Say That You Wanna Be With Me Too

Rule the Fifth

Rule #5: Being best friends forever and then just falling in love only works in movies, really cheesy movies. Best friends aren’t always meant to be. Someone you’ve known your whole life isn’t necessarily in love with you.

“Where are we going?” I demanded for the hundredth time.

But for the hundredth time, Nick just smirked back at him as he led me forward by the hand. “You’ll see when we get there.”

I looked around at where we were. We were in a dark alley, alone in a dark alley. I trusted Nick, but suddenly, I was growing wary. “Oh God, you’re taking me back here to kill me and dispose of my body, aren’t you?”

He turned and looked at me, deadpan. “Yeah, how’d you know? Did Joe tell you? Damn, I have to kill him now too.”

I just looked at him until he cracked a wide grin. “Relax, Skye. You’ll be fine. We’re not going anywhere suspicious or dangerous, promise.”

“And yet we’re walking through a dark and deserted alley, at night, alone, and you won’t tell me where it leads. Can you just tell me already!”

“You know the definition of a surprise, don’t you?”

“Yes I am aware, Nicholas,” I stuck my tongue out at him. Yes, I did the very mature thing right there. “But you should be aware by now that I hate surprises, and if I end up dead, I will come back and haunt you forever.”

He just laughed at this. “I swear, Skye, sometimes you just crack me up.”

“You think I’m joking,” I mumbled.

Suddenly, Nick stopped, causing me to crash into him. Wow so I could pay attention to my surroundings but not to what was in front of me? Great. “We’re here,” he grinned.

I looked in the same direction he was. We were at a café, an underground and extremely small café, but a café nonetheless. From through the windows, I could see that there were a lot of people inside. I had to admit, I was worried for no reason. Apparently, this was a legitimate place and not my grave.

Nick just laughed at my expression. “Did you really think I was going to kill you?”

“No,” I tried to wave it off. He just smirked and rolled his eyes, grabbing my hand.

“Come on, it’s almost time.”

“Almost time for what?” I asked as he opened the door for me. Nick Jonas, always the gentleman.

He pulled out a seat for me and then sat across from me. I could see now how excited he was. Why hadn’t I noticed till now? God, what was the boy planning? “Nick, what the hell is going on?”

“We’re breaking up, Skye,” he grinned.

I just stared at him a moment while I collected my thoughts. Why did that statement hurt me so much? I mean, it wasn’t even like we were anything to break up. I was just so confused. “W-what?” I stammered. “Why? Nick, whatever I’ve done, I can change, I promise.”

He just looked at me quizzically. “What? Wait, Skye, you think I’m talking about you and I?”

“Well what do you expect me to think when you spring a statement like that on me!” I demanded, blushing now. Joe’s words were suddenly replaying in my head. He was always trying to make it seem like Nick and I were something more than best friends. He had been doing it for years, but it was only after my night with him that the words seemed genuine. It wasn’t that I had believed them, but then, why did I just freak out when I thought he was breaking up with me?

“Skye, we’re best friends. You don’t break up with your best friend,” he reassured me. “I meant me and my brothers.”

I gapped at him. This bit of news wasn’t any less dramatic. “What?”

“Well not really breaking up as much as taking a break, a long and permanent one.”

“That’s breaking up,” I rolled my eyes.

“Well we’ll always be brothers. We’re just doing our own thing, but we willperform as a band every once in a while.”

“Why?”

“It’s just time,” he shrugged. “Kevin’s busy with Danielle. Joe is – well he’s Joe and he wants to go into filmmaking . And personally, I’d like to try my hand in other things as well.”

“Like what?” I asked incredulously. “Nick, your whole life is about music. It’s your passion.”

“I know,” he grinned. “Which is why we are here.”

“Yeah you still haven’t filled me in on that bit of information.”

“It’s a practice round,” he said.

“A practice round for what?”

“And next we have Nick Jonas, singing his first solo single,” the announcer said.

I gapped at him, understanding as he stood, and grinned at me once last time. “For my solo career.” He turned and walked to the stage, taking the guitar the man handed him. He sat down on a stool and started strumming. “This is a song I wrote recently for someone very special to me. Hope you like it.”

I stared at him, transfixed. Someone special? There was no one special in his life. I would have known. I mean I was his best friend, he would have told me. Unless… unless Joe was right. Unless everyone was right, and Nick and I really were meant for each other and really were in love. Sure I did love him. He was my best friend. But was it love in a higher sense? I didn’t know.

“Hey
Yeaah
I'm no super man
I can't take your hand
And fly you anywhere you want to go
Yeah
I can't read your mind
Like a billboard sign
And tell you everything you want to hear
But I'll be your hero

'Cause I
I could be everything you need
If your the one for me
Like gravity
I'll be unstoppable
I yeah I believe in destiny
I may be an ordinary guy
With heart and soul
But if your the one for me
Then I'll be your hero

Oh
I'll be your hero
Yeah
I'll be your hero

So incredible
Some kind of miracle
That when it's meant to be
I'll become a hero
So I'll wait wait wait wait for you
Yeah I'll be your hero

Yeahhh
'Cause I
I could be everything you need
If your the one for me
Like gravity
I'll be unstoppable

I
Yeah I believe in destiny
I may be an ordinary guy with heart and soul
But if you're the one for me
I'll be your hero

Yeah I'll be your hero
Yeah
I'll be your hero,”
he finished,

I was just staring at him, my jaw on the ground. I didn’t know when through the song I had realized just how much I loved my best friend. I didn’t know if it was the fact that he just stared into my eyes the whole time he sang, or the fact that he smiled my favorite Nick J smile, or the fact that I was just really seeing him as more than a friend when I let finally myself. But whatever it was, those feelings were there.

“How was I?” he asked when we were leaving shortly after.

“Amazing,” I said, linking my arm with his. He just grinned at me, apparently unaware of how fast my heart was racing. “I’m so glad you decided to share that with me?”

He just smirked at me, turning his head to look at me. “You’re my best friend, Skye. Of course I did!”

We were staring at each other too long that we didn’t notice that someone had walked into Nick. We stopped, my arm falling out of his as he went to catch her before she fell.

“Oh man, I’m so so so sorry,” the girl said, looking up at Nick, still in his arms.

“It was my fault,” he said, still holding her.

I just stared at their little exchange, feeling my heart break a little. I knew that look. But how was he having this moment with another girl if he had just proved his love for me? But what if he hadn’t? He was always the first to tell me I jumped to conclusions too quickly with guys. Had Nick just become another one? I looked away, trying to collect my thoughts.

He straightened her out. “I’m Nick,” he said.

“Kelsey,” she smiled, and tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear.

I suddenly knew what I had to do. I looked at him. “I’ll meet you at your house, okay?”

He looked at me, concerned for a moment. “Wait, I’ll come with you.”

The girl glared at me, but I looked only at my best friend. “No, it’s fine. It’s not far, and I need to do something first.”

“You sure?” he looked back at the girl, who smiled now.

“Positive,” I sighed and walked away quickly before he could follow. I grabbed a cab and told the driver to step on it. I handed him the money and ran out. Joe’s car was outside. Good, he must be alone since there was no other car. I knew that if a girl came over, she always brought her car. I knew Joe didn’t want to give these girls the opportunity to snake their way into a nighttime stay. I pushed his door open without knocking. He had been laying on his bed, but sat up quickly now.

“Schuyler? What is it? Is something wrong? Where’s Nick?” he could obviously tell something was wrong. It wasn’t that it was wrong, but I had to do this know before I chickened out.

“Teach me, please,” I begged.

“Teach you what?”

“How to get Nick to see me,” I said, tears in my eyes.

He just smirked. “Finally see I was right, did you?”

I just rolled my eyes at him, wiping my eyes. “Okay, okay, so I love him, you were right. But he won’t see me like that, not until I figure out what I’m doing wrong.”

“And you came to me why?”

“Because I’m hoping you can help me. Joe, please,” I knew I was begging, but I didn’t care. “I really love him. And I just – I need to fix me.”

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “I’m so going to regret this.”

“So you’ll help me?” I squealed.

“Apparently I am,” he shrugged. “Just – don’t tell Nick about this – ever.”

“Mums the word,” I said, mimicking zipping my lips and locking them. I squealed again and I hugged him.

He sighed and shook his head. “I’m really, really going to regret this.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So I know it's been forever since I updated. Sorry about that. But hope you liked this! Pleaseee don't be a silent reader. Love you guys!