You're My Keeper

Your Heart Is Dead

Imari’s eyes squeezed open, trying to force herself to regain back her energy before she had fainted. The wind made a flapping noise against her ears as Imari’s blurred vision only gave her the sight of the passing lifeless trees filled with snow. She felt her arms wrapped around someone’s soft neck; landing her hands on their chest, and she could feel her body pressed against something warm that breathed softly. Her hands filched, realizing that someone was carrying her on their back. Imari’s hands and racing thoughts were soon eased by a gentle soft touch, which was brought up and was placed over her own, almost as if it was caressing her skin. Their touch was warm even if their flesh was icy cold due to the freezing weather but for some reason, Imari was able to relax and therefore, fell back asleep.

“How are you feeling, Imari-san?” asked a familiar voice. Imari’s eyes sprung open, as she raised her gaze up to face no one else but the Hokage.

“Hokage-sama? What are you doing here?” She asked alarmed, trying to sit up.

“Easy.” He commented, “I came to see how you were doing, I’m glad you’re okay…”

Imari’s eyes drifted around her, she was in a hospital, “How long have I’ve been out?”

“Why, surprising, only three days!” The Hokage responded.

“Three days!” Imari shouted back confused. The Hokage laughed. He then explained to her that he was sorry for her not being able to attend Najako’s and Yari’s funeral.

“Imari-san, I have some news for you as well,” The Hokage began, “You are the new captain to the ANBU elite team, you must be very happy”

Imari’s eyes flashed up towards him. She was happy, her body was more then overwhelmed but there was something that bothered her and even worried her.

“What about Itachi-san?”

The Hokage gave her a faint smile, “He quit.”

Imari sat silently, staring into the white walls, wondering what had happened as the Hokage went on to explain, “After your previous mission, he came back carrying you on his back. I was shocked to see you in such state; he told me that you got knocked out by a rouge ninja and feel unconscious. Lady Emi arrived on time, safe and sound but coming back to Konaha, Itachi was missing two of his best ninjas. He said he wanted to quit being captain. He told me that he would rather work alone….”

“Captain Itachi-san, did?” Imari whispered dazed by the Hokage’s talk.

“He felt anger and ashamed that he was unable to save his teammates, his subordinates that he had trained for so long and he felt bad that he was unable to prevent your damage so he said that it would be best if he would work alone. He only wishes to take care of himself from now on…”

“And because of his absences, I am granted to be Captain?” Imari questioned. The Hokage nodded.

“Even if you weren’t in the team for that long, you are by far the strongest and most ready to take the lead…I am very proud of you Kaito Imari”

“I’m sorry, Hokage-sama…” Imari pleaded as she managed to rise out of bed, “I am unable to accept…I will not be the ANBU elite’s captain!”

“Wait-!” The Hokage shouted at the dashing Kaito, “Where are you going?”

“To bring back the rightful captain!” She shouted before she left him, “To bring back Uchiha Itachi!”

Running down the busy streets of Konaha, she raced pass by the small kids playing around the academy, the market filled with mothers who were buying ingredients for lunch, and she ran past her own home that probably had her mother who would have been happy to hear the news: the only goal that she had ever desired upon Imari.

“Uchiha!” She screamed, stopping only feet away from the Uchiha compound entrance. She easily gained some stares back from within as she now took the time to catch her breath. She had amazing speed indeed, but Itachi was faster. She was stronger than any one in Konaha of her age, but Itachi was stronger. She was praised by her smart ways and the tactful instincts that she inherited but of course, Itachi was smarter and cleverer. And even though she hated to admit it, she knew that Itachi was a better ninja then she was and he deserved to be and remain captain of the most famous and best team.

“What are you doing?” asked that voice. That hypnotic tone that could make any girl’s mind go blank, it could only belong to one person.

“Itachi-san…” Imari spoke as her clear grey eyes met his cobalt ones, “What are you doing? How can you do something like leaving?”

He remained quite, his hallowed eyes burning into Imari’s crystal like ones. She waited for his respond but he said nothing.

“I’m okay,” She said in a lower tone as she watched him examine her, “I didn’t receive any injuries…I’m fine…”

“I didn’t ask you that,” Itachi quickly replied, “I asked what you were doing.”

Imari was taken aback for a second before she quickly regained herself and glared back at him, “I came to tell you that I won’t be happy if you just abandon your post! You’re our captain! I won’t accept that position unless I rightful take it from you, unless I beat you and win that as my prize but you just leaving and having me receive your leftovers is not what I want!” She complained to him. His eyes narrowed, and his cold stare made no other expression.

“That doesn’t concern me, move...” He simply replied. Imari slightly flinched, wondering what had suddenly come over Itachi, or maybe he had always been this way but she could no longer tell as he pushed past her.

“W-wait! - Itachi-san!” She stuttered as she flashed him a puzzled stare, “Why did you quit?”

Itachi didn’t turn around not even moving his head to the side to look at her while he spoke, “Because I don’t wish to become associated with those that are weak…those, such as yourself…”

Imari gulped, as a sudden sensation came over her, something that she wasn’t use to, the feeling of crying. She didn’t understand at all, neither his words nor actions or why they affected her so. And what he said next brought her even closer to the brink of tearing.

“I never wish to see you again in my life, Kaito Imari..”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Complaints ? XD