Green Day, Why Am I In Your Room?

Homecoming

Tash's POV

As we headed out into the pouring rain, I felt something in the back of my mind click.

"Tash?" Tre asked when he saw me stop dead.

"Tre, I have to go home. I have to quit my job, and...get my stuff if I'm staying..." The last part I said really quietly. I had no idea if I would live in the states for the rest of my life.

"Well, I'm getting a ticket too." He said it so simply. As if it was normal to suddenly buy a plane ticket to Australia just out of impulse. "But first, I must close my car. Otherwise by the time we get back there'll be mould living in there."

I smiled. Tre quickly parked his car, locked it and came inside.

"Um, Tre? Don't you need clothes?"

"Nah. I'll just borrow your stuff."

I laughed as we went back inside. Tre bought his ticket - and we waited, freezing cold, for our plane to finally arrive.

As I sat down in my comfy seat, I couldn't help but feel a sense of deja vu.

Tre was evidently thinking along the same lines.

"Now look at this - both boarding a plane, both soaking wet ... hmm. Sounds familiar." Tre put on a thoughtful face.

I smiled. Going back home to pack up 30 years of my life wasn't going to be fun. Or easy.

--

I felt the jet hit the tarmac, waking me from my deep sleep. Tre was still awake. He nudge me before getting up and leading the way outside.

It was a shock walking into the boiling hot temperatures after having been soaking wet back in California.

"OK, so you don't get a limo, but hey, we get a taxi!" I hailed a taxi before climbing in.

"Aw, no mini bar! This sucks." Tre crossed his arms in mock tantrum.

All too soon we arrived at my place. The lawn was overgrown, the curtains closed - it looked as though it hadn't been lived in for a long time.

I unlocked the front door and slowly stepped inside. The last time I had been inside...I was hungover after drinking my sorrows away because of Matt. I looked around my familiar home. Everything was just as I had left it. I felt tears prick at the back of my eyes. I was leaving all of this behind.

Tre put his arm around me. " 'S'okay Tash." He held me close, making me feel for the billionth time as though I was protected from any harm.

"I know." I forced myself to strengthen up. "Come on - I must get stuff from my room."

And so we headed back to my room. Where Green Day had so strangely turned up. I gasped when I looked at the Rolling Stone poster. I don't know what I had been expecting - but the three members were back in their poster. Just as they used to be.

"You're back," I said softly, gesturing to the poster.

"Yeah...man, I look so hot." Tre ran a hand through his hair. "I bet you made out with that poster."

"If you mean Billie then..." I grinned. It was fun to joke around with him again.

"Hey! So, what do you have to do?"

"I think maybe I should just quit my job. That would be an easy place to start."

It was pretty easy. I called the vet practice, and said that I had family drama. They understood, and said that 'they hoped I would be back soon'.

Fat chance.