Sequel: Watching Over You
Status: Finished. Sequel Coming Soon.

Not an Angel Yet

I Caught Fire

For the next three weeks, Bella and I talked more and more. She told me more about her and her family, and I did the same. She was becoming my new best friend, if she wasn’t already. But I was beginning to see certain things about her that worried me. She never ate at lunch, and she was always so pale. When we laughed, her cheeks never turned even the slightest shade of pink. Sometimes, when we were in physics together, I could swear she didn’t breathe. I decided to ask her about it in study hall one day. “Bella?” I asked, a bit frightened. “Yes?” She replied and looked up from her book. “I have a question..” I said, looking down. “Okay..” She said, sounding a bit scared. “Well, I’ve noticed some things.. About you… And I just wanted to make sure you were okay…” I said. Her eyes widened a bit. “I mean, you never eat, and you’re always so pale… You’re making me worry a lot.” I explained. Her face got really soft. “I’m part albino, that’s why I’m so pale, and I don’t eat because I have a special diet that Carlisle has put me on. So I only eat at home.” She smiled, “Nothing to worry about.” She told me. I nodded, “Okay. It’s nice to know you’re okay.. I wouldn’t want anything bad happening to my best friend…” I said before I could stop myself. She smiled widely. “Thank you for caring so much, Haydee, it really means a lot.” She said and patted me on the back in a friendly gesture. I smiled in return and continued doodling in my notebook.

Jasper came in a few minutes later and sat down next to Bella. I did not know why, but he intrigued me. I always found myself trying to figure him out, or longing to know his secrets, it was quite odd, really. I was in the middle of drawing some barbed wire in my notebook when someone said my name.

“Hey Haydee?” Bella called my name. I looked up at her. “Would you like to come to our house for a little get together tonight? Well, it’ll just be our family and you, really.” She said with a hopeful smile. I thought about that for a few minutes. What could it hurt? I could finally meet her mother too, she seems sweet. And I could see her house, and maybe talk to Jasper… “Sure. I’d love to.” I told her with a smile. “Great!” She beamed. So I’ll come and pick you up at your house at around seven?” She asked. “Sounds good.” I told her, just as the bell rang.

When I got home after school that day, I found a note on the table from my mom saying that she was working the night shift tonight and wouldn’t be home until late. I wrote her a note letting her know that if I was not back by the time she got home that I would be at the Cullen’s house. Just writing that made my stomach do back flips.

Seven o’clock came around and I found myself standing on my front porch, freezing in the January weather. I stood there for a while, thinking about how this night would turn out, and trying to see if I would be able to form enough words to talk to Jasper. For some reason, I didn’t know what to say to him. It was now seven fifteen, and I was beginning to think that Bella had forgotten about me when a giant silver jeep pulled up into my driveway. I started to feel a bit scared until I saw Bella step out of the passenger side. “C’mon!” She said with a laugh and led me to the door and helped me get in.

The ride to the Cullen’s house was not very long at all, but very bumpy. They lived far back in the woods, away from everyone else in Forks. I bet they have a lovely house with a huge yard where they play sports on sunny days. I thought to myself. We pulled up to a house that almost looked as if it were made out of nothing but glass. I was in awe. As Edward shut the truck off, Bella got out and opened the door so that I could get out as well.

When I walked into the house, I was hit by an aroma of lilac and honeysuckle. Their house smelt amazing. Bella lead me into what I am guessing was the living room and smiled. Carlisle turned towards me and a smile lit up his face. “Hello, Haydee.” He said kindly and came towards me, a beautiful woman who I didn’t know at his side. “This is my wife, Esme.” He said and motioned towards her. “You have a very lovely home.” I said, like most people would. “Thank you, Haydee. You are quite kind.” She said and smiled. I nodded politely.
As the night continued, I had talked to many people, including a family friend, named Jacob Black. He seemed to hover very protectively around Renesmee, which I thought was a bit odd, but I did not say anything about it. It wasn’t my business. I had talked to everyone there, except for Jasper and Alice, who were both in a corner of the room, and it looked like they were fighting. I tried to ignore it, but I could not help wonder why they were fighting when Bella had told me that they were so happy together. I turned away from them and went to stand by Bella. “What’s bothering you Haydee?” She asked, seeing the worry on my face. I looked down, “I think Alice and Jasper are fighting…” I whispered. She looked behind me and frowned. “I’ll be right back…” She told me and walked over to them. I decided to take this time to go upstairs to the kitchen, I was starving.

I was drinking a cup of punch when I heard someone clear their throat behind me. I jumped at the sound and dropped my cup in the process, glass going everywhere. “Oh no!” I said and immediately bent down and began picking up glass pieces. It was Jasper who had scared me and he was now helping me clean up my mess. I picked up a piece of glass the wrong way and cut myself. “Ouch…” I said and looked at it. I heard Edward scream downstairs and footsteps running. I looked up slowly and saw Jasper’s face. His eyes turned black as he growled and lunged at me. I screamed as loud as I could and tried pushing his face away from me as he tried to bite me. I was scared for my life. I felt Jasper’s sharp teeth pierce the skin on the base of my neck and I screamed as loud as I could. The first thing I felt was a fire inside of me. The next thing I knew, Jasper was yanked off of me, growling once again, his eyes a blazing red, like the fire I now felt, and I was in Carlisle’s arms. “He got her…” He said and began examining the bite mark on my neck, unaffected by my screams. All I could feel was a fire blazing through my veins. “It burns!” I screamed, thrashing my body around. I felt Carlisle’s grip tighten on me. “Bella, come here.” Carlisle ordered. Bella bent down next to me and looked hurt. “Bella you know what has to be done…You’re the only one here with enough control.. You can do it.” Edward said to her. Bella nodded and looked at me. “I’m going to make it stop, Haydee.” She said and bit the exact same place Jasper had bitten me. As she sucked the venom out, I could feel the burning sensation begin to fade away until it was only in one spot, and then gone. Now there was only pain. “Alright, Bella, the venom is out.” Carlisle told her, and she stopped. “I’ll take her up to my office.” Carlisle said and carried me up another flight of stairs. He laid me down on what must have been an operating table, and I passed out.

When I woke up, I was lying on a couch with a bandage on my neck and my finger. I sat up and looked around the room. Nobody was there. I got up and walked into the kitchen, still nobody. Maybe they left. Were they afraid of me telling everyone? They weren’t the only one with a secret. “Haydee?” I turned around and saw Edward. “Hey, where is everyone?” I asked him, walking up to him. He looked a bit shocked. “They went out to eat…” He told me. “Oh.” I said. “Haydee, do you realize how unusual you’re acting? You just got attacked by a vampire and you act like you’re not fazed.” He said. “Let’s just say I’m really good with weird.” I told him with a smile. He smiled in return. “What are you?” He asked me. “I’m an angel.” I told him. His eyes widened. “Really?” He asked, sounding interested. I nodded. “I get my wings on my birthday this year.” I explained. “How are you an angel, but you’re here?” He asked. “It’s a long story..” I replied. “I’m a good listener.” He said with a smile. “Alright,” I said. “When my mom was in her early twenties, she became lost, emotionally. She distanced herself from everyone and everything. She did this because she found out that she could never have a child, and that is all she wanted in the world, was to have a child to love and care for. One day, she was at a park watching children play with their parents, when she met a man. They began talking, and they eventually fell in love. Later on in their lives, he explained to her that he was a fallen angel and then only way to gain his wings back was to do someone a kindness that nobody else could do, and that his intention now was to allow her to conceive a child, his child. As soon as I was born, he went back to heaven.” I told him. “Wow.” Was all he could say. “Yeah, it’s kind of confusing at first.” I replied. “So when do you go to heaven?” He asked. “When I’m killed.” I said with a smile, “Don’t worry, I’m not going anywhere anytime soon.” He smiled a bit, “That’s good, because Bella adores you. She thinks of you as her best friend.” He told me. “Well, the feeling is mutual.” I told him with a kind smile. “So you’re vampires?” I asked. He nodded. “Even Jake?” I asked, confused. He was rather warm, I thought… “No, no. Jacob is a werewolf.” He told me. “Interesting.. And he’s imprinted with Renesmee? My mom told me when I was little that werewolves imprint on people, but that its not their fault who they imprint on.” I said. “Yes. Bella wasn’t so happy about it when Renesmee was a baby, but she’s gotten over it.” He explained. So Renesmee is their child… how odd.. I thought to myself. “Yes, it is quite odd. Bella and I had Renesmee when Bella was still human. I changed her after she gave birth to save her life.” He told me. “So you read minds?” I asked with a chuckle. “Yeah.. Did you think that?” He asked with a small smile. I nodded.
“Hey Edward?” I asked. He looked up at me. “Is Jasper okay?” I asked, feeling very worried. “He’ll be better once he’s hunted… He is afraid you will hate him though… When he came up to the kitchen, his intentions were to compliment you, but I guess that went out the window.” He said with a sad chuckle. “I don’t hate him…” I said and looked down. “I know..” He said and put a cold hand on top of mine. “Will you tell him that for me, please?” I almost begged. He smiled and nodded. “And tell everyone else what I told you about me being an angel and all. I’m kind of tired.” I said. “Okay. Let’s take you home.” He said and escorted me to the Jeep, taking me home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh! I forgot to mention that this story is supposed to take place like 100 years after Breaking Dawn :3 sorry.
Oh, and im not posting another unless i get some comments.
:]