Status: Rewritten, let me know what you think!!

A Library Romance

Chapter Nineteen

*Adlar’s P.O.V.*

I walk through the oppressing doors of my house at around 9:30 that night. I close the door as quietly as I can, hoping that by some luck, the family will be done with their night cap. I shrug off my coat, hanging it in the closet, and leave my shoes by the side of the door. I tip toe towards the grand staircase opposite from me.

A throat clears, “And where have you been?”

I groan loudly, turning to see Father, Mother, Caden, and Jenna sitting around the fireplace, each holding a glass of brandy.

“I ate dinner at a friends house,” I say politely, knowing that if I don’t I’ll get a beating.

Jenna chuckles, “You don’t have any friends.”

“You were with the fairy, weren’t you?” Caden says angrily.

“I don’t like you seeing that boy, Adlar,” Father says, taking a sip of his brandy.

“And I don’t really care what your opinion is of him. He’s a really nice guy. He’s not superficial like some people.”

“What did you say to me?” Father says angrily, getting up from his seat quickly.

“Don’t you fucking come near me,” I warn him, anger beginning to run through my veins.

“You’re my son, you will obey me,” he says gruffly, rushing towards me.

“Don’t touch me,” I warn him again.

“You’ve got nothing without me,” he yells, grabbing my arm.

Suddenly, I can’t help myself. I lift my arm and deck my father right in the face.

“I’m not fucking scared of you anymore. I can fight too, Jackass. I am 19 years old; you have no say in what I do, or who I see.”

-----

The rest of the weekend I stayed in my room. I was thankful I’d been nice to the cook throughout the years because she made sure I had meals even though my father told her if he found out I was being fed she would be fired. All weekend long I’d been trying to figure out how I could possibly get away from my family. I don’t have enough money to be able to live on my own. And I have no one else that I would even think about asking for help.

The only family members I would go to would be my gay uncle but he lives in British Columbia. I don’t think I’d be able to leave Nico now, not knowing what might happen between us. I wish I could ask my grandfather for help, but he lives in a home. All I can hope for is that a miracle happens soon.

-----

The next morning I wake up, figuring I might as well go downstairs, and get the awkward family gathering over with. I take a long shower first, having not done so since Saturday morning. I then dress in a simple white button-down and blue jeans. I grudgingly make my way downstairs and in to the dining room, taking my seat next to Edwyn. Jenna and Caden are across from me. Jenna might as well move in for all the time she spends here. Wouldn’t that just be a cherry on top of the fucking sundae. Although I can’t help but feel a slight bit of satisfaction at the sight of my father with a black eye.

“How nice of you to join us,” Father mumbles.

I don’t say a word. He’s not worth the energy. One of the servants brings a plate for me of french toast with maple syrup and strawberries. Breakfast starts off quiet; until Father, of course, begins asking everyone about their day; the usual nonsense. Then something said catches my attention.

Father clears his throat, “So, Jenna, when do you plan on moving your things in?”

I choke on my food.

They ignore and continue with their conversation.

“Oh, probably within the next couple of days. After Caden and I are done school, we’ll start packing up my stuff at my parents’ house, and then move it here,” Jenna says giddily, clapping her hands excitedly.

Oh, God, my worst nightmare has come true.

Jenna glances over at me and smirks wickedly.

I push my plate away, my appetite suddenly lost. Just as I’m getting off my chair, Father clears his throat once more.

“Oh, by the way, Adlar, your grandfather passed away last night,” he says nonchalantly, wiping his mouth on his napkin.

“What?” I yell. This can’t be happening. This day and my life can’t be getting worse. It’s not possible.

“He had a heart attack last night, in his sleep,” he confirmed.

I can’t stay in that house a second longer. I grab my coat and slip in to my shoes and run out the door. I can’t believe he died last night. And they don’t even care! It’s not right. I can’t understand how some people could be so completely selfish. That’s my mother’s father, and she doesn’t even care that he’s dead. My grandpa was one of the greatest people I knew.

I stayed outside until the house emptied. Thank goodness it was a mild winter this year. I can’t face them right now. When the last car leaves I head back to the house. Our cook, Sofia, is waiting for me with a sad smile on her face and a giant piece of chocolate cake in her hand.

Because of that little show of affection, I burst in to tears. I slump in to one of the dining chairs, place my head on my arms, and cry for hours.

-----

I couldn’t even bring myself to go to work either. But instead of phoning Nico, which I would have normally done, I called Bill. At the time that I called, I thought I might do something or say something that I would regret later when it came to Nico. But as the time came closer to four o’clock, and the time that everyone would be returning home came closer, I couldn’t think of anything other than being with him. If anyone can make me feel better, it’s Nico.

-----

*The next day*

I’m still extremely embarrassed about this morning. I can’t believe I practically groped Nico in my sleep. I kind of wish it hadn’t had to end, though. What I did get a chance to feel was amazing. Lucky for me, the house was empty by the time I got back. Hopefully they didn’t notice I was gone.

I also can’t wait to call Nico tonight. It’s not that I find the book extremely interesting, or reading is now suddenly my favourite past time, but I love hearing the sound of his voice. He could read me excerpts from a chemistry text book and I would still listen to him.

I stayed in my room all day, listening to music, and trying to read about DaVinci until I was called down for dinner. I was surprised that I was actually called down. I figured they’d ignore me like they usually do. That must mean something’s up.

I slowly make my way down the stairs. Once again, I take my seat next to Edwyn, across from Caden and Jenna. For some reason Father seems angrier than usual about something. He does the usual questioning for a few minutes.

“So, Adlar, how was your day?” he asks in a sickeningly sweet voice, a sadistic smirk on his face.

“Fuck off,” I spit, “You disgust me. How could you not tell me about grandpa as soon as you found out?”

“We did, Honey,” my mother tries to act like a comforting mother.

“Bull shit,” I get a little angrier, “Don’t you dare try to act all innocent and perfect. That was your own dad. And you don’t even give a shit.”

“Now, now, Adlar, there is no need to take your anger out on your mother. She has done nothing wrong. We were about to tell you that this Saturday, we are having a family gathering in his honor.”

I take a deep breath, I’m so angry that I’ve become calm, “Don’t even pretend that the gathering is for grandpa. You just had the living room, and the dining room done, you’re only having the gathering so that you can show it off. You people disgust me.”

I head out the door, walking around the yard for a bit. I need to cool down. I have to figure out a way to get out of this house. I’ll go crazy if I stay in that house for too much longer. After being outside for an hour or so I go back inside, rushing past the living room and up the stairs to my room.

I pick up my phone before I even kick off my shoes. I dial Nico’s number and wait while it rings as I strip out of my clothes. I slip under the covers of my bed as Nico’s sweet voice answers the phone.

He reads a chapter to me and then we talk for a few hours. I’ve started telling him quite a bit about my family and home life. It’s something that I really haven’t talked to anyone about. But he’s always awesome and makes me feel a lot better about my situation.

Part of me wonders what life would be like if I came out. My father would kick me out, that’s for sure. My family would shun me. But how would the town view me? Part of me wonders if they would accept me, like they’ve accepted Nico; or if I would continue to be looked upon as an ass hole, just like the rest of my family.