‹ Prequel: Statues Without Eyes

Black Rose

Vegas

I was greeted with a blast of warm air which came as a shock as I stepped off the very-well air conditioned plane. I could get used to it though, it wasn't like I was going to die or anything.

It was still early in Vegas, not many people were around the airport for the time being. Or it could've just been me thinking there weren't many people there. I still couldn't call Ryan til I got out of the gates though. That and I had no idea who was meeting me here, I just knew that I was being picked up by someone who worked in the lab.

I walked through the airport gates with my sunglasses on as I noticed someone standing there who looked like he belonged in the police force also with another girl standing next to him.

"Sylar Caine?" The man asked as I nodded.
"Yes?"
"I'm Nick Stokes," He extended his hand as I went to shake it, "We spoke on the phone early."
"I remember," I smiled at him.
"And this is Wendy," He pointed to her as she smiled, "She wants to get in the field eventually."
"I work in the lab," She let out a nervous laugh as I nodded.
"It's cool," I smiled.
"Did you have a good flight?"
"It was bearable," I shrugged as I looked around, "I need to get my bags though."
"Ok," Nick nodded.
"And I need to call Ryan, let him know I made it here safely," I walked towars baggage claim as the followed me.

I waited for the phone to ring as I stood waiting for my luggage too.
"Hello?"
"Hey Ryan," I smiled into the phone, "I'm here in Vegas. I told you, I'd call."
"That's great," He yawned as I smirked.
"Are you sleeping?"
"No, I'm just in QD, it sucks."
"Well hey, tell Tyler I love him and I'll call you later tonight."
"I will. I love you, be safe."
"Love you too," I smiled as I hung up the phone to see a smirk from Nick.

"Boyfriend?"
"We're engaged," I smiled at him.
"Well congratulations."
"Thank you."
"But there's some things that I need to talk to you about on the way to the lab."
"You mean I don't get to go to the hotel yet?"
"Afriad not," Nick looked at me as we walked to his car, "We're got some important information on this guy and we want to try to catch him before he's gone."
"Who is he?"
"We'll talk in the car," He nodded as he lead me to his car.

Once I got all my things in his car, I managed to make my way there without any paparazzi following me for once which was a good thing but people recognized me this morning, which only meant that the word was going to spread.

"So, mind telling me what's up with this guy?" I asked as I looked at Nick from the backseat.
"You knew about this murders in LA right?"
"Yeah of course," I nodded, "He killed one woman and then another, brutal killings, slashing of throats. We tried to stop him but he moved on."
"To Miami, he's living with another woman," Nick pointed out as I nodded.
"Does she know?"
"No," Wendy shook her head, "But she was with him for a while before the LA killings."
"So shouldn't I be in Miami?" I questioned not getting what was going on.
"He's not in Miami, he told his girlfriend that he was going to Vegas for a week trip."
"How'd you find that out?" I questioned as I looked at him as Wendy handed me a file.
"It's a legitimate business trip, they just don't know what he does after the meetings are over."
"Wow, he's progressed," I looked shocked as I looked up at Nick, "Is there anything else you found out about his first killings?"
"You mean the information on the victims that no one would tell you?"
"Exactly," I nodded, "It's a bit hard for a profiler and an ATF agent to go off just hunches and non-verbal behavoir and actually get any help for the LA police departmentj when they first happened."
"That must be weird," Wendy looked at me, "Not knowing who your victims are or anything about them to make a connection."
"More frustrating," I sighed, "They were both high end crimes, and some cop was working the case and I couldn't get close."
"Jesse Cardoza," Nick looked at the rear view mirror at me.
"What?" My heart stopped a bit as I looked at him.
"Jesse Cardoza, he was the one working the case. He put in his report that no one was to tell you of the details. Do you know him?"
"Yeah," I thought for a second, "What's he got to do with this?"
"His wife was one of the woman killed."
"Wife?" I questioned as I felt like a dagger went through my heart since well it opened a lot of doors.
"You didn't know."
"I didn't," I thought of something else.
"The girl he's trying to save is a girl named Anna-"
"I know her," I looked away as Nick pulled up to the crime lab.
"I'm beginning to think you know a lot about this Jesse guy then we've been told."
"You have no idea," I mumbled as I got out of the car to follow Nick and Wendy into the lab.

As I walked into the lab, I was taken to Catherine Willows first in order to get told where I would be at.

"Sylar Caine," She smiled at me, "Your dad and Grissom told me a lot about you."
"I believe I gave Grissom hell at some behavorial seminar," I smirked as she laughed.
"You did," She shook my hand.
"It's nice meeting you though."
"You'll be working most the time with Greg Sanders and Nick here," She nodded at him, "I'm placing you with Greg in the long run since I know the two of you will work fine together."
"And Nick?" I looked back at him.
"He'll be there if you need him," She smiled.
"Come on, I'll take you to meet Greg."