Status: Off Hiatus ^^

New Beginnings

Bedlam

The weekend was a rush as people learned about the signing. Payton could have sworn she had seen a reporter outside of her shop with a camera. The books they had gotten from the company sold within two days and they were waiting for another load later on in the day. One of the publicists of the team had organized a last minute meeting with her around closing to make sure everything was going on schedule and the whole situation had the three women ragged.

They still were struggling on the decoration side of things and Nate was almost making herself sick with worry. Payton was stunned at the amount of focus and energy the girl had put into the signing. She had even hired Nate’s girlfriend Sarah, to help with the rush during the week and was contemplating putting her onto the books for a more permanent position. Nate and Sarah worked well together, not letting their relationship get into the way of the work that needed to be done.

Polishing the banister on the stairs, Payton’s attention was grabbed when the door jingled open. Bryce walked in with the two men she had met and were immediately swamped by the customers wanting autographs and pictures with the players. Nate stood at the cash register in shock for a moment before spurring into action and led the men into the staff room before ushering the customers out and temporarily closing the store.

Glancing up at Payton, Nate gave a shrug. “I figured that you wouldn’t want the store destroyed by fans,” she laughed with a blush. Payton smiled and stood up, brushing her hands on her jeans and straightened her black tee shirt as Bryce came back out into the store with Patrick and Jonathan. Nate and Sarah stared at them for a moment before Nate spoke again. “Anything you want me to do Payton?”

“Yeah, can you finish these banisters and then start moving some of the books around? Just have their spines on display on the shelves and move the other lot near the staff room doorway for a while.” Nate nodded and darted past Bryce to climb the stairs.

“Hey Pay,” Bryce called up to her. “Love what you’ve done with the store.” She let out a smile and walked down the stairs.

“Thanks, we just need to try and get the company who has the Blackhawks banners and things to negotiate on a lower price then we’ll be set,” she shrugged and smiled. “Didn’t expect you back here so soon,” she turned her attention to the players. “Did he drag you here under pain of not doing his job?” Payton teased.

Patrick and Jonathan smiled. “Nice to see you again, Payton,” Patrick replied. “Love the store; Jonathan said it was something you had to see for yourself and I’m glad I came along.”

“Yeah, well, it should be very team supportive by the time you guys get here on Thursday for the book signing.”

“No way, that’s here?” Bryce laughed. “What a coincidence.” Payton turned her attention to her brother, an eyebrow raised.

“I only found out about this on Wednesday, if I find out that out that you had anything to do with this, I’m going to make sure that you pay, dearly,” Payton threatened playfully.

“Yeah, what are you going to do, pip squeak?” Bryce goaded happily, slipping his hands into his jeans pockets.

“Make you pay for those darned decorations,” she retorted then turned back to the other men.

“Would you guys like a coffee or something to eat? Lucy, who runs the café side of the business, makes the most heavenly snacks,” she offered courteously.

Jonathan offered her one of his more charming smiles. “Sure, can’t say no to sweet things.” Payton blushed, not quite sure if he was flirting or not. Patrick laughed and nodded.

“Could use a drink,” he accepted, his Canadian accent making his words smooth. She smiled and turned around. “Follow me,” she instructed and walked up the stairs followed by the three men.

Lucy, spotting Bryce coming up to the landing, let out a delighted cry and rushed out from behind her counter to give him a large hug. “Oh, my young Bryce, look at you, you’ve shot up so high!” she gushed happily, guiding them to one of her larger tables. “You’ve been taking care of yourself like a good boy?”

“Yeah, Luce,” Bryce reassured her, “My girlfriend makes sure I eat right and take care of myself.”

“You’ve got a girlfriend?” Payton asked, sitting next to Jonathan. Lucy let out a happy noise and sat down as well.

“Uh, yeah,” he blushed, “we’ve been together for about a year, year and a half, you’d like her, she’s spunky and adorable.”

“What’s her name?” Lucy asked.

“Ellie Franks,” Bryce replied, snagging a menu. “Do you still sell those spinach rolls I love, Luce?”

“I’ll make them just for you, honey,” Lucy replied. “Now what can I get you boys?” she asked, turning her attention to Bryce’s friends. “You boys look like you need a good feed.” Payton smiled as she saw them both smile and ordered their lunch. “Do you want your usual, Payton?” Lucy questioned as she stood up.

“That would be great, thanks Lucy, I’ll get the drinks,” Payton offered and looked at her brother expectantly.

“I’ll have a coke, thanks sis,” he smiled at her.

“Just a coffee for me, thanks,” Patrick spoke up.

Payton nodded and looked over to Jonathan. “What would you like?”

“Can I grab a milkshake?” he asked quietly, watching her movements.

“Sure, what flavor?” Payton asked, pulling down her shirt that had ridden up when she had sat down.

“Chocolate would be great, thanks.”

“No problem, be right up.”

Bryce grinned at Jonathan and Patrick. “You’ve never had a milkshake until you’ve tried Payton’s. She makes it with white, milk and dark chocolate, plus with ice cream and marshmallows.”

“Sounds rich,” Patrick replied, his eyes watching the two women in the open kitchen. “How’s her coffee making skills?”

“Better than her cooking skills,” Bryce replied quickly, “unless she’s finally started taking lessons.” Jonathan smiled as the two laughed.

“I wouldn’t have thought that getting banners and things would be expensive around here,” he said quietly, fiddling with the sugar packets in the middle of the table. “Don’t the Hawks supply that kind of stuff during public events?”

“Usually,” Patrick replied, “but the other store took them and didn’t return them. I think they’re afraid to do that here.”

“That’s not fair,” Jonathan frowned. “Couldn’t we say something? Get them to help out? It’s not a big store.”

“No harm in asking,” Patrick shrugged.
♠ ♠ ♠
So apparently our spunky young captain does have a scar...........here's the next chapter that I promised xoxomusic363 and I hope to read more comments from you guys! :-)