Status: Off Hiatus ^^

New Beginnings

Reporters...

Payton brought over their drinks on a tray, a black apron tied around her waist. Lucy followed with the food, setting them down on the table before pinching Bryce’s cheeks. Letting out a laugh, Payton sat down next to Jonathan again; intensely aware of how close their thighs were to each other.

Jonathan, reaching for his drink, gave her a smile, sending her into a blush again. She cleared her throat lightly and turned to him. “How did you meet my brother?”

“Our old trainer got into a car accident and we had to borrow the other team’s guy during a game with Columbus, and we just got talking while he was taping me up and bam, insta-friend,” Jonathan replied. “You ever been to a hockey game?” he asked in return, nudging his shoulder against hers.

“Apart from Bryce’s occasional high school game, no, and even then I was only a support to him, I don’t really understand the game that well.”

Jonathan hummed for a moment. “Well, if you hang out with us long enough, you’re bound to pick something up. I’m sure Bryce can wrangle you up a decent ticket.”

Bryce laughed awkwardly. “Uh, I gave my quota to Sarah and her brother; I’m not allowed any more than that.” He gave his sister an apologetic glance.

“Its fine, Bryce,” Payton replied calmly, “I can pay for my own ticket.”

“And I’ll make sure that she goes,” Nate said happily, walking up from the stairs with the rag in her hand. “The banister’s polished and there is an insistent reporter banging on the door.” Patrick and Jonathan winced a little.

“Did you tell him we’re closed?” Payton asked, getting up off her chair.

“Yeah, but he’s not taking no for an answer,” Nate shrugged. “He scared the hell out of Sarah though when he came around back while she was moving some of the boxes of books.”

Sighing and pinching her nose, Payton gave her brother a rueful look. That was the last thing she needed, reporters who didn’t understand the idea of privacy and personal space. Silently, and only half meaning it, she cursed the Chicago team for bringing the complications of their lives to her store. “I’ll sort this guy out,” she said, wandering to the stairs, “Enjoy your lunch, I won’t be long.” Nate followed her quickly, shadowing her steps.

Patrick looked at Bryce. “She’s going to be eaten alive, should we do something?”

Bryce shook his head. “Nah, she can handle it. Back in high school, she managed to guilt the teachers out of canceling the prom because the hockey team trashed the crappy decorations the teachers put up; made her an intimidating class president. The cheerleaders shook her up a little though.”Jonathan gave his trainer a disbelieving glance. “Alright, if she needs help, we’ll jump in. But not before that, she’s a bit iffy when it comes to her independence, or at least she was.”

“Still is,” Lucy piped up. “You should have heard the argument between her and her parents when it came to how the store was managed. They haven’t poked their noses in since, said the shop had become too commercial.”

“I like it,” Patrick replied, “Its quaint.”

“Mom and Dad would love it,” Jonathan added, shifting in his chair as he reached for his drink. “Especially how you have the café up here, not many places have it.”

“Hannah always had a coffee and cake when she read, same with most of her friends. Every time she went into a book store that she liked, she always got irritated when they didn’t have a place for her to park it and read. She always liked being surrounded by books, just like Payton does.” Lucy stated.

“Still hides in the rows with her Narnia Chronicles when she’s upset?” Bryce asked, resting his elbows on the table as he took a bite of his lunch.

“Elbows off the table, boy,” Lucy scolded with a smile and laughed at his quick response. “Occasionally, but now she’s been reading Janet Evanovich. The books get her smiling a laughing again, especially after a talk with Dean.”

“Does she still run?”

“Not during winter, she usually goes to the heated pool and swims.” Lucy replied, tying her long black hair into a loose knot at the base of her neck.

“I bet her hair still turns into a frizball when she’s done though,” snickered Bryce. “Hey Luce,” he began after a moment. “How would she react if I sent some of the banners over?”

“If she knew it was you?” Lucy smiled, “Badly, if it was anonymous, not so badly. She knows she needs the help though.”

“Usually we pay for it to come up, but apparently the other store burned us pretty badly before we found this place. The guys don’t want to risk it,” Patrick volunteered. “But I’ll pitch in and help out.”

“Me too,” Jonathan said as well.

**

Payton walked down the stairs with her shoulders squared for battle. The whole situation was starting to make her more than a little irritated. Sure it was bringing in more business, but the stress was a little more than she could handle, and she couldn’t afford to go to the local heated pool until the next week. She had to sacrifice some of her own pay to make sure they could afford at least some of the help and hired items they needed to make the whole run smoothly. And she wasn’t the only one sacrificing pay, both Lucy and Nate were pitching in to help as well. They had already gone over budget and the costs were still mounting up past what they could afford. Lucy was a dream though, making sure they had something to eat. Payton was glad that she had the policy that the three ate free at the store.

On top of all the stress they were all going though, the reporter had to show up, just when she was about to have some quality time with her brother. That was what irked her the most. It had been years since they had a chance to catch up and for the second time in as many meetings, they had their time stolen by arrogant, irritating men who didn’t know how to compromise.

On the other side of the door was a small man with a camera, a bad comb over hardly disguising a severely receding hair line. His eyes brightened when he saw her approaching, crowding the door as much as he could. Rolling her eyes, Payton unlocked the door and opened it up a few inches.

“We’re closed at the moment, sorry, you’ll have to come back in an hour,” she said shortly.

“I won’t be long,” he tossed back, his body almost vibrating with how excited he was. “I just want to talk to the Captain of the Blackhawks.”

“I’m sorry, but we’re in the middle of a meeting, you’ll have to come back later,” Payton replied. “And don’t bother trying to go around back that side’s locked as well.”

“I just want to—“

“I don’t care,” Payton said, her eyes lightening in anger to the color of blue ice. “You’ve harassed my employees enough and if you don’t go away, I’m going to call the cops. I have a business to run and you’re interfering.”

“I just—“ She slammed the door in his face and drew the blinds. “Get the phone Nate and call the cops. I don’t want to see him again anytime soon.” Letting out an irritated sound, she watched Nate go into the staff room. “Fucking reporters,” she swore lightly before heading back up the stairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a filler for this chapter, next one should be up in a few hours...To those lovely people who commented, you guys rock Potato Chip...that's right, you know who you are LOL. ...... Idle question....what is the worst pop song film clip that you can remember? I'll post the next chapter when the comments reach 10. Only four more to go!