Light Me On Fire

What You Do;

It had been two weeks since I tried out for the softball team, and needless to say, the practices were kicking my ass. I hadn’t worked out so much in years, and the sudden hardcore workouts were showing me just how out of shape I was, despite being thin. Today was Friday, and our first game of the season would be tonight; I was a nervous wreck.

“Dude, stop!” Kelsi yelled, placing her hand on my leg, which had previously been bouncing up and down non-stop.

I looked at her. “Sorry, Kels, I’m just nervous as fuck for tonight!”

“It’s understandable, but it’s not like it’ll be your first time. I mean, you did play before,” she told me, before taking a sip of her Vitamin Water.

I sighed, laying my head on Becca’s shoulder. “Becca, wanna play for me?”

She laughed, before patting my head. “No way, Soph. I mean, I love you and all, but track is my calling.”

I sighed, before sitting up straight. “You both suck.” Kelsi slapped me and Becca gave me a look, causing me to laugh. “Kidding! Anyway, how’s the whole Garrett thing going, Beccs?”

She gave me a shy smile. “Really good, actually. Ever since our first date last week, I’ve found myself liking him even more than before.”

I smiled. “Awe, how adorable. It’s about time Garrett found himself a good girl. We were beginning to lose all hope for the poor guy.”

She rolled her eyes, but laughed. “He’s really amazing, actually.”

I placed my hand over my heart, looking at Kelsi. “Did she just say what I think she said?”

Kelsi nodded her head, placing her own hand over her heart. “Have we entered the Twilight Zone?”

“No, but I’m sure Garrett wouldn’t mind it if we somehow were,” I joked, just as the boys sat down at the table.

“What wouldn’t I mind?” Garrett asked, taking a seat next to Becca.

“Oh, nothing, Gare,” I said.

He scoffed, but began talking away to Becca. Kennedy took a seat next to Kelsi, as Pat and Jared sat across from me.

“Dude, they ran out of pizza!” Pat screeched. “How does that happen!?”

I laughed. “Poor Pat.”

He pouted before jabbing his fork into a spoonful of pasta. “I know! This is, like, the worst day ever!”

Jared laughed and patted his shoulder. “If it makes you feel better, we can order pizza after Sophie and Elle’s game tonight, Pat.”

His big, brown eyes lit up. “Really!?”

Jared nodded his head. “Really.”

And just like that, Pat seemed to forget all about the short supply of school pizza. “Hey, where’s that obnoxiously tall boy that thinks he can sing, that you call a friend?” I asked.

Jared looked at me and busted out laughing. “Standing right behind you, Soph.”

I leaned my head back, seeing an upside down John pouting at me. “Uh … ha ha?”

He rolled his eyes. “You’re such a lame best friend.”

I smiled. “I was only kidding. I mean, there are only like a hundred other tall boys who think they can sing in this school.”

Pat pointed his fork at me. “She’s telling the truth.”

John laughed before placing his hands on my shoulders. “Are you starving?”

I shook my head. “No, why?”

“I wanna talk to you real quick.”

Kelsi and Becca both hit my leg with theirs, and I moaned out in pain. “Fuck, guys!”

“Sorry!” they both chimed, causing the guys to give the three of us confused looks.

I sighed and stood up, grabbing my bottle of Diet Cherry Coke, before walking alongside John, out into the hallway. “What’s on your mind, JohnO?”

He didn’t talk until we came to a stop, about halfway down the hallway. “Us.”

“Us?” I asked, arching my brows.

He nodded his head, licking his lips. “I feel like we haven’t hung out, just you and me, in ages. What’s up with that, Ettley?”

I laughed, leaning my back against a locker. “You tell me; it seems like you and Elle have been spending every waking moment together.”

He stuffed his hands into his pockets. “You’ve been spending a lot of time with Nick.”

I rolled my eyes. “That’s different. I, at least, make time for the guys and Kelsi and Becca. Even Jared’s been telling me how when you show up for band practice, it’s like you’re not even there.”

He sighed. “I’ve just got a lot on my mind, Soph.”

“Like what?” I pressed.

He ran a hand through his hair. “Just … stuff.”

I grabbed his hand. “What stuff?”

He dropped his hand, causing mines to fall as well, and laced his fingers with mine. “Stuff like prom, graduation, the band and touring this summer … and, what I’m going to do about Elle.”

“What do you mean, do about Ellie?”

He gave me a ‘duh’ look. “Sophia, you know the guys aren’t going to go for her coming on the road with us. I mean, I’m not gunna lie, it’d be nice to get a break from her, but that doesn’t mean that I want to break up with her … I just don’t know how she’s going to take the news.”

“Well, graduation and summer’s a little ways off, John. You’ve got a few months to think about what you’re going to do; don’t stress yourself out about it now.”

He gave me a smile. “You’re too smart for your own good, Sophia Lyric.”

I grinned. “Someone’s got to have the brains in this friendship.”

He laughed, swinging our hands back and forth. “So … how’re things with, uh, you and Nick?”

“They’re good, actually. Nick’s a total sweetie.”

He nodded his head. “Well, that’s good.” His gaze fell to the ugly blue carpet, and I could sense a sudden tension forming between us.

“John?”

He looked up at me. “What?”

“You seem upset,” I said.

He shook his head. “I’m not upset.”

I rolled my eyes. “You can’t lie to me.”

He smirked. “And how would you know that?”

“Because I know you,” I told him.

He laughed. “You can’t use my line!”

I shrugged. “Who says I can’t?”

“I do, Ettley.”

I smiled. “And since when have I ever listened to you?”

He rolled his eyes, and pulled me into a hug, taking me by surprise. “I’ll be cheering for you tonight, Soph.”

I smiled, inhaling the clean scent of his flannel. “I’ll be looking for you out in the bleachers, O’Callaghan.”

____________________________________________________________

I pushed the sleeves of my white undershirt up, and tried to breathe as I took my place on the mound. I was going to pitch my first ball of the night, and it suddenly felt like the heat was swallowing me, and my uniform was sticking to my skin, due to the excess sweating I had been experiencing since I first put it on. I took my stance, pivoted my foot, brought my hands up, and released the ball; it landed in the catcher’s mitt. I smiled as I heard the crowd cheering behind me, the umpire calling ‘strike one’.

__________________________________________________________

The majority of the game, I had repeated the same actions, nearly striking out the whole opposite team’s batters, save for three good ones, who put up quite a fight. When the end of the game came, our team won by seven points: 10-3. After high-fiving the opposing team, who I could tell were less than excited to slap my hand, the girls of my team bombarded me with gratitude. I was elated, to say the least.

However, the look on Elle’s face let me know that she was than thrilled at the cheers I was getting.

“Hey, it was a team effort,” I told her.

She rolled her eyes. “It was beginner’s luck.”

I laughed. “Ellie, I’ve played before.”

“Whatever,” she said, stalking off.

I rolled my eyes. “Dumb bitch,” I muttered, as I walked towards the bleachers. A few strangers gave me smiles and ‘congratulations’, all of whom I thanked. When I finally got past the crowd, I spotted Nick waving at me, jumping up and down. I laughed as I ran into his arms.

“Babe, you did fucking amazing!” he yelled.

I smiled and pressed my lips against his. “I had a reason to show off.”

He chuckled and ruffled the top of my head. “You look sexy when you play. You get all sweaty, and dirty … what’re you doing later?”

I laughed and punched his shoulder. “You wish, Santino.”

He smiled. “I know.”

Someone cleared their throats, and when I turned around, I saw John standing with his arms open. “Johnny!”

He laughed as I collided into his arms. “You did good, Ettley. I’m proud to call you my best friend.”

I smiled. “I told you I still had it.”

He smirked. “That you did!”

“Dude! You fucking murdered those bitches!” Kelsi screamed, running up to me.

I laughed and gave her a hug. “You know how I do.”

Becca laughed and gave me a hug as well. “You’ve got one hell of an arm.”

I bowed. “Thank you, thank you.”

Nick grabbed my hand and pulled me into him. “I say we take our little champion out for a victory party.”

“No parties during game season,” Ellie stated, coming up behind the group.

We all turned around, and John laughed. “Babe, come on, we party all the time!”

She shook her head, pushing him away as he tried to hug her. “I’m sweaty and gross. I don’t want to be touched.” She turned to me. “And you, remember what I told you: if the coach hears about you smoking or drinking, you’re off the team.”

I rolled my eyes, leaning my back against Nick’s chest as he wrapped his arms around me. “Ellie, he won’t know. Besides, I bet you half the team will be there.”

“You just always get what you fucking want, don’t you?!” she seethed before running off.

“Uh … I’ll be back,” John mumbled, before taking off after her.

“Like I said before, I don’t get why he follows her around like a fucking dog,” Garrett said.

Kennedy nodded his head, wrapping his hands around Kelsi’s waist. “She’s just being her normal bitchy self.” He looked at me. “So, party – you in, Soph?”

I nodded my head. “Definitely.”
♠ ♠ ♠
- Sophia's Uniform

Ellie's such a bitch. I love writing her. Hahaa. My brother's talking my ear off, and showing off the veins in arms to me and my mom - he's been working out. Personally, veins creep me out, but whatever. I'm rambling, and I'll shut up. Thank you for commenting and subscribing, loves! (: