Status: complete.

Love Was Easy When We Didn't Make It So Hard

a lot to be thankful for

I looked out at Solider Field from my seat in the family box, surrounded by friends and family for the first Bears game of the season. Jordan was resting in Jake's arms, looking out across the field and taking in all the new sights since he was an ever interested 8 month old. I had no idea where the time went, but the Spring and Summer flew right by as Eric and I worked to get everything ready for us to return to Chicago for the next season. Jordan grew and grew, each day giving us a show of his vibrant personality with something so simple yet so magical. He was the light of our life, and we couldn't get enough.

Jordan was such a happy and healthy baby that Eric and I wondered what we did to be so blessed in life. He was already crawling around the floor, pattering his pudgy hands against the wood floors and causing us to put up gates and make the house 100% baby proof so that no accidents can occur. The only ones that have happened so far came from him bumping his head on the table when he decided to use Eric's leg to stand up last week. Tears had followed along with comforting from daddy before Jord was back to roaming the living and dining area in his new home in Chicago.

Gabby loved to help Jordan around, following him about and watching carefully. She was absolutely smitten by him, howling whenever he cried and whining quietly when she missed him. She was so patient with him, never snapping or growling at him when he tugged at her ears and her tail. She just laid there and soaked up the attention she adored so much. Eric and I were adjusting as time went with balancing Eric's job and having Jordan. Eric wanted to make sure that I wasn't the only parent looking after him, and I wanted to make sure that Jordan didn't feel neglected by his dad because he was all of a sudden gone for hours out of the day.

Jordan could tell even before the season started that things were beginning to change. He would whine and sob when Eric would leave, but only for a few moments before I could distract him with the piles of toys he had to keep him entertained. But even with Eric being gone for practice, Jordan still wasn't used to Eric being gone for long periods of time, something both of us were worried about when he left in two weeks to head to Carolina.

"Ah!"Jordan shouted from Jake's lap, his baby giggle spurting out as Jake's thick fingers worked at his stomach. The baby let out a high pitched squeal that made me smile, reaching for the precious boy and holding him to my chest. He squirmed immediately to be released, but settled after a few moments, realizing that he was much too lethargic to try and wiggle his way free.

"Do you see daddy, Jord?" I asked him, speaking next to his ear and turning him to face the field. His light brown eyes searched the field, looking but not really seeing or understanding until I pointed to where Eric was stretching his legs. I smiled at the sight of his firm butt in his stark white football pants, biting my lip suggestively. Jordan cooed softly at the sight of his dad, his brown eyes following him as Eric began to run his routes.

I smoothed out his tiny Decker jersey, the one Kara had given me almost a year ago now. I looked to my right smiling as Blake held Maddi and was pointing down at the field, explaining to her how the game worked. She didn't seem to care as she happily munched on a cheese stick, her forehead pressed lightly against her dad's neck.

"Moments like this, I fall in love with him all over again." Kara sighed quietly to me, watching the same scene as I did.

"He is amazing with her." I smiled softly, kissing the top of Jordan's head as he bounced excitedly with the rest of the stadium when the boys ran back onto the field.

Maddi perked up as her dad began to show her how to clap her hands along with the rest of the fans. She wore a cute, little Bears cheerleader outfit along with two ponytails that stuck up in poofs on her head. Her hair was so light it was practically blonde, such a contrast to her parents who both had dark, brunette hair. Jordan was quiet as the stadium got loud for the kick off. He wasn't scared, just intrigued; this was his first NFL game and he wanted to take it all in.

The game started off rocky and slow as the Bears attempted to get some sort of offense going, not succeeding and each time having to kick it back to the St. Louis Rams. Late in the first quarter, the Bears were in the red zone as Jay Cutler peddled back, pulled his arm back, and threw a perfect spiral into the hands of my husband, sending the stadium onto their feet and startling Jordan who had been beginning to drift off. I gave him a large smile, clapping his hands together and bouncing him too ease his anxiety along with letting him understand that something good just happened.

"Daddy scored baby!" I spoke softly to him, kissing his dainty nose and snuggling him back into my chest. I rubbed his back and kissed his head, settling him back down. That was the last Jordan saw of the game.

Jordan slept on and off for the rest of the game, only awaking in order to gulp down a bottle of formula and get changed before he drifted back to sleep. He wasn't very amused by the loud cheering of the crowd or the football game in general. The Bears ended up pulling out a 30-17 win over the Rams, something that had everyone in the box cheering after starting off the season with a win. Eric played a fantastic game, running his routes and rushing for over 100 yards. He would be in a good mood tonight when we went out to celebrate later.

The Decker fan club made their way down to the family lounge, setting up shop on the couches along with by the food that was spread out on the far wall. TVs were on and turned to the post game show as the talking in the room escalated as several teammates families walked in as well. Jake plopped down next to me with Gracie who was sucking on her sippy cup full of red juice.

"I feel like we haven't talked in forever. You're too busy being mom to this cutie." He murmured, lightly poking at Jordan's cheek. The baby didn't budge at all, continuing to suck in light breaths as he slept.

"Well it is sort of a full time job." I chuckled, running a hand over Jordan's thick, brunette hair. "Its funny. He's only been here for eight months, but I can't even imagine what life would be like without him now. He's such a focal point of my everyday life."

"I know how that goes." He smiled at me, "They take over your heart and they never really let go. Kinda like you did to me when you were born."

"You were like two, Jake." I rolled my eyes at him.

"I was three, and I remember enough that I liked you even though you cried and took over my room." He stuck his tongue out at me, glaring slightly.

"I deserved that room." I insisted, a small smile tugging at my lips.

"You liked to think so. Just like you deserved my car when you could drive, and how you deserved to date my teammate."

"Eric wasn't your teammate anymore when I was dating him." I insisted, rolling my eyes as Eric himself walked into the room with Mitch. I waved to the two men before fixating my gaze back on my brother.

"Would you stop acting so much like David? Since when do you whine about everything?"

"Since Decker stole you from me." Jake bit back, standing up as Eric stood in front of us now. Mitch had disappeared to speak to Eric's mom and dad.

"I don't know what you're talking about, man. She came running into my arms." Eric smiled as he sank into the leather couch next to me. He dropped a soft kiss on Jordan's head before he scooped him up from my arms. "Hi buddy." He murmured softly, completely ignoring Jake who just rolled his eyes at Eric and walked to Holly. "Did you like the game?"

"He slept most of it." I chuckled, watching as Eric's nose wrinkled slightly.

"Come on bud, how are you going to be a football star if you don't start young? You gotta start memorizing your routes." Eric insisted, flashing me a joking smile as he wrapped an arm around my shoulders, snuggling me into the other side of his chest.

"You played really great today, Eric." I whispered to him.

"I've come a long way since Rocori." He chuckled, speaking of the high school days when he dreamed about the NFL, the thought of it so far off into the distance.

"We've come a long way since then." I murmured, my lips pressing firmly against his cheek.

"Who would have thought?" Eric asked, "no one thought we could make it this far."

"We were too different."

"But still perfect for each other." He finished for me as my eyes shone up at him.

"Are you guys ready? Because I'm starving over here." David insisted, standing impatiently with his arms crossed. Eric and I rolled our eyes but stood up.

"Yes because you know, it is all about you." I smacked his shoulder as we walked past him, my other hand clasped together with Eric's who was carrying Jordan in his carrier.

"Damn, he is getting heavy. Fat baby alert." Eric huffed as he hauled him into his ML350 Mercedes-Benz, something we got right before moving back to Chicago. Eric had to give up the truck he had since he was in high school because it wasn't exactly practical for driving in such a big city, along with the baby's car seat.

"Do not call our child fat!" I exclaimed, smacking his arm loudly and making him chuckle.

"I think I'd rather have him fat than malnourished." Eric rolled his eyes at me as he lead the parade of cars out of the parking lot.

"Still he isn't fat. It is just his baby pudge to keep him warm in the winter." I huffed out, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Really? You're going to pout because I called Jordan fat?" Eric started to laugh as he reached over and began to rub my knee. "You know I love him and that it was a joke. Don't be so sensitive." I mumbled under my breath at him, shaking my head and looking out the window. "What was that?" He asked, leaning towards me.

"Eyes on the road. We've got a baby on board." I gave him a sly smile as he bit his lip shaking his head in confusion.

"Women."
***

"You grab the baby, I'll grab the food." Eric murmured to me on Thanksgiving after we pulled into the driveway of my childhood home in Cold Spring.

We were home to celebrate the holiday with family with the two days off Eric had before we would be flying back to Chicago. I was thankful that the Bears would not be participating in the Thanksgiving day NFL game because no matter how cool Eric and my brothers thought it would be, I wanted him home with me. It was an added benefit that we lived just over an hour flight away from home, easy enough to justify a two day trip. It had been two months since I had seen my family, and I missed them.

"Hi honey." I cooed to Jordan as I unbuckled the straps in his car seat. "Its been so long since you were here. You probably don't remember." I chuckled, gathering him into my arms, but first making sure his coat was zipped and his Bears hat was on his head. He looked about his new surroundings before deciding the pies in his dad's hands were much more exciting. He grinned and lunged for them, but Eric made sure to move them while I tightened my grip.

"You're just too squirly." Eric chuckled, setting a calming hand on his head before he opened the door for me. "Lady and baby first." He winked as I thanked him, stepping in to the familiar warmth along with the delicious smells of the Kennedy Thanksgiving. I smiled at the sight of Gracie playing around with Zoe on the floor, while Jake and David say on the couch watching the Cowboys take on the Steelers.

"Hello." I called as I stepped in the room. "Its good to see you two hard at work." I snorted, setting Jordan on the floor. He immediately began to crawl around the floor, his pudgy hands gripping at the plush, cream carpet.

"Woman's work is in the kitchen." David insisted. On reflex, I smacked him upside the head before shoving him over.

"Hey! Look what you're teaching the children!"

"Abuse is okay if the person deserves it." I rolled my eyes, walking to Jordan and pulling him away from the brick fireplace. He yowled his protest before he was off again, crawling around like a big, bad, ten month old.

"Stubborn like his mother." Jake chuckled as he laid on the floor, beckoning Jordan to crawl all over him.

"His father is worse than me." I insisted, smiling as Jordan softly patted at Jake's face. Eric came back into the room, scooping up Jordan and placing him, butt first, on Jake's face, holding him there as we all laughed.

"Yuck! Someone needs to change you, Jord." Jake complained softly, squeezing the baby's pudgy sides.

"Go ahead, dad." I smiled at Eric who rolled his eyes at me, but took him away anyway.

"Eric's a great dad." Jake murmured to me as he rested his back next to me on the fireplace. "I always knew he would be though."

"He's fantastic. I couldn't ask for a better father for Jord. I don't know how he got so good at balancing his job and his family, but he finally has it down."

"I'm glad. Now I don't need to smack his shit back together."

"Daddy!" Gracie gasped, whipping her head to look at Jake. "Bad." She scolded, her eyes narrowed and tiny lips pursed.

"Dats bad uncle Jake." Zoe scolded him, brushing out her Barbie's hair.

"Do you see that look?" Jake asked me, whispering quietly. "Its like Holly trained her."

"Probably, us mothers do that." I patted his shoulder. I moved over, curling my legs under me and beginning to massage his shoulders. He relaxed into my touch, sighing quietly as Eric entered the room again, immediately frowning at us.

"You never do that for me!" He complained.

"You don't deserve it." I joked with him as he set Jordan back on the carpet, watching him as he pouted even deeper. He looked slightly wounded as my mom dipped her head in.

"Jake, go round up your dad and Austin form the garage, please, and make sure they scrub their hands clean. Oh, when did you two get here?" My mom asked, laying a soft hand on my shoulder.

"A few minutes ago." I shrugged.

"Do you want to help the ladies in the kitchen?" She asked.

"No. Someone needs to watch the kids. Plus, I already did my dues in." My mom asked her eyes and walked back into the kitchen while Jake headed to the garage. "Come here, baby." I cooed to Eric, tilting my lips into a smirk.

"No, my ego is bruised." He hugged, crouching down to Jordan and rolling him onto his back. Jordan howled at the interruption as Eric pulled him into his arms, leaning against the couch.

"Are you going to hold him hostage?" I asked, laughing lightly as I stood, walking to sit behind him on the couch. I placed my small hands on his broad shoulders, snaking them around to hand down either side of the baby, my cheek resting against his.

"Yes. He is mine." He whispered. As his cheek moved, his stubble brushed against my cheek teasingly, making me giggled quietly.

"Don't forget who gave birth to him." I murmured, watching Jordan pull away and look at the two of us. He gave a gummy smile, brown eyes sparkling as he laughed when Eric's fingers wiggled against his tummy. "Aren't you such a happy baby, Jord." I cooed at him, watching him smile at the sound of his name.

"He has your smile." Eric murmured thoughtfully as I turned to place my lips against his cheek. That brought his attention to me. "I love you so much, Ry. I wish I could find a less cliche way to show you how I feel about you."

"Love is not cliche, Eric." I chuckled, rubbing his shoulders.

"I feel like it doesn't do my feelings justice." He sighed, rubbing Jordan's head as the baby burrowed into his dad.

"You're just a hopeless romantic today." I smiled.

"I just have a lot to be thankful for." He shrugged, turning to look at me. "I am so thankful that you choose to love me. I'm so bless to have such a beautiful wife and mother to Jordan, not to mention the little man himself. I wonder every day how I got so lucky."

"I don't think you give yourself enough credit, Eric." I told him.

"I don't think you understand how incredible you are, or how much I need you and your support everyday."

"I think you would be fine without me." I joked, running both of my hands through his short but thick hair.

"I know I wouldn't be." He murmured. The vibration of his chest caused Jordan to drift to sleep, making me chuckle at how lazy he was.

"You know I love you and our life together. I'm thankful everyday that I get to have you in my life." I sighed quietly, turning his face to softly press our lips together.

"Are you going to show me how much later tonight?" He questioned, eyes ablaze with lust and passion.

"I'll think about it." I murmured playfully. "Try to be good until then."

A few minutes later, we were called to the table and after saying grace, we dug into the delicious meal my mom had created. Eric and I had Jordan between us, feeding him mashed potatoes which he loved. It was his first taste of Grandma's good cooking. It was a good thing the baby was between us because Eric could barely contain himself, trying to let his hand shake down the back of my jeans like I didn't notice his fingers gliding along the skin of my lower back. I threw him multiple warning glances, but he would just tilt the corner of his mouth like he was a little angel.

Dinner was passed with several stories about the children along with Eric's football stories. I had a warm glow being in the presence of family and such a loving atmosphere. Moving away made me have a large appreciation for home and my family.

When we were all stuffed with turkey, potatoes, and stuffing, my mom started the coffee and pulled out the pie and ice cream, serving it in helpings that made me worry about the button on my jeans. Jordan wanted some of the pie, but I gave him a small nibble of ice cream instead, smirking at his infection surprise at how good it tasted. He demanded more and I told him to ask his dad because I planned on eating mine. The holiday seemed to be so much more complete having Jordan here with us. Last year, I had been pregnant, dreaming of what this would be like. It was encouraging to know that all of this was so much more than I envisioned.

Once dessert was over, adults and children alike started to get sleepy as the snow began to fall outside. I didn't really want to leave, but we had a half hour drive back home and wanted to get there before the roads got too bad. Goodbyes were shared somewhat sadly, none of us knowing when we could see each other again. I hoped it was before Christmas, but time would tell. I hugged my parents tightly along with each one of my brothers. I kissed the sleeping children goodbye and hugged Zoe, the only one still awake. Eric bundled up Jordan and within five minutes, we were on our way back to Minnetonka. By the time we arrived home, Jordan was dead asleep and Eric was fired up to whisk me upstairs to have his way with me.

"Eric, can you wait until I get Jordan in bed, please." I hissed as he ran his hands from my hips, up my stomach, and directly to my breasts, squeezing lightly as his lips worked at my neck. My skin tingled in anticipation and my fingers shook as I unbuttoned Jordan's shirt. "Cut it out, Decker."

"Baby." He whined softly, groaning in defeat as I bumped him away.

"Go wait in the bedroom." I insisted, pulling on Jordan's fire truck PJ's.

"You're supposed to go strip down, throw on some scandalous lingerie, and demand I get in bed with you when I walk in."

"If you don't get out of here, you will be a lonely man on the couch with balls that can't give me anymore children." I snapped, shoving at his chest. He was irritating me and I needed to focus or I was afraid I would drop our son.

"Yes darling." He muttered quickly, spinning around and walking from the room.

"Sometimes I'm not sure what I'm going to do with him." I sighed to my sleeping baby. I set him gently in his crib, stroking his cheek lightly. "I love you, Jord." I walked out, flipping the light off as I went.

When I entered the bedroom, I wasn't surprised to see Eric already in bed, chest bare. His eyes flicked to the door, eager and beautiful as he sized me up. I rolled my eyes as I climbed up his legs, resting my head against his chest.

"Please don't kill me by telling me how tired you are." He whispered as he stroked my back which caused my eyes to drift shut.

"No, no. I just need a minute." I answered him, sighing quietly as I tangled our legs together. The belt in my jeans was digging into my stomach and the denim was too tight for it to be comfortable enough to sleep in. I still had on my boot heels, making me sight as I shoved them off of my feet. Eric was quiet, watching the TV as I laid against his chest, hearing the steady beating of his head and letting his warm chest spread the same warmth through my body.

It was so hard to force my eyes open that after several attempts, I stopped trying. I knew Eric really wanted to get down and dirty, but I wasn't sure if I could stay awake, and with the way he knows how to please, that was saying something. I was so tired from all the food, chasing Jordan around the house, and the stimulation of all the people at my parent's house. I just wanted to curl into Eric after I pulled my jeans off.

I felt Eric's hands drift along my belt, tugging at the leather to pull it apart.After he whipped it through my belt loops, he unbuttoned my jeans, making me sigh in relief. His thumb worked the zipper down before he slid his hands along the waistband, shoving the denim down my legs. My body finally was able to expand after all the food, not being forced into such tight fabric. I felt him climb off the bed, making me open my eyes slowly to watch him move to the dresser. He came back with my flannel pajamas. He moved over me once he pulled the smooth fabric up my legs, kissing across my jaw and then my cheek bones before down my nose to my lips.

"I thought you want me with my pants off." I questioned, my hands snaking around his neck as we shared a few soft kisses.

"I figured you were so tired I'll just give you a few extra goodnight kisses." He murmured against my lips.

"We can still-"

"Tomorrow, baby. Tomorrow." He whispered, silencing me with another kiss. I nodded, slightly relieved but still disappointed.

But then again with Eric, I always had tomorrow.
♠ ♠ ♠
this is a slight filler.
I'm excited about the next chapter, not because anything huge happens, but it will be fun to write.
but I would really like to hear from you guys even though I haven't been updating this very much.
drop any ideas you have for me..
also, how many kids do you guys see them having? I'm trying to figure that out to see how the story is going to go until it ends!
let me know :)
you guys are greaaaaaaat :D