Light Me On Fire

So Thanks For Your Help;

After practically yelling and pushing my way through John and our friends, I was finally able to make it to my car. It was safe to say I was literally seeing red as my hand pushed the gear into ‘drive’ and my right foot pressed harshly down on the gas pedal. I flew down the street, but it still didn’t seem to be fast enough for my liking. My phone was set in the center console and kept going off every two minutes with calls and texts. I took a sharp right and pressed my foot even harder on the gas, feeling the urgency of needing to kick Elle’s ass flow through my bloodstream.

I made it to her house in record timing, and had only just shifted the gear to ‘park’ before jumping out of the car. I sprinted the walkway to her overly-large house and knocked on the too-pretty cherry oak wood door.

“Sophia?” she said as a smile fell from her face.

“What the fuck is your problem, Elle?” I yelled, not beating around the bush as to why I was there.

A frightened look appeared on her face before she crossed her arms over her chest, almost as if she were shielding herself. “W – what are you talking about?”

I rolled my eyes, losing my last bit of patience. “Don’t fuck around with me. John told me that you plan on going to Coach on Monday to tell him about me partying. Why the hell would you do that?” She stared at me blankly, blinking a few times. “I swear, Elle, you’ve got two fucking seconds before my fist collides with your face!”

This seemed to get her going, because the bitchy stoic look that usually adorned her face, became present once more. “You don’t deserve to be on the team, Sophia.”

“How in the hell do I not deserve it?!”

“There’ve been kids who’ve tried out countless times to make it, and never have. You walk in to one try-out and make the team. Not to mention, you steal everyone else’s glory!”

I scoffed. “I don’t steal anyone’s glory, Elle. I worked my ass off last night to pitch that game. I don’t see anyone being a little bitch about it, except you.”

She gave me glare. “You can’t always get what you fucking want! You wanted the team, you got that! You wanted John, and now you have him!”

I took a step closer to her face, causing her to shift uncomfortably. “First of all, you were the one who begged me to try out with you, so don’t fucking cop an attitude because I actually made the team. And second of all, I don’t want John. I have Nick, in case your fucking small as shit brain can’t remember that fact.”

“I can see it in the way you look at him whenever he’s near you! Don’t stand on my porch and call me a liar, you whore!”

I let out a small, dry laugh before looking into Elle’s eyes. “I’d apologize now if I were you, Elle.”

“I’m not apologizing for anything. And I hope you enjoy my sloppy seconds!” She tried to shut the door in my face, but I pushed it open with the palms of my hands, causing her to stumble backwards.

Before she could run away, I grabbed the back of her flannel shirt and swung her around, connecting my right fist with her face. She yelped in pain before falling to the floor. I straddled her hips, swinging at her face with both of my fists, as she tried to flip us over. With her knee, she hit me in my back, causing me to lose my breath for a moment, and was able to push me over and hover on top of me.

Much like I had done to her, she began taking swings at my face. I thanked the Lord that her punches were weak, and that she was small, because it allowed me to easily push her off of my lap. She landed with a thud against the wall, just as her front door flew open. Both of our gazes locked on her parents, whose conversation stopped as soon as they saw us.

Elle was sitting against the wall, breathing hard with her hair all over the place and her face a bright red, with a busted lip. I stood up slowly, pulling the hem of my shirt down, and cleared my throat. I walked to the door and stepped around her parents before skipping happily down the walkway, back to my car. Just as soon as I was inside, I could see the boys’ van pull up behind me. I laughed and waved my left hand out of the window, before lighting a cigarette. I smiled as I saw strands of my hair messily wavered in the wind, and although my face was a slight red, I felt accomplished.

_________________________________________________________________

I had explained the whole fight between Elle and I to the group on Sunday, earning me a cheer from everyone as they listened to each hit and punch I gave her.

Today was Monday, back to school, and I had successfully made it through the day Elle-free; she didn't show and I figured it was because she didn’t want anyone to see how swollen and bruised her face was. I also hadn’t been told anything by my parents of having a call from Elle’s parents, so it was only my guess that she had come up with a lie as to why we were fighting.

After grabbing the books I would need for homework, I made my way towards the gym, taking the back doors towards the baseball field. The heat was especially sweltering today, causing beads of sweat to break out across my forehead, upper lip and the back of my neck. I was grateful for having enough sense to choose shorts over jeans this morning.

By the time I reached the dugout, I felt all nervousness leave my body. As much as I did enjoy being back on the softball team, it wasn’t something I truly wanted to do. I saw Coach Ramey scribbling something on his clipboard, the sunglasses on his hat looking like they were about to fall off any second as his head leaned downward. Just as the glasses were about to fall, I reached my hand out and caught them.

I smiled and held the black shades up to him. “I saw it coming.”

He laughed and placed them back over his hat. “Thank you, Ettley. You should start getting ready for practice.”

I looked at the door leading to the dressing room, and shook my head. “Actually, that’s what I’m here to talk to you about.”

“What do you mean?” he asked, taking his eyes off the clipboard to look at me.

“I can’t play for the team anymore, Coach Ramey.”

He gave me a bewildered look, trying to hide the disappointment I knew he was feeling. “And why’s that, Ettley?”

“To be honest, my heart’s not in it. I thought it was something I could start enjoying again, but I can’t. And I know you’ll probably hear this from Elle whenever she decides to come back to school, but I’m what you would consider a … partygoer, and I don’t plan on stopping that anytime soon,” I admitted.

He sighed and let the clipboard fall, holding it by his side. “Are you sure this is what you want to do, Sophia?”

I nodded my head. “I’m positive, Mr. Ramey.”

He nodded his head. “Very well then … I’ll get someone to replace your position on the team, although I doubt anyone could live up to your potential.”

I laughed. “Don’t be so sure. Someone might surprise you.”

He chuckled. “Well … I’ll be seeing you around, kid.”

I nodded my head. “Later, Ramey.” I saluted him for no reason other than to get a laugh before turning and making my way out of the dugout.

I decided on taking the shortcut to the student parking lot, but immediately regretted my decision. I had to walk uphill and it was hell on my already sore legs. When I finally reached the top, I huffed out a few breaths before walking to my car. I grabbed my keys from my messenger bag, whistling to myself before looking up. My whistling came to a stop as I saw a lanky body leaning against my car, with its eyes looking straight at me.

I arched my brows. “What do you want?”

“Nice shirt,” he commented.

I looked down at the black tee shirt with 'Never Have I Felt So Alive' written on the front in white and grey letters, smiling. “I thought it fit the way I feel today pretty good.”

He laughed and shook his head. “So … Would you mind giving an old friend a ride to his house, being that he missed his bus?”

I rolled my eyes, unlocking the door. “Get in, butthead.”

“Thanks, Soph. You’re a doll.”

I took a seat and started the ignition, as John got in on the passenger side, buckling himself in. “How does it feel to be a single man, again?” I asked him once we were out of the lot, grabbing a cigarette.

He shrugged. “I’m not really sure.”

I laughed. “You didn’t flirt with any hot chicks today?” I looked at him and wriggled my brows, making him erupt with laughter.

“Please don’t ever say hot chicks again, Sophie,” he requested.

I nodded my head, exhaling a breath of smoke out of the window. “You got it, dude.”

He shook his head at my words. “Anyways, we need to make a stop by Nick’s before going to my house.”

“And why’s that?”

“I don’t know. He called me and just said he needed us to stop by.” I didn’t say anything, but made a left, heading in the direction of Nick’s grandparent’s house.

The drive was short, and soon enough, we were pulling into the driveway. John was the first to get out, and I followed soon after, letting a yawn escape my mouth. He knocked on the door and I picked a red string that had been on the back of his white shirt. He gave me a look and I shrugged.

“It was bugging me.”

“Yeah, well you’re face is bugging me … Can I pick that, too?”

“Shut up,” I laughed as the door opened.

“My two best friends!”

I gasped and looked to see Eric standing in the doorway. I threw my arms around him and swung us side to side, smiling like an idiot. “When did you get here?!”

“This … after ... noon … can’t … breathe!”

“Oh!” I pulled my arms from him, as he rubbed his neck, going to greet John. “Justin!” I called out.

“That’s my name, don’t wear it out!”

I turned to my left, seeing him coming from the kitchen. I squealed and ran to him, hugging him much like I had Eric. “I missed you!”

“I missed you, too,” he laughed.

I let him go, still smiling. “How did you guys get here?”

“By an airplane. Duh,” Eric stated, rolling his green eyes.

I slapped his shoulder “I know that, idiot. I mean, how did you guys get to Nick’s?”

“Your loverboy picked us up from the airport,” Justin informed me.

“Speaking of, where’s he at?”

“He’s getting us some food, like a good hoe should,” Eric said.

“Oh my God …” John sighed, shaking his head.

I laughed and wrapped my left arm around Eric, and my right around Justin. “I’ve missed my boys.”

“Yeah, yeah, we’ve missed you, too,” Justin replied.

“And now me and my lova can finally be together,” Eric joked, looking at John, who immediately grinned and batted his eyelashes.

“Totally,” he said in a rather high voice, making us all laugh.

“You are all idiots,” I declared before the front door open.

“Will one of you make yourself useful and grab this bag for me? I’m about to drop it,” Nick stated, coming through the door.

“I’ll help you, babe.” I walked over and took two In – N – Out bags from him, placing a kiss on his cheek.

“Thanks, gorgeous,” he said, placing one remaining bag and tray of cups on the table. “Look for what’s yours.”

I watched as John, Eric and Justin immediately attacked the bags of food before shaking my head. Nick wrapped his arms around my waist and I smiled. “Thanks for surprising me with Justin and Eric.”

He laughed and placed a kiss on my forehead. “Well, they were coming one way or another, but I knew it’d make you happy to see them. And after the weekend you’ve had … I figured it’d be good.”

“It was more than good. It was amazing,” I told him.

“Well then I’m glad,” he said, giving me a peck on the lips.

And, like every other time before, out of the corner of my eye, I could see the look of jealousy emitting from John’s eyes as he chewed uninterestedly on a piece of his burger. I could tell I wasn’t the only one who noticed.
♠ ♠ ♠
- Sophia

I'm back! Who missed me? Hahaa. I'm so, so, sooooo sorry that it's taken me forever to update this! Since my summer started, I was supposed to move, but then ended up staying in the same house. My best friend from Michigan came to visit me for two weeks and I wanted to spend as much time with her as I could. And now, I'm in Michigan visiting my brother and sister-in-law and some friends. Whew! So, just in case you were wondering, no, this story isn't on hiatus or inactive. It's just taken me awhile to update, but I promise, updates will start becoming regular again shortly! I love each and every one of you for not unsubscribing and being patient with me! :D