Status: complete.

Love Was Easy When We Didn't Make It So Hard

it's simple, it's forever.

The loud booming of the band made my heart pound as Jordan, Delaney, and I walked towards the now older, TCF Bank Stadium. Delaney was now two years old and Jordan five, old enough now that Eric and I finally felt like we could go back out on dates again. But today was a family outing back to Minnesota for the weekend. We were fortunate enough to be in town for the Gopher homecoming game at the start of a brand new season due to the fact that the Broncos played the Vikings for a Monday Night Football show down. We were so blessed to be able to be in Minnesota for such a big event.

"Jordan, wait for me." I called to him as I waited with Delaney who had dropped her stuffed Gopher on the sidewalk outside of the now old TCF Bank stadium. I grabbed her hand and wrapped her into my arms, settling her against my hip as she smiled softly at me. Her dark brunette hair was pulled into a whale spout on top of her head, and she was dressed in a small Eric Decker Gopher jersey. I tickled her stomach as I walked to where Jordan was impatiently waiting.

"Mom! Dad said we can go onto the field if we're early!" Jordan yelled exasperatedly.

"I know that, but we're plenty early, honey. Your dad is going to be on the field at the start of the game, and you can be down there with him as well." I ran my fingers through his thick hair. I pulled him into my side, dropping a kiss against the top of his head. "Are you excited?"

"Yeah." He murmured thoughtfully as we approached the gate. We were brushed right through security and began to walk up the stairs. Delaney laid her head against my shoulder, observant and quiet as she watched the people walking around the concourse.

I walked to the elevator and smiled at the operator, showing her my pass as she welcomed us in. We chatted briefly before we were on the bottom floor of the stadium. I held Jordan's hand as workers passed us in a rush, still preparing for the game. I went to the tunnel leading out to the field, cautiously walking down and scanning the area for Eric. I saw Adam first, smiling and heading towards them with both of my children. Once we got close enough for Delaney to see Eric, she wiggled and thrashed about. When her feet were touching the turf, she took off at a full sprint to her dad.

"There's my favorite girl!" Eric exclaimed as he caught her, throwing her high into the air and catching her safely into his arms. Delaney let out an infectious giggle before she was tossed to Adam who threw her into the air as well. "Hey buddy," Eric grinned down at Jordan, kissing his head and tousling his hair. Jordan wrinkled his nose a bit, but he grinned up at his hero. "Mama." Eric's voice got soft when he saw me, pulling me into his thick, warm body and dropping a kiss against my lips.

"Baby." I greeted him, nuzzling my nose into his neck for a moment before pulling away. Eric laced our fingers together, still wanting to be affectionate after all of these years together. "Where is Katie?" I asked Adam.

"She was just here. But so were Blake and Kara. The two of them waddled off together." He spoke of the two very pregnant women whom I called my best friends.

"Be nice." I reminded Adam with a quaint smile. Although Kara and Katie were both pregnant, Kara with her third, and Katie with her first, I felt no desire to hop back on the baby making train. Eric and I were perfectly content with the two babies we had in our lives. Each day was a new, exciting adventure that made life so enjoyable, and although another bundle might make life more wonderful than it already was, our attention was on the two loves that currently took up out days.

"Mama." Delaney called to me from Adam's arms, opening and closing her little fists at me. She wrapped an arm around my neck, resting her head against my shoulder and surveying the field and stands that were beginning to fill.

"Decker, wanna throw me the ball?" One of the current Gophers called to him. Eric nodded to him and dipped away with Adam, leaving with three kisses for his family. I sighed and headed over the the side and off the field so the kids would be away form the large football players warming up.

I looked around as I leaned against the wall, the bright maroon and gold colors a welcoming sight for me to see. It was good to be home, even if we had just been out of the state for only a month. Minnesota always seemed to welcome us back with open arms every time we left for another NFL season. I yawned and looked down at Jordan who was watching in awe at the football players.

"This could all be yours one day, Jord. If you choose it of course." I ran my hand over his hair.

"I want it." He told me, tilting his head back and grinning at me, showing me a space where he was missing one of his front teeth.

"Then you know you're going to have to work hard for it, just like your dad did." I pulled him into my side tightly. "But I think you can do it." Jordan turned from looking at me, and instead watched as his dad threw the football back and forth with the starting quarterback. I smiled at the sight, knowing that Eric was enjoying this moment so much. There wasn't a day that goes by where he doesn't think about his time at the University of Minnesota, and how it opened all the doors for him.

"I'm hungry." Delaney mumbled to me as she fiddled with my necklace, a heart with two diamonds engraved in it for our children, something Eric had given me after Delaney was born. There was plenty of space to add a few more if necessary.

"Let's see if daddy wants to head up to the box with us then, huh?" I grabbed Conner's hand and walked back towards the tunnel, waiting until Eric was ready to leave before the four of us walked back to the elevator together. "Your little girl is hungry."

"Oh is she? Well, so is daddy." Delaney giggled wildly as Eric pretended to naw on her little fingers.

"No, dadddyyyy! No!" She squeaked between laughs.

Jordan and I shared a smile before I gently steered him out of the elevator and down the hall to where the indoor club room was, which had been rented out by the University for Gopher football alumni only. Katie and Kara were already parked in their seats by the windows that looked out over the whole stadium. Gold was the most prominent color due to the gold out the students had picked this year. I walked down the few stairs to slid into the chair next to them, sans both of my kids who went right to the food with Eric.

"It's so weird to think that only a couple years ago, the boys were down there." Kara murmured, running a hand over her six month baby bump.

"It is. I feel like it was so long ago, but at the same time, just yesterday." Katie chimed in.

"It's weird how time does that." I murmured, resting my head against my closed fist and looking out across the beautiful view of the stadium, plus the dusk of night and day meeting.

"Mama, I got you a san'itch." Delaney murmured as she carefully stepped down the steps with Eric holding her small hand in his large paw. She grinned as she presented it to me. I took it after giving her a loud kiss on the lips to which she grinned wider. Eric pulled her into his lap and helped feed her before the game started. Jordan ate without help and without any sort of mess, which was to be expected, after all he was a big, bad five year old now, missing a tooth and all.

"Are you ready, you little gophers?" Eric asked as he bounced Delaney on his knee. Both her and Jordan cheered loudly with the rest of The Bank as the football was rocketed into the air and the Homecoming Game was officially underway.

Delaney didn't even make it through the first half before she was asleep, contently, snuggled into Eric's chest as he wrapped her tightly into his arms, rubbing her back, and talking quietly to Adam and Blake. Jordan had moved down to sit on my lap where he pressed his nose to the glass and watched each play as it developed and then fell apart. He was absolutely entranced by every movement the players made. The only time he took his eyes off the field was when the players went back into the tunnel to prepare for the second half. The Gophers left the field with a 17-10 lead over the Lions.

"Eric Decker." A female voice called from behind us. I glanced over my shoulder to see a camera man along with a blonde reporter from the Big Ten Network. "How are you?" She smiled at him. I turned around as Eric set Delaney in her chair and looked out on the field where the marching band was doing their routine.

"I'm great, how are you, Cassie?" Eric asked politely.

"I'm fabulous. I was hoping we could catch a quick interview with you?" I could practically hear her turning the charm up and batting her lashes.

"Yeah."

"Great!" She bubbled excitedly.

"Do you mind?" Eric asked me quickly.

"No, just hand me Dee." I murmured, taking the little girl into my arms where she settled in immediately, not missing her dad for even a moment.

I listen to the reporter ask Eric several questions about the Broncos and their upcoming game against the Vikings. Eric answered like he always did, talking about how blessed he was to play a game he loved so much, and how much he loved returning to Minnesota- God's country.

"What would it feel like for you to end your career at Minnesota, back to where it all started?" The reporter asked. Eric let out a small laugh.

"Well, I'm very happy to be a part of the Broncos organization, but I'm aware of how quickly players are bounced around in this league, but to play for the Vikings one day would be incredible. Minnesota fans are the best, and to be able to play in front of them every home game would be incredible. But right now I'm focused on the game Monday night, and I'm looking forward to it."

"You have a son and a daughter, correct?" The reporter asked next.

"Yeah, my wife and I have a five year old son named Jordan and a two year old daughter named Delaney."

"What is it like to balance such a successful career along with a family?"

"Well, it's not easy, that is for sure. I count on my wife a lot more than I probably should, but she keeps the house and kids running while I'm gone. She's my high school sweetheart and she knows how important it was for me to live my dream of playing in the NFL. She never complains about the constant travels, and is incredibly understanding. You know, it's hard to be away from them, but it makes me appreciate the times that I do get to be with them that much more. I love spending time with my family, even though my job takes me away a lot, I consider myself a big family man, and no sacrifice is too much for them."

"Thank you so much for your time Eric and enjoy the rest of the game."

"Thank you." Eric finished as the camera cut and the reporter thanked him once more off screen before walking around for her next interviewee.

"Come here, baby." I mused softly to him, opening my arms to him. He pulled me into a standing position, wrapping both of his strong, muscular arms around my back as he grinned at me. His jaw was dusted by light, but sexy stubble and I could feel the breath seeping out of my lungs. He was just so breathtakingly handsome, and I was thankful every day that I had him in my life. "I love you." I kissed his lips, my eyes closing gently as he let out a soft sigh and pulled me tighter against his strong body.

"I love you so much, babe. Everyday I love you more." He kissed my lips, my nose, both of my cheeks, and then my forehead. I ducked my head under his chin as he very gently rocked the two of us back and forth. I closed my eyes and for a minute, we were back in college- no kids, no bills, no NFL lifestyle- just the two of us, holding one another because all we really knew was that we loved each other and we wanted to be together forever.

"Mama!" Delaney called to me. "MAMA!" She screamed, making me snap my eyes open and look down at my little girl who was crossing her legs and looking very unpleasant. "I have to potty!" We were trying really hard to get Delaney potty trained and so far, she was turning out to be much better at that than her brother was.

"Okay, baby let's go." I gathered her and ran her to the bathroom.

When Delaney was finished, she smiled proudly and bopped back to her dad to tell him all about it. I slid into the seat next to Eric, which Adam had vacated to sit next to Katie, just as the second half began. Delaney once again fell asleep on Eric, who was casually watching the game with the eyes of a professional. The fourth quarter was just starting when both of our kids were dead asleep. I yawned loudly as Eric smiled down at his sleepy babies.

"Look at you three. Can't even stay up past 9:30." He chucked as he brushed Delaney's bangs back from her forehead. Her precious lips were pursed and slightly apart as she pulled air into her lungs. "God, she is gorgeous, just like you." Eric insisted, kissing my lips gently.

"She has your smile though."

"But she has your eyes, and that makes all the difference." He pulled my chin towards him and his lips found mine like they had always been able to do, even in our toughest times. "We should get them home, and into their warm beds." He murmured against my lips. "And then I can put you to bed." He wiggled his brows suggestively at me as I giggled, a light blush dusting my cheeks.

Eric and I rounded up the kids and said goodbye to Kara and Blake along with Katie and Adam. The two girls looked like they were close to leave as well. It's funny how babies come and all of a sudden, everyone is back home by ten. Eric carried Jordan while I carried Delaney out to the car. Walking away from the stadium, I looked back at the massive building where Eric and I used to sit and dream about our future. A lump formed in my throat as I thought that we were blessed enough to have everything we wanted and so much more. Our life was turning out to be everything we had asked for.

The drive back to Minnetonka was quiet except for the consistent sounds of our children's light breathing along with the songs playing on the radio. Eric had one hand on the wheel and the other in mine, just like he always did, as we pulled into our Minnetonka Townhouse. We would be moving the following off-season to a house we were building a couple miles west, but still on the lake. We wanted the kids to be able to have a place to skate in the winter and swim in the summer, just like we had when we grew up in Cold Spring.

"You want to tuck her in and I'll get him settled?" Eric asked as we unbuckled our sleeping kids.

"Yeah. I'll meet you in bed." I smiled, kissing his lips before kissing Jordan goodnight and Eric placed his lips against Delaney's forehead.

"Daddy loves you, babe." He mused her hair before walking ahead of me.

I pulled Delaney's jersey off, placing it back on it's hanger and slipping the silky fabric back into place. I grabbed her pink, princess, foot pajamas, helping her lethargic body slip into the cozy fabric. I gathered her into my arms and rocked her back to sleep by sitting in the rocking chair. She had a tendency to wake up in the middle of the night, so Eric or I would rock her back to sleep. I looked out at the moon while I rubbed her back, thinking of all the times Eric and I had sat up late, sitting on the dock as the waves crashed against the shore, naming our kids and planning our whole lives. How was it that we were now in our late-twenties with two beautiful babies and high school so far behind us?

"Babe?" Eric whispered from the doorway. "I think she's asleep." He smiled gently and beckoned me towards him. "Put her to bed, and then come tuck me in." He gave me a suggestive wink as he slid from view.

"If your daddy keeps this up, you're not going to be the youngest anymore." I giggled to Delaney and kissed her forehead as I slid her into her crib. "I love you, baby. Sleep tight." I flipped the light off as I exited her room, making sure the nightlight was on and cracking the door. I padded gently down the hall, checking Jordan one more time before I walked into our bedroom where Eric was stripping off his clothes.

"Isn't that my job, Mr. Decker?" I asked him, setting my hands against his warm lower back and sliding them up to his shoulders before around his torso. My fingers spread wide against his tight abs.

"Please do." He growled against my skin as he kissed my collarbone. His tongue flicked out against my skin and then he moved his mouth up, suctioning my skin into his mouth and nibbling gently.

"A hickey would look so classy on Monday Night Football." I giggled, wrapping my arms around his shoulders as he bent down to my height.

"Jake would love it I'm sure." Eric snickered against my skin as his hands slid to the hem of my t-shirt.

His fingers moved the shirt up my torso and over my breasts, lingering there before he pulled it off of my body. Next, he unsnapped my jeans, pushing the denim down my thighs and helping me step out of them. I unbuckled his belt and undid the button before sliding them down his hips. We stood there in our underwear, breathing heavy as we stared at each other. I smiled softly at him, wrapping my arms around him and standing on the tips of my toes. Eric knew to pick me up as his large hands slid to the back of my thighs to lift me into his arms. He walked us to the bed, setting me down gently before crawling on with me.

"I love you so much, Ry." Eric nuzzled his nose in the crook of my neck as he pushed me into the pillows, hovering over me with pursed lips, desperate for his favorite kind of loving.

"I love you too, Er. So much, baby." I kissed his lips and pulled his weight onto me, wrapping my legs around his waist as he kissed all along my collar bone, up onto my neck and my jaw to the shell of my ear. I moaned as his teeth hit that spot that made me succumb to anything. Eric's hands dipped down to the band of my underwear, his fingers about to dip into his favorite slice of heaven.

"DADDY!" Delaney screamed from outside the door. Eric flipped off of me so fast I thought he was going to fall off the bed. I clasped my hand over my mouth to keep from laughing as he grabbed his jeans off the floor, stuffing himself into them and glaring at me.

"This is wrong." He muttered as he went to the door, opening it to reveal his daughter with puffy eyes and red cheeks.

"Daddy." She immediately started sobbing upon seeing him.

"Oh, baby girl. It's okay. Daddy's here. Baby, you're alright." He picked her up as she cried into his neck, her small hands grasping at the large muscles of his back. Eric exited the room, closing the door behind him as he walked back to her room with her, presumably to rock her back to sleep.

I sighed in defeat, getting up from bed and heading to the closet. I pulled on a pair of yoga pants and one of Eric's t-shirts before heading to the bathroom to take off my makeup and get rid of my contacts. I scrubbed my face with soap and then brushed my teeth before heading back into the bedroom with my glasses on.

"No!" Eric exclaimed when he slipped back into the room. "Glasses mean no sex." He pouted dramatically at me as he stepped out of his jeans again. "Fuck me." He whined in exasperation, and not as a come on, while he walked to the closet. I laughed at his dramatic antics, snuggling tightly into bed and waiting for him to join me. "It's not fair that baby Dee always needs me. I could have kept the mood for you." He continued to whine as he slid into bed next to me.

"Shut up and hold me." I demanded gently, letting him pull me onto his bare, warm chest. I loved the feel of my cheek resting on his warm skin, his heart beat a soft lullaby in my ear.

"You know what is funny to me?" Eric murmured to me while his fingers danced up and down my back.

"Hmm?" I nuzzling closer to his body as sleep started to tug at my body and mind.

"How easy it is to love you. Everyone said it would be so much harder when the babies came, and when I started to play in the NFL. I mean, we had our rough years, but we made it. I just… it's so much easier to love you now that we're not making it out to be such a difficult thing. It's simple really, I love you, and you love me."

"Forever." I mused to him. "You will always have me to come home to."

"And I'll always come home. I promise."
♠ ♠ ♠
53 chapters.
Two stories. Two lovers. Two babies. one love.
This is the final chapter of Eric and Riley.
I wanted this to be filled with so much love and hope for their future.
As for their future, it's whatever you want it to be.
Eric and Riley have a very special place in my heart. I love these two, they're my favorite to write about, and I used them to write out of several writers blocks.
I hope each and everyone of you that read, commented, and subscribed loved this story and enjoyed it as much as I loved writing it. Thank you to everyone of you!!!
I would love to hear your thoughts one final time.
Once again, Thank you so much for making this so much fun to write! You guys truly are the best :)