Status: complete.

Love Was Easy When We Didn't Make It So Hard

the waiting game

I laid flat on my back in the bathroom of mine and Eric's bathroom in Chicago, my eyes squeezed shut as my stomach tumbled about in my body. I groaned loudly as the door creaked open, Gabby whimpering in the doorway. I cracked one eye open, looking up at her crystal blue eyes and groaning as her and the ceiling spun around in a circle. I clasped my hands over my eyes as feet padded into the bathroom before a sigh was heard.

"Baby, are you okay?" Eric asked me, squatting down by my head and running his fingers over my hair. I pursed my lips against the clawing of vomit at my tongue before I launched myself up and puked into the toilet. Eric was behind me immediately, gathering my hair like he usually did on mornings like this.

These mornings were fairly common now that I was about two and a half months pregnant. We had heard the news, officially, the second day we arrived back in Minnesota. Eric and I were ecstatic about the prospect of becoming parents. A few weeks days after we went to the doctor, when we were back in Chicago, I started to experience morning sickness. I hated throwing up anytime, but now that I was forced to endure it for two hours straight every morning- I dreaded waking up when the sun shone through the windows. It was almost like clockwork. The rays would hit the bed, my eyes would open, my stomach would swirl, and I would have just enough time to run to the bathroom before puking my guts out. Poor Eric. He had to deal with me sobbing as I puked, such an attractive image for him to see daily.

I ran a hand over my face as Eric rubbed my back, letting my hair cascade down my back as I leaned my head on my arm which was poised across the toilet seat. A few tears leaked from my eyes as he pressed his lips to the back of my neck before his large hand came to massage the tense muscles. I groaned and leaned into his large fingers before moving his hand away to fall into his chest. I snuggled in, wrapping his arms around my waist and sighing.

"I think I'm done for today." I told him quietly, running my fingers over the cool band of his wedding ring. There were tiny diamonds encrusted in it- something he had thought was girly but decided he liked nonetheless.

"Are you hungry?" He murmured next to my ear, his fingers grabbing mine and entwining our hands together. Gabby came trotting up next to me, sniffing at me before walking away. I probably didn't smell good, especially my breath.

"Yes." I sighed. It was ridiculous how this morning routine would work. I would wake up, puke, and then eat like I hadn't eaten in weeks. You would think that after going through such an experience, that I wouldn't want to eat, but apparently that was not the case with baby Decker. I smiled slightly at that thought. It was still weird to think of a baby Decker in the works, but it was the kind of weird that made my heart beat faster and my skin tingle in anticipation.

"Why don't you take a shower, and I'll make you some eggs and toast." Eric suggested, his hands running up and down my arms as I nodded. He helped me to my feet, nuzzling my nose as he tugged off my t-shirt along with my shorts. I stepped out of my undergarments as well and stepped into the shower Eric turned on. "I love you, baby." Eric called to me before he slipped from the bathroom. I smiled at that, shaking my head at what an amazing husband I had. It was hard to believe that it was a year ago now that Eric had been acting so rude and cold to me. If someone would have told me that a year later we would be married and expecting our first child, I probably would have laughed.

I made my way into the kitchen a half hour later pleased to see a plate of scrambled eggs and toast set out for me. Eric was sitting at the counter, switching from looking at his phone to reading the newspaper. I took my seat next to him, grabbing the water I had with my meal and taking a long drink.

"Who are you talking to?" I asked Eric, looking over his shoulder to see him texting away on his blackberry.

"Adam. He wants to know what our plans are for the fourth." He told me, speaking of the even that was occurring in a few days over the weekend.

"Did you tell him we're coming home?" I asked, taking a bite of my eggs. Eric and I decided that since my primary doctor was going to be in Minnesota, it was important for me to go there more frequently during the season and more importantly while summer was still here and his football schedule was relatively light. I wanted my family around for this huge moment in my life. It was my first pregnancy and I needed the support of my friend and family, but most importantly my mom. She knew what I was feeling, what I needed, and what to say when I needed her guidance.

"Yeah. He then decided to invite the whole group over to your parent's house. I hope that isn't a problem?" He raised an eyebrow at me as I shook my head while chewing on a large forkful of eggs.

"You know how much my mom loves company. Plus, the more people the better." I shrugged my shoulders, shoving more eggs in my mouth. Eric went back to reading the paper since he was now used to me eating like this after the two weeks we had been back from our honeymoon. It was unattractive, but I felt like I had no control over my body. It was completely controlled by hormones and urges.

A few more bites later, Eric stood up, stretching and revealing a small slice of his tan skin from beneath his white t-shirt. I sucked my cheeks in and tried to resist the urge to tackle him to the ground and take him right there. He leaned close to me, nuzzling his nose against my cheek before pressing his lips there next.

"I've gotta go to practice. Are you going to be okay?" He murmured, stroking my cheek with the backs of his knuckles.

"I think Gabby and I will manage." I smiled at him, looping my arm around his neck and pulling his lips to mine. "I love you."

"I love you, too." He mused to me, brown eyes twinkling with adoration and love. "If you go out, bring your cellphone." He told me, walking to the door where he scooped up is bag onto his shoulder. "Actually, if you go out, call Jamie." He pointed at me as I smiled and rolled my eyes at his protectiveness. I guess that went back to a couple months ago and my attack. But now that I was pregnant with his child, his protectiveness had gone to a whole new level. He was starting to rival Jake.

After Eric left, I made my way into the living room, plopping down on the couch. I looked at Gabby who had trailed behind me, plopping down next to me. She was so big now, full grown and had the attitude to go along with it. I smiled down at her, stroking her black and white fur and wondering how she would handle the new baby. She was good with kids, but she had never been around a newborn. I sighed, making a mental note to ask the vet about ways to get her prepared.

"Do you want to go for a walk?" I asked her, watching as she popped one eye open to give me a slightly irritated look before closing both her eyes again. "Alright, I guess we will be lazy until daddy gets home." I chuckled, flipping the TV on and searching for something to watch.

I settled on Knocked Up since it was a decently funny movie and I could relate to it as of right now. Watching the characters prepare for their baby made me thing of all the things I needed to start doing. I had baby books to read, materials to buy, and changes to get ready for. I needed to get a nursery ready both in Chicago and in Minnesota as well. I sighed, looking around the one bedroom condo that had been our home for only a year. There was not enough space for the three of us to live here, not to mention a room the baby would be able to stay in. I set my hands on my stomach, looking down and sighing quietly. There was so much I had to do still, and I was almost down to six months to do it. That seemed like so much time, but I knew it really wasn't.

I spent the rest of the time, waiting for Eric and making a list of all the things that were of immediate concern. I wanted to get the topic of moving rolling so that we could move before the season started and before I was super pregnant. I jotted down some things I wanted to ask my mom when we were in Minnesota- books, clothes, supplies, I needed to buy right away and things I should wait for until the baby was home. My mom could tell me more and had much more first hand experience than a baby book.

Eric walked through the door just after 1:00, sighing and throwing his bag on the ground while Gabby jumped up and ran to him. He bent down to her level and gave her multiple kisses before calling her to join him in the living room. He looked over my shoulder at the list I was making, raising an eyebrow at some of the things but shrugging his shoulders because he didn't understand them yet.

"What is that?" He finally asked, turning the volume down on the TV.

"Just some things I need to get too before the baby is born." I shrugged. He chuckled quietly, grabbing the list from me.

"Breast pumps. Ick." He wrinkled his nose at me, glancing at my chest before into my eyes again. "Why?"

"For when we're going out and I don't want to breast feed the baby." I rolled my eyes at him and his weird look. "You're going to have to get used to seeing some gross stuff, Eric. There is nothing beautiful about pregnancy or the whole process."

"False. You're always beautiful to me. Even when your pumping your breasts." He gave me a wild grin. "I could do that for you." He suggested, lips pulling wider with his smile. "I'm good at it."

"Honey, its a different kind of pumping." I rolled my eyes again, shaking my head at him.

"Oh, we're moving?" He asked, looking down at the list and then back up at me.

"We don't have enough room for baby Decker." I informed him, not expecting him to notice. I had to be the one to think of these things and put them forth. Eric didn't know what to do and although I felt clueless, I knew I had to figure it out or we would be unprepared when the baby came. I watched his brown eyes flick around the condo before back to me.

"He or she could sleep with us." He shrugged, looking down at the list again. I pondered his words, ignoring the sentence and focusing on the genders. I bit my lip and looked over my husband's features.

"Eric, what do you want?" I murmured to him, crawling into his lap and throwing the notebook onto the vacated couch.

"You." He snapped his teeth at me before rawring. I flashed him an amused look as he began to chuckle. "That isn't what you meant?"

"No." I teased him, kissing his lips quickly and softly. "I mean, do you want a boy or a girl?" I watched his face as he pondered it, biting his lip slightly.

"A boy." He told me after a few more seconds of thinking. "I couldn't handle having to give my baby girl away at the alter." He finally explained, shaking his head up and down. I widened my eyes at him and started to laugh loudly.

"I think it is a little early to be thinking about that." I told him, looking down into his brown eyes.

"Your right. What am I thinking? No daughter of mine is getting married. She can stay single, a virgin, and have 30 cats to entertain her."

"Eric Decker, shut up. I know you would want her to be happy no matter what." I rolled my eyes at him.

"No. I want her pure." He insisted, nodding his head up and down as if that was explained everything. I gave him a look that made him sigh and wrinkle his nose. "I'm already getting heartburn just thinking about it." His mouth wrinkled as if he had a bad taste in his mouth while I climbed off of him and walked to the kitchen, opening the fridge to grab an apple. Eric followed me and got down on the kitchen floor, pressing his face into my stomach.

"Please be a boy." He pushed the fabric of my shirt up and pressing a kiss to my stomach as I shook my head.

"You'll love the baby either way." I murmured to him, setting a hand on top of his head. He sighed and looked up at me with bright eyes.

"I know." He smiled up at me before pressing his nose into my skin again. We stayed just like that while the time passed, pondering our future, and all the things that had fallen perfectly into place.
***

I smiled softly as I watched Eric and Adam wrestle around the backyard of my parents house, fighting for the football that was securely locked into Eric's hands. The boys were all playing a little touch football, but it had quickly started to turn into tackle football, while the girls laid out lazily in the sun. Kara sat next to me, pouting down at her large stomach and moving around on her chair as she tried to get comfortable.

"God, I am so ready for this baby to get out of me." She whined to me, tears brimming in her eyes due to the frustration of not being able to move very much or be comfortable. "You just wait until you are as big as a house, Riley. You'll know exactly how this feels soon." She told me, pointing a finger at me before taking a sip of her lemonade.

"I feel so out of the loop." Katie sighed quietly, the only one sitting down who wasn't pregnant or hadn't had a baby in the past few months except for my mom. Holly was pregnant with her and Jake's second child already now that Gracie was over a year old. They wanted to have their kids at fairly close ages and were already heading towards that goal. Holly was farther along than I was at about four months, but there would be two more grandkids in the family at right around the same time, not to mention Callie and Austin's new baby, Emily. Everyone was having girls, which convinced Eric that we were destined to have a boy.

"You don't want to be pregnant." Kara insisted, huffing as she watched Blake dive into the air and come down with the ball firmly in his hands. He ran to the other end of the yard, to the makeshift goal line, and let out a loud yelp. He pumped his fists in the air and then jogged over to Kara, placing a kiss on her lips.

"See what your man can do." He grinned at her as she rolled her eyes, huffing when he set his hands on her belly and started talking to the baby.

"Stop. Now she is kicking." Kara whined to him, shoving at his hands as Blake sighed quietly before looking at me.

"Don't be like this when you get to your third trimester. Let Eric lay all over your belly because all us future dad's want to do is cuddle our child." Blake told me, pointing at me and shaking his head to strengthen his point.

"I'll try to keep that in mind when I have to pee every fifteen minutes." Kara nodded her head enthusiastically at me and then began a rant about how her bladder was going to be ruined for life. I couldn't help but smile at her cynical attitude, I would be that upset too if I was in her position. I bit my lip at that, realizing that in a couple months I would be that pregnant. Suddenly, I wasn't looking forward to the third trimester, but at the same time, I was sick of the puking and feeling nauseous every day.

Kara settled down a few moments later when Blake laid down behind her and gently began rubbing her shoulders. I smiled at Eric who crouched down next to my chair, brushing my bangs back from dipping into my eyes.

"How are you feeling?" He asked me, slipping his sunglasses on top of his head so he could see me better. I smiled at the sight of his dewy brown eyes, a slight gold fringe around them as the sun bounced into the orbs.

"I feel fine." I assured him, taking a sip of my water and leaning forward to press a kiss on his lips. Eric was so incredible with this whole pregnancy thing that it made the doubts and fears I had about the whole process diminish with his touch.

"Good. Do you want to come swim with me?" He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively just as Jake came walking from the house. He looked over at Eric and lowered his eyes in a menacing stare.

"Decker, you better keep your hands above the water at all times." Jake pointed a spatula at him before moving towards the grill to throw the burgers and chicken legs on. I licked my lips at the sight just as Eric pulled me up, insisting we would get out of the lake the minute dinner was done.

Eric jumped off the dock and splashed into the water feet first while I climbed down the water and waded into his arms. He smiled sweetly at me as I wrapped my legs around his waist and enjoying the feel of the cold water on the hot and humid day. He kept his arms loosely around my hips, crackling a laugh every time Jake would shout at him hands.

"You know, I thought Jake would chill out once we got married." Eric murmured into my neck as we wadded into deeper water. I squirmed uncomfortably against him but he just tightened his arms around me as he began to tread water. "You're alright. I won't let you go." He assured me, pulling away to look into my green eyes. His smile put me at ease and I relaxed into his chest.

"I think Jake has a harder time letting go than he shows." I chuckled at Eric. "He is happy for us, but he just wishes he could have me as the sweet innocent little girl for a few more years, or maybe forever." Eric and I both laughed at that.

"He had so many years to prepare." Eric insisted, shaking his head as we both glanced at my big brother who was showing David the perfect way to grill chicken legs.

"If he really thought we would get married when we were seniors in high school, I think he would have stepped in the way." I laughed, looking at Jake who looked up at me. I rolled my eyes at him and as if he knew what I had just said, he gave me a large grin that was borderline creepy.

"You don't think he knew back then that I could make you so happy?" Eric wondered as he wadded back to the dock.

"No, I don't think anyone knew." I told him as he set me on the ladder and allowed me to climb out of the water, checking out my ass as I went.

"I knew." He grinned at me. I gave him my own smile before he grabbed my hand and we headed up the steps to the rest of the party.

Jake was handing out the burgers, arguing with David at the same time, telling him he couldn't have a burger when he made a chicken leg especially for him. I rolled my eyes and scanned the rest of the party, eyes landing on Katie and Adam who were turned towards one another and talking softly. I smiled, glad to see them still going strong despite the tough year and a half they had to go through to get to where they were now. Adam's senior year had been a tough one, especially when the Gophers failed to win even five games, not to mention go to a bowl game.

My eyes fell on Blake and Kara, eyebrows furrowing when I noticed the panic on Blake's face. Kara sat in her chair while Blake crouched in front of her, asking her things as she shook her head in a yes motion. Eric followed my gaze before we both looked at each other as Blake stood up quickly, sifting through his pockets for what I assumed was his keys. Kara suddenly gripped his wrist, her knuckles white as her eyes squeezed shut. Blake's jaw tensed from what I was assuming was the pain of his wife's fingers cutting into his skin.

"Uh oh." I murmured as Eric tilted his head to the side, still not getting it. "Kara is having contractions."

"Holy shit! She needs to go to the hospital!" Eric exclaimed. "I do not want to see it come out." He shook his head, mouth scrunched into a disgusted line.

"What are you going to do when I'm in labor?" I asked him, raising an eyebrow.

"Watch in a different room." He concluded as I slapped him in the stomach.

"Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit! Kara, what do I do!? What do you need me to do!? Baby, just tell me what you need." Blake whimpered out, his voice way past hysteria as his breathing escalated.

"I need you to calm the fuck down!" Kara snapped at him, gripping his wrist again as he whimpered again to her. I could see the panic on his face and nudged Eric forward.

"Blake, she needs to go to the hospital, which she would tell you if the contractions weren't clenching her jaw so hard." I gestured to the keys in Blake's hand. He nodded and swallowed loudly, reaching to help Kara stand up.

"Get my cover up." She pointed to the white dress that was next to her purse. "Did you put the bag in the car like I asked you too?" She asked Blake who nodded a positive response. "Good, now help me to the car." She insisted, taking his hand and letting him hoist her up. The minute she stood up, liquid started pooling on the ground and Blake's eyes got wide as Eric reached out to steady him while I grabbed Kara's arm.

"I'm gonna be sick." Blake started breathing really heavily as Eric held back a laugh before grabbing a bottle of water from Jake.

"The first time is always the worst, Blake." Jake assured him, an amused smirk on his face as Blake tried to take in deep breaths.

"Just my luck, my husband is going to pass out while I'm in labor. Come on, Blake. Grow a pair and get your shit together." She started to move and I helped her along, Eric on the other side, leading Blake towards the car as well. Eric swooped the keys from him as Blake climbed into the back with Kara.

"Blake! Calm down!" I screeched to him, slapping his knee as he leaned his head back against the seat while Eric drove to the hospital.

"I'm trying!" He shouted as Kara gripped his hand tighter. He turned to her and she could see the fear in his eyes and on his face.

"Blake, I know your scared, but I really need you to be there for me right now." Kara insisted, gripping his hand as tears shone in her eyes. Blake nodded and began coaching her like they had practiced in the birthing classes. I held on to Kara's other hand for moral support as I noticed the cars following us were my family, along with Katie and Adam. I giggled and realized that baby Haudan was going to have quite the welcoming.

When we pulled up to the hospital, Eric got out of the car and helped Blake get Kara into the wheelchair while I parked the car. It was then that I realized that I still only had my swimsuit on. I bit my lip and looked out the window where Katie was headed towards me with my cover up and my shoes.

"Thanks." I smiled at her, "I forgot them in the rush." I told her as I put them on.

"No problem. How are they?" She asked as we stepped into the hospital and began to walk our way to the waiting room the front desk told us we could sit in.

"Blake was freaking out, but Kara was able to calm him down." I chuckled, sitting down next to Eric. I smiled at the sight of all my brothers, nieces, sisters-in-law, along with my parents.

"I called Blake's and Kara's parents. They're on the way." Katie told everyone as we nodded and settled in to wait.

The grandparents arrived a few minutes later and were allowed to go back and see their kids before they came back, saying that Kara was fully dilated and ready to push. The minutes seemed to pass like hours as we all sat there, chatting and nervously bouncing up and down. I gripped Eric's hand as he calmly soothed me with kisses to my temple.

"How do you think she is doing?" I asked Eric nervously, biting my lip and keeping my eyes trained on the door. Doctors and nurses along with patients and visitors walked by, but Blake did not appear. "Maybe something is wrong."

"Baby, I'm sure she is fine. These things take time." Eric assured me, his arm thrown around my shoulder and cuddling me into my side. "Stop worrying, it is not good for you or the baby." He reminded me, nibbling on my ear lobe just as Blake entered the room.

He looked like he had been through hell and back. His eyes were wide with excitement and a small amount of fear. His cheeks were red and tears were tracking down them. His mouth was open, drawing in a loud breath before he let out a slight cry of excitement. We all sat to attention, waiting for him to gather his breath and to stop painting. He bent down at the knees before he hooped up, yelling loudly.

"It's a girl!!! She is so fucking beautiful! Kara did so good, sooo good!" He started to laugh and then tears of joy streamed down his face along with the other women in the room, including me. We all stood and hugged him and celebrated the birth of a new life. I couldn't wait to go see the baby and Kara, but it would be another hour yet since she needed time to recover.

We made our way into the room, quite since Kara's eyes were closed. She looked exhausted yet content as she slept quietly, Blake immediately taking his seat next to her and gathering her hand in his. He kissed her softly, making her wake up as we all smiled, holding stuffed animals, flowers, and balloons that proudly said. it's a girl!. Kara smiled weakly at us, waving slightly as I wrapped her in a hug.

"How was it?" I asked her, smiling softly.

"Terrible, but so rewarding. I've never felt so relieved to hear a baby cry." We all chuckled quietly as Eric ran his fingers through my hair, telling me he was thinking about the birth of our child in a couple months.

"What did you name the little angel?" Katie asked, taking a seat next to me.

"Maddi Lee Haudan. Born at 3:28, 7 pounds 6 oz." Kara reported.

"Where is she?" Adam asked, looking around the room.

"She has to get monitored for a certain amount of time. They said we could have her for a little bit, but then she has to go back to the nursery." Blake sighed quietly.

A couple minutes later, Maddi was carted into the room, holding all of our attention as she was lifted into her father's arms. We all awed loudly as she was passed to Kara. We spent the next few minutes passing her around until she got to Eric. I watched him with a soft smile on my face as he held the baby close to him, kissing her cheek softly as the baby got lost in his thick upper body. He cradled her like she was a football, supporting her head perfectly and cooing softly to her. My heart fluttered in my chest, imagining for a moment Eric with our child in such a short amount of time. And all of a sudden, I couldn't wait to give birth. I wasn't scared anymore because if I got to see that image for the rest of my life, I was good to go.

"Do you want to hold her?" Eric asked me as I nodded, gathering her into my arms and cradling her softly. I held her the longest, bouncing her and murmuring sweetly to her, telling the baby that she was going to be surrounded by so much love. Kara smiled knowingly at me, sighing quietly.

"She's perfect isn't she?" She murmured once Katie and Adam had left, Eric talking quietly to Blake in the corner.

"She is so precious, Kara." I murmured softly, smiling at my best friend.

"I'm so excited for your baby." Kara whispered, snuggling into her bed and looking at her daughter's precious face.

"Me too." I nodded, ghosting my fingers over baby Maddi's face. "I hope our baby is as adorable as this." I chuckled.

"I can't imagine you and Eric making ugly babies." We both laughed at that as I snuggled the baby into my chest a little closer. "This is going to come so fast, Ry. Just enjoy being pregnant."

"I already want the baby. How am I going to wait six months?" I wondered, biting my lip and looking at her for advice.

"You'll miss this." She told me knowingly, gesturing to my stomach. "But you'll enjoy this even more."

I looked down at baby Maddi's face and nodded to her mother. Eric may have been wishing for a boy, but I was hoping for a beautiful baby girl. I sighed and looked up at him, our eyes meeting and both of us knowing that waiting was going to be the hardest part of this whole pregnancy.
♠ ♠ ♠
wooo! a new baby.. well a couple new babies I guess!
everyone is knocked up, except for Katie. Her and Adam aren't ready. hahahaha.
anyways, I would love love love to heard comments on this!
especially what YOU want the baby to be. boy or girl??
I was kind of bummed with the comments on last chapter.
maybe you guys didn't like it very much??
either way, I would like to hear from many many more of you. just take 2 seconds.
thank you! :)

BTW, Eric is currently sitting out of the Broncos camp due to a high ankle sprain. He also has a terrible haircut. So maybe it is good that he isn't out in public. Check my profile for the image.