Dearly Beloved

Finding home

It was about 3 am; we where speeding past the traffic lights, the music had died down a bit and Billie was trying to get a grip, but it didn't seem to be working.
"Okay, okay, okay... " he sighed, "Now can someone please tell me what's going on?" he said slowly.
"Well... " I started.
"After you beat shit out of Mike, we had to stop at the hospital because you busted his head open and then we took off trying to get home to stop Brittney and then the cops got on us and the only was to escape was by crashing through the Publix and then we went doing laps and here we are!" Tre gushed.
"Wow. Okay." Billie was pretty much quiet after that. A song softly played on the radio.

Six o'clock in the morning
You're the last to hear the warning
You've been trying to throw your arms
Around the world
You've been falling off the sidewalk
Your lips move but you can't talk
Tryin' to throw your arms around the world

I'm gonna run to you, run to you, run to you
Be still
I'm gonna run to you, run to you, run to you
Woman I will

Sunrise like a nosebleed
Your head hurts and you can't breathe
You been tryin' to throw you arms around the world
How far you gonna go
Before you lose your way back home
You've been trying to throw your arms
Around the world

I'm gonna run to you, run to you, run to you
Woman be still
I'm gonna run to you, run to you, run to you
Woman I will

Yeah, I dreamed that I saw Dali
With a supermarket trolley
He was trying to throw his arms around a girl
He took an open top beetle
Through the eye of a needle
He was tryin' to throw his arms around the world

I'm gonna run to you, run to you, run to you
Woman be still
I'm gonna run to you, run to you, run to you
Oh, Woman I will

(And you just gotta, you just gotta make your
Faith...see...)

Nothin' much to say I guess
Just the same as all the rest
Been trying to throw your arms around the world
And a woman needs a man
Like a fish needs a bicycle
When you're tryin' to throw your arms around the world

I'm gonna run to you, run to you, run to you
I'm gonna run to you, run to you, run to you
I'm gonna run to you, run to you, run to you
Woman be still
Woman be still
Be still
Woman be still
Woman I will

"Whose that by?" I asked Tre, who was slipping away.
"U2," he whispered, just before he passed out. I nodded and shifted in my seat. It was quiet. Real quiet. I think Billie fell asleep. It was just me. As I listened to the song, it reminded me of Brittney. I was scared. Not for just Adie, or me, but for her. I didn't want to her to hurt other people, much less herself. I knew there was a motive. I knew she must have been hurt. I hoped it wasn't me who hurt her.

20 minutes later, I cautiously passed by Billie's house, trying not to look suspicious. As I slowly cruised by, I saw all the lights were out except one high in the second floor. I knew it was the master bedroom. I wondered if she was up there with Adie. There was only one way to find out.

I parked the car across the street further up and walked to the house. The front door was locked. I went behind the house, but the back door was locked too. All the windows were locked shut. I went back to the front of the house to see that the light went out. I pulled out my cell and rang the house. The first time I called no one answered. I called again. Just before the answer machine came on, some picked up. I stared at the window up high.
"Hello?" I recognized Adie's voice. She sounded tired. I was surprised at first to hear her.
"Adie?"
"Mike? Why are calling? It's 3 in the morning in here Cali, go back to bed," she told me. I could hear yawning. I had sense something was not quiet right to my expectations.
"Adie, look out your bed room window," I told her.
"What?" she asked. I them saw the curtain pull back behind the window and there she stood. In a nightgown and with dreadlocks tied back.

Adie's POV

I looked out my window and there he was. I was surprised to see him. He stood in the middle of the street, the moonlight glowing down on him and the paved road. He stood in such way, looking up to me in with the phone up to his ear, with a look of forlorn hope and shame that reminded me of he was young. Before Stella born. Young and restless. A pang of sympathy hit me. I was silent, so was he. I knew something was wrong.
"What are doing here?" I finally asked. In saw him bit his lip.
"Do you know where Brittney is?" I raised an eyebrow at the question. I did the same this afternoon after she happened to stop by for no reason.
"She visited me and the kids this afternoon and then she head off. She said she was going to home. Why?" From my window, I saw him still staring up at me.
"Was she okay?" I heard him ask softly.
"She seemed... a little sad and uneasy. She was zoning out a lot and all she did was stare at photos I had of you guys on the wall. She left within 10 minutes," I told him.
"Oh. Okay." There was some more silence. He was still staring up at me.
"You wanna come in?"
"Okay."
I hung up the phone and grabbed my robe. I walked down the stairs and down the hall to the front door. As I opened it up, Mike stood there, with his hands in his pockets, staring down at the welcome rug. He looked up as he heard me open the door. He looked terribly worried and depressed, unsure of what to do. As he walked in I gave him a hug. He hugged me back.

"You want some coffee?" I asked him. He nodded. As I went to start the coffee maker, he sat down in the living room. I walked back and sat down on the sofa opposite to him, adjusting my robe.
"So, what's going on? Are you okay?"
I saw him fumbling with the pillow seam next to him.
"I had dream."