Sequel: Green Porcupine

Bus Stop

The Business Trip

"I have to go on a business trip next week." My dad says at our weekly father-daughter dinner.
"Okay," I say going back to my spaghetti.
"It's in Vegas, so I was wondering if you wanted to come with me?" he asks me looking up from his own plate.
"I guess. Can I go to the casinos?" I ask with big eyes.
"No, you're only seventeen. But the hotel has a pool and George is bringing his daughter too...oh what's her name again?"
"Jane?" I ask trying to remember who George is.
"No, that's not it, oh I remember, it's Julia," he says after a few moments.
"Oh yeah, Jules," I say remembering this pretty cool punk girl I met a year ago.
"So are you going to come?" he asks with a mouth full of pasta.
"Yeah."

"Ready to go?" my dad asks as he puts my duffle bag in the trunk of his car a week later. We drive for about two hours and my dad turns to me.
"Do you want to drive for an hour or two?"
"Okay," I say as he pulls over so we can switch seats. The trip is pretty much silent except for the low hum of the radio. We finally get to Vegas and we make our way up to the hotel room. I look around the hotel room, two beds, a washroom, a television and a mini-fridge. I open the mini-fridge and take out a can of coke and drink it in almost one gulp.

"Tonight there's a dinner, you are welcome to come or sulk around in the hotel room." My dad says as he opens his suitcase and pulls out his suit.
"I'll come I guess. Is it formal?"
"Semi-formal," he mutters as he grabs is tie and conceals himself in the washroom. I sit in front of the T.V. a while then my dad comes out of the washroom, showered and groomed. "I'll be back in an hour, if you're coming to the dinner, you have to be ready by that time." I nod not taking my eyes off the television set.

The T.V, show I was watching came to an end so I began to get ready for this dinner thing. I took a shower, styled my hair, and then went to choose something to wear. I picked out a black skirt and a baby blue t-shirt. My dad comes into the hotel room.
"Are you coming to the dinner?"
"Yeah, I just have to put on my shoes," I say pulling a pair of black shoes out of my bag.

We take the elevator down to the dinner hall, where we see the rest of my dad's business associates and their spouses, and at a separate table their offspring. I go to sit next to Jules at the offspring table.
"Hi Jules," I say as I pull out my chair.
"Hey Bianca," she says as she turns to the small group she was conversing with, "Everyone, this is Bianca, and Bianca this is Caitlin, Steven, and Oliver."
"Hello," I say as I make a small wave. The offspring I hung out with were pretty cool, except Caitlin she's a real prosthetic, but I try not to cause any conflict with her. The dinner ended and we all went to our separate hotel rooms.

"So did you have fun?" my dad asks in a weak attempt to bond with me.
"Yeah, the people I ate with were pretty nice," I say as I take off my uncomfortable shoes in the middle of the hall.
"Well, tomorrow my co-workers and I are going to a casino, so if you like you can have them over to our hotel room and watch movies."
"Yeah, okay." I say not really caring too much.

The next evening, just as planned, Jules, Caitlin, Steven and Oliver come up to my hotel room. We decide to order a pizza while watching one of these sappy teen romance movies. In the middle of the movie, the phone rings. Jules goes to pick it up.
"Bianca, it's for you." I walk over to the phone.
"Hey baby, who was that, a lesbian lover?" Tre's voice rings out.
"Hi Tre," I say chuckling at his suspicions, "No that was Jules, all my dad's co-worker's offspring are here and we're watching a movie and eating pizza."
"Hmm, may I ask why I wasn't invited?"
"Because you're a five hour drive away," I say laughing, "But if you want you can drive down here and join us."
"Like Mike would let me drive the truck."
"Tre I have to go now." I say as the others tell me to shut up.
"Okay, I'll hump you in three days." Tre says snickering to himself.
"Hump me? Aren't you romantic, okay love you, bye" I say about to hang up.
"Love you too!!!" I hear Tre yell.

"Who was that?" Caitlin asks being the nosey brat that she is.
"My boyfriend, Tre," I say as I go to sit back down.
"Oh," Oliver chortles into his drink.
"What?" I say looking over at him awkwardly.
"Nothing," he says putting his drink to his mouth. Steven comes up to me and whispers in my ear.
"He was going to ask you out at the end of the night." I look over at Oliver who turns beet red.
"It's okay, you didn't know," I say smiling at him, trying not to laugh at the interesting shade of red he was turning. Not much is said throughout the rest of the movie, and everyone leaves at the end of it, Steve takes the rest of the pizza with him. Personally, I think he should have left it; he was on the pudgy side already.