Sequel: Open Your Eyes
Status: Please comment if you like it.

Just Say Yes

He's A Better Actor Than You Think

Two days later it was the fourth of July, the couple had been about to head out the door earlier than Brian had planned because Erin insisted she wanted to help Lacey set up. However, that plan came to a screeching halt when the phone rang. The number that showed up on the call display was one they both recognized as her home phone number back in Boulder. Erin picked it up eagerly and was now speaking to Corinne animatedly and telling her all about his house, the beach and Huntington itself.

Erin paced around the living room as she spoke a mile a minute. Brian meanwhile sat silently on the couch wondering how the woman on the other end was holding up. He was aware that her new, and more aggressive treatment had begun a few days prior, he just hadn't had the time to give her a call with having to entertain Erin since she had arrived.

“Brian.” Erin broke him out of his thoughts, his eyes flickered up to her smiling face, the phone still in her hand. “She wants to talk to you.”

Brian inhaled a shaky breath, he reached out and took the phone reluctantly.

“Hello, beautiful.” Brian did his best to greet her with fake happiness, he figured Corinne understood that as well but it was blatantly obvious the blonde in front of him didn't. Erin smiled genuinely at him then told him she was going to grab herself a sweater and her purse upstairs. He nodded as Corinne greeted him back.

“Brian, how are you doing?” She asked softly, he didn't even need to see her in person to tell that she was tired. He could hear the fatigue in her voice alone.

“I'm fine, but I think the real question is how are you doing?” He rubbed the back of his neck hoping for a moderately positive answer.

He could hear her sigh softly. “I'm getting by, a little tired.” Somehow she remained calm and collected despite everything.

Brian looked over his shoulder to make sure Erin was still out of ear shot, when he saw that she was still upstairs he asked the question he'd be wondering since reading the call display.

“And the treatment?” He murmured into the phone, as a precautionary measure.

“I had my first one yesterday.” She began, her voice a little more upbeat. “A little nauseous after wards but nothing I couldn't handle.” She finished with a soft laugh. He wasn't sure whether she was being completely truthful with him or not. If she were, he knew that if she claimed that she was fine now it was only a matter of time before the treatment took its toll on her body and she wouldn't be as composed as she were now. “You don't need to worry about me.”

“Somebody has to,” He replied firmly. Even though she probably had some close confidants that lived nearby, she had told him for a reason and he wasn't going to just let her deal with what she was going through alone. “If you ever need somebody to talk to about this, you know who to call, alright?”

“I don't want to burden you...” She answered hesitantly.

“It's not a burden, don't make me come up there woman.”

She released an almost inaudible feminine laugh. “You'll be first on my list then.”

He smiled to himself, happy that she was willing to use him as her own personal sounding board so to speak. Knowing that she would talk to him about what she was experiencing made him feel a little less guilty.

“Happy fourth of July, have fun tonight.” She said sweetly.

“You too, take it easy.” She insisted that she would and hung up the phone, Brian pressed the end button and placed the phone back on the charger. He stood up from the couch just as Erin made her way back downstairs.

“Have a good chat?” She smiled brightly, slipping her purse over shoulder. He nodded, returning the smile. He grabbed his keys from the small table by the front door.

“Let's go.” He told her as his left hand rested on the small of her back, leading her out the front door.

Not even ten minutes later they had arrived at Johnny's house and stole the last spot in the driveway behind Jimmy's car. He laughed at the fact that Matt was running late and would have to park a significant distance down the street. When they made it to the door she was about to knock but Brian instead opened the door and walked inside. He held it open for her and she too walked inside.

As soon as she walked inside her nose was welcomed with the sweet aroma of something grilling on the barbeque, her mouth began to water. She felt Brian's hand slip into hers and he lead her through the house, which wasn't quite as nice as Brian's but it beat his in regards to the size. Brian led her through the kitchen where they found Lacey mixing a salad.

“Hey guys!” She dropped the utensils in her hands and rushed over to the couple. She excitedly embraced the couple in a suffocating hug.

Brian chuckled. “Nice to see you too Lace.” When she released them he sauntered over to the fridge to get himself a beer, he offered one to Erin but she politely declined.

“You two go outside, I'll be out in two minutes.”

Brian and Erin proceeded through the kitchen and living room to the backyard which consisted of a stone patio with a large table and full yard of green grass. She spotted Lisa and Zack chatting with Johnny by the grill, and Ben was playing what looked to be some version of freeze tag with the Berry brothers, Jimmy and a tiny girl with long light brown hair.

“Blondie!” Jimmy yelled from across the yard, he ran over quickly with a beer bottle in one hand and the tiny girl attached to his other. He stopped short of Brian and Erin, the girl that had her hand intertwined with his laughed loudly and crashed into his back. She punched him lightly in the side, before turning her gaze to Erin, her smile was almost blinding. Jimmy wrapped his arms around both Brian and Erin, making Erin wonder if everyone normally hugged like this.

“Hey, Jimmy.” Erin pat his back softly, then pulled away. Jimmy looked over to the girl at his side, pulling her closer.

“Erin this is Leana.” Erin was about to wave but Leana sprung forward pulling Erin into a tight hug.

“It's so good to finally meet you! I feel like Jimmy and Brian have been talking about you forever!” She exclaimed bringing Erin over to the table to sit down with her, ignoring the guys completely. Brian and Jimmy took that as their cue to leave and let the girls get to know one another.

As Leana continued to speak, Erin began to understand what Brian meant when he had given her some background on Leana and Val. He had said that Leana was basically the smaller, female version of Jimmy. Erin agreed completely, Leana was was definitely one of a kind, for someone so small she was full of more energy than anyone Erin had known. Lacey eventually made her way outside and brought three empty wine glasses with a large bottle of wine.

“So how are you liking California?” Leana asked, the whole conversation there was an enthusiastic smile imprinted on her lips.

“I love it. It's gorgeous.” Leana clapped her hands energetically. Lacey handed them both a glass of wine then poured herself one.

“We definitely should hang out, I can take you shopping.” Leana's eyes widened at the idea.

“We could even go to LA for the day.” Lacey said, taking a sip of her wine. “That is if I'm invited.”

Leana laughed putting an arm around the brunette. “Of course you are. Lisa too!”

Erin agreed happily, Leana then began naming off all of her favorite stores with a dreamy look in her eye as Lacey laughed at her. Erin took the moment to cast her eyes away from Leana to the corner of the yard where Brian stood with the guys and Lisa.

He was laughing at something Johnny had said, as his laughter died down he looked away and his eyes locked with hers. His lips formed into that all too familiar smirk, and she tried to fight the smile that crept onto hers but failed miserably.

“Matt! Val! So glad you guys could make it.” Lacey's voice broke her staring contest with Brian, she turned her head to look at the doorway.

She saw Matt, with his usual aviators but instead of covering his eyes they were perched on top of his head. He held the hand of a woman with shoulder length dark chestnut brown hair and striking brown eyes. She was gorgeous.

Lacey hugged them both separately. Erin heard someone call Matt's name and he excused himself and Val followed close behind. Erin turned her attention back to Leana who had been about to speak but stopped herself. Erin watched as her brow furrowed and the once bright smile faded, her lips pursed into a tight line. Leana's eyes were set on something behind her, curious as to what Leana was so distracted by Erin glanced over her shoulder.

In the doorway stood a thin blonde, she adorned the same striking brown eyes and facial features as Matt's fiance. Then it clicked, she was Brian's ex.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Shadows!”

Brian turned his head to see Matt and Val hand in hand walking towards the Berry's. It was when his eyes drifted back in Erin's direction that Brian saw someone he wasn't expecting to see. His jaw immediately clenched, and it took everything in him not to storm over and ask her what she was doing there. Especially when he noticed Michelle's cold stare set on Erin.

Instead of causing a scene, Brian stomped over to Matt. He grabbed the lead singer by his shoulder, a little rougher than he intended to. Matt looked slightly annoyed at first but when he saw it was Brian the expression dissipated.

“What the fuck man.” Brian tilted his head towards Michelle, not wanting to say her name and have Val get angry with him. He had enough to deal with at the moment.

Matt brought Brian over to the side, away from everyone else. “Dude I couldn't do anything. Her and Val were hanging out all day and next thing I know Michelle invites herself along.” Matt answered with a shrug before rejoining his fiance.

Brian rubbed the back of his neck and sighed. “This should be interesting.” He muttered to himself.

Luckily not too soon after Michelle had made her sudden appearance, dinner was ready and they all sat down to eat. Brian made sure that of the two tables available, him and Erin weren't at the same table as his ex. Through out the whole evening, he kept himself close to Erin, he feared if he left her alone Michelle would swoop in and make some snide comment. He had known Michelle for years and was fully aware of how manipulative and conniving she could really be.

Needless to say, that when Matt proposed a game of touch football in honor of fourth of July, Brian was slightly nervous to say yes. However, he figured that since she was sitting with Lisa, Leana and Lacey that she'd be safe for the time being.

Erin watched the boys gather together, Matt and Jimmy being the assigned captains, and do a schoolyard pick. Jimmy picked Brian and they did some sort of strange handshake, she laughed softly to herself before turning back to the group of women around her. She made eye contact with Michelle immediately, not intentionally, it had been due to the fact that Brian's ex had chosen the seat right across from Erin and had been glowering at her since they sat down.

“So Lisa, how did you and Zacky meet?” Leana inquired, sipping her wine quickly. All eyes, including Michelle, shifted to Lisa momentarily.

“We met when you guys were up in Las Vegas for Matt's and Val's engagement party.” Lisa explained, and adjusted her son, who was sitting on her lap. Her arms wrapped protectively around his waist as he leaned his body into her chest.

“You know, that makes sense.” Lacey began, laughing lightly. “I wondered where he was the entire time.”

“Yeah, well Erin met Brian first. He stopped by the diner we work at one night after a rough night. Then we met through them.” Lisa rambled, all the while smiling as she rehashed her and Zacky's first meeting. The rest of the women listened intently, all minus two.

Erin, however, felt a surge of dread wash over her as she realized that Lisa had no idea who Michelle was or her history with Brian. She was also fairly certain that Michelle, after finding out herself and Brian met while him and Michelle were still, in her mind together, would piss her off. It scared Erin because she wasn't sure what Michelle was capable of.

Erin peeked out the corner of her eye to catch Michelle's eyes darken slightly. The blonde pursed her lips and sat back into her chair, as if she were contemplating what to do with this new piece of information.

“Then Brian and Zack spent the night in jail...”

Erin stood up from her chair and excused herself to use the bathroom. She hadn't needed to ask for directions since she remembered passing it when she and Brian arrived. When she was finished she opened the door to find Michelle leaning against the wall beside the door.

“Are you waiting for the bathroom?” Erin asked, moving out of the way in case she needed to get inside. Michelle shook her head, she had her arms crossed over her chest.

“So do you normally fuck around with guys that are taken?” The blonde accused, speaking to Erin for the first time that night. Her brown eyes glaring darkly at Erin.

Erin had to keep her jaw from hitting the floor at that accusation, she was the last person who would do that. After everything she had been through with David and her former best friend, she knew the pain that came with cheating. Erin found it probable that Michelle wouldn't believe her regardless of what answer she gave. Michelle sighed heavily, her arms fell from their position on her chest.

“You know you're just temporary right?” Michelle's eyes narrowed, “We've broken up before and gotten back together.”

“Michelle, we didn't do anything when you were together. All I did was find his cellphone and gave it back to him.” Erin replied, standing awkwardly in the hallway, desperately wanting to run away from her current situation.

“Somehow I don't believe that.” She laughed bitterly. “Now if you told me you slept with him, I'd believe that. It's what he does.”

“What do you mean?”

“We break up for a bit, he finds someone else to fuck around with until he misses me and comes running back.” Even though Michelle put up an angry and tough demeanor, Erin saw a glimpse of hurt behind it, but as soon as it appeared it was gone. “It's like clock work, going on five years now.”

Erin's brow furrowed, it didn't make sense to her whatsoever. If sleeping with her had been Brian's goal all along, then why were they going on three months knowing each other and hadn't even gotten to that stage yet. They had made out a few times but she didn't even sleep in Brian's bed with him. He had her set up in a guest bedroom across the hall.

“You're kidding yourself if you think he's serious about you. He's a better actor than you think.”

She knew Michelle's true intention was nothing more than intimidation, but she would be lying if she said it hadn't made her question things, if even a little. They had only been exclusive for a few weeks, and it was only her first week in California.

“Michelle you find that bottle of wine?” Leana asked rhetorically, appearing in the hallway, arms crossed over her chest and an annoyed tone in her usually friendly voice.

Michelle pursed her lips together, and faked a smile at the smaller girl. Leana glared as Michelle brushed past her. A smile returned to her face as soon as Michelle was out of sight.

“You okay?” Leana tilted her head at the blonde who looked to be in deep thought.

“Yeah, perfectly fine.” Erin faked a smile, Leana took it for a genuine one and grabbed Erin by the hand, leading her back outside.

All the while Michelle's words echoing in her mind over and over.

He's a better actor than you think.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I hope this chapter is better than the last. I don't know how but I gained subscribers last chapter, welcome to all you new ones! The comments from last chapter really encouraged me so thank you all. Thanks to everyone who also reads and subscribes. : D

I have another fic I just posted the other night, apparently not many people have seen it so I'm gonna post it here, it's a Matt fic this time and it's called Give Into Me, let me know if it's decent? Please and thanks.