back to his car.

I stopped when I saw the car in sight, laughing and running at the same time. I stumbled on a ditch in the grass and fell over, still laughing. Alex was beside me, chuckling too. I turned my head and looked at him, smiling.

He looked at me too, and I had a glimpse of what went on between us that afternoon. A jolt went through me and I shook my head, trying to clear those thoughts. The reminders were fresh on my mind, leaving a scar behind.

I got up from where I was lying down and brushed off the grass that was sticking to my clothes. Alex got up too, and went silently to his car. I followed and walked over to the drivers side watching as he got in. He rolled down the window and looked at me; his brown eyes expecting.

“Thanks for the ride.” I said lamely, smiling a bit.

Alex chuckled, “Nice.” He rolled his eyes, “See you later, Mandy.”

He slammed on the gas and sped off, leaving no room for me to say anything else.

---

“Where have you been?” My dad asked as I walked through the door.

I didn’t really have an explanation, but I didn’t need one.

“What happened to your wrist?” He asked, looking down at it.

“I sprained it.” I told him, staring blankly at him.

“How?” What was up with all these questions?

I took a deep breath, “At school, I felt dizzy and fainted, but I fell on my wrist, and sprained it. The nurse put this bandage around it and told me not to get it wet. She also told someone to drive me home because I’m in ‘no condition to drive.’” And yes, I used air-quotes.

“Are you okay?” My dad asked.

Eventually, it all came down to that question: Are you okay? I didn’t know the answer to the question, not since my Mom died. This question had become more and more frequent and frankly, it was getting annoying. Of course I wasn’t okay, that much was obvious when your mother died.

I looked up at dad and thought about it. Was I okay? Alex and I had almost kissed, Dad had interrupted and now I feel…empty.

“I’m fine.” I told him, even though I was clearly not fine. Without another word, I walked upstairs, trying to block the images of Alex in my head.

---

Honk!

A car horn sounded and I jumped, startled. I just ignored it though, figuring someone was late for work or something.

Honk! Honk!

I groaned, who was this person? I grudgingly got up from my bed and pushed aside the curtains to see a black camaro in my driveway, honking its horn more than once.

I checked the clock on my nightstand and my eyes widened, it was 8:30 AM. Oh my God. I was late, so late for school!

I swore under my breath and went to my closet, picking random jeans and a t-shirt. I didn’t have time to be picky, I just had to choose something and put it on. After I put on my clothes, I went to my bathroom and ran a comb through my hair, thankful that it was wavy today and not curly.

I brushed my teeth quickly, put on some quick make-up and ran out the door; back-pack and cell phone in hand. I locked the door behind me and quickly got into Alex’s car.

“I’m so, so, sorry!” I exclaimed, putting on my seatbelt. I set the sun visor down and flipped open the mirror; looking in the mirror and making sure my hair looked okay.

“What happened? I’ve been out here, honking, for ten minutes.” He told me, speeding up to make sure we were on time.

“It’s not my fault.” I thought about it, “Okay, maybe it is, but I’m sorry!” I laughed, “I overslept because I didn’t hear my alarm clock.”

He nodded, “I don’t think your neighbors like me.”

I laughed, “As long as they keep their mouth shut and don’t tell my Dad anything, I’m good.”

“I’m offended, is that all you care about?” He put a hand to his chest, mocking hurt, “Denying our love?”

I chuckled, “What love?” I joked.

“Insulting me in my own car.” He muttered under his breath.

“You’re the one who’s been picking me up.” I smirked, “I’m just accepting out of common courtesy.”

“Huh.” He noted, parking the car and cutting off the engine. “Come on, we’re going to be late.”

I got out and shut the door, practically running to catch up with his ‘fast walking.’ “Going to be?” I snorted, “We already are.”

Just as I said that, the second bell rang, echoing throughout the parking lot and the school. I walked up the steps to the school and opened the door, walking into the air-conditioned place. It was a pretty nice school if you got past the mean teachers, and the ignorant students.

I walked towards my class and noticed that Alex had long abandoned me. I sighed and leaned against a random locker. Everything was back to normal, whatever that was. Somehow, it didn’t feel as good as having his hand around mine, warming me up completely.

But maybe, this – being ignorant of whatever it was that went between us—was for the best.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like this one; it's really good in my opinion (:

When I look back and read my story, I feel pretty proud, because it's a good story [I HOPE.] && because it's a real story that I actually FINISHED.

If you know me, you know I leave things unfinished; a lot.

Anyways,

Comment--Subscribe.

Banners? Come on! You know you love me (:

<3 Julie.