Status: Finished.

I Don't Like Your Boyfriend

La-La-La

Detention. That’s what I had after school. I sat down on my assigned seat at the island counter that was far away from Mr. Sanyo’s desk. He didn’t even looked up as I had entered the class room.

“Half an hour.” He said.

It was a routine he and I had. I took out my book and started reading. It’s a book called ‘Blue Moon’ by Alyson Noel from the series of books called The Immortals. It is such a nice break from all those vampire and wizard books. Ever is a normal teenage girl and not sad and emo-like like Bella Swan.

The clock ticked away.

I shouldn’t be worried about Sterling. I told myself. I can trust him. I convinced myself.

I looked at the clock and only thirty seconds had passed. I groaned and concentrated on the book. I was almost done with it and Shadow land was only a pay check away. I checked my Scooby Doo watch, yeah, it’s a collectible!

I knew I wouldn’t be able to read so I put the book back in bag. I ran my hands through my fiery red hair. I set my hands down on the counter and started to drum them. I made my own beat and found it quite entertaining until Mr. Sanyo cleared his throat and gave me ‘the look’. I stopped drumming my hands and blew a raspberry past my lips and my bangs moved away from my eyes.

Ten minutes later I was half asleep. I set my head down. I could smell the gasoline and the cries of my mother in pain. The blood dripped down my face and my eyes felt so heavy but I had to open them. To see the damage.

Something slammed and I woke up like lighting had struck me. Mr. Sanyo had a sour look on his face.

“Sleeping is what got you this detention, Ms. Torch.”

“I didn’t get enough sleep, all right?” I snapped. I’m cranky when I don’t have my eight hours.

“You don’t speak to me in that tone.”

I pursed my lips to keep myself from saying something stupid and get myself more in trouble.

“Have you been seeing your therapist?”

I snapped my head in his direction. How did he know?

“It’s a small town, Ms. Torch, people talk.”

I scoffed. “So you listen to people gossip about me?”

“It’s what happens when you go to the town’s laundry mat.” He said with half a smile.

I didn’t smile back instead I scowled. “I like to keep my life personal.”

“Not in this town.” He muttered. “I’ll let you go early but next time you sleep in my class I will give you two hours.”

“Yes, sir.” I saluted him and ran out of there.

I saw Luke sitting on the hood of his car. I crept up behind him and tickled him. He jumped and screamed. I laughed as he ran his hand through his short brown hair.

“You’re early.”

“He let me out early.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Mr. Sanyo?”

“Yeah, I was surprised as you are. Now, let’s get inside the Bat mobile and get me to work, por favor. Na, na, na, na… Batman.” I said.

Luke laughed and jumped off of the hood and opened the door of the car. I curtsied and got inside. Luke went around and got inside.

“Where did you drop off Lora?”

“At Antonio’s since your aunt called him saying there were no deliveries.”

At least I get to be alone, right?

“Awesome. I get the store to myself.” I giggled.

Luke dropped me off and he went off. I walked inside of the store singing some random song stuck in my head.

“When I walk in the club all eyes on me. I’m with the party rock crew all drinks are free. We like ciroc, we like patron. We came to party rock everybody is on! Shots, shots, shots, shots, shots… Everybody! Shots, shots, shots, shots, shots…” I sang. Yeah it’s a catchy song and I couldn’t get rid of it.

“You like LMFAO?” Antonio’s voice scared me and I squealed.

He laughed as I punched him hard. “You assbutt.”

“Nice comeback the nineties want it back.”

“They also want that lame ass comeback.” I smirked.

He chuckled.

“I have a song, but you have to be willing to dance it with me.”

“Aren’t you supposed to be with Lora over at your house?”

“Your aunt called me again and said she had something for me in half an hour.”

I checked my watch.

“The dance?” He raised an eyebrow.

I sighed. There was nothing to do.

“All right.” I said.

He smiled as he took out his I-Pod and did something. The music started and I recognized it because I have it on my I-Pod as well. He took my hand and brought me close but not chest to chest. He took my other hand and intertwined our fingers. It felt good.

We started to move them like a windmill. I laughed because it felt a little silly, but silly was my style so I went with it.

“I feel like I just seen the sun for the first time You make my life bright cuz you shine It's me and you baby, it's our time I'm living my dream, girl cuz you mine You got me skippin down the street And singin love songs all out of key I didn't smoke nothin but I feel so high And I know why It's a love thing, it's got to be Your heart's all locked and I got the key It feels like I just won the lottery Cuz I got my girl and she got me.”

Antonio sang along with the song. I couldn’t help but let my heart flutter. The music was getting to me and so was Antonio.

“You my new obsession All I want to do You my new obsession, girl I feel on top of the world with you baby I want to dance and party tonight I feel on top of the world with my lady I'm gonna rock your body all night She makes me wanna sing.”

We sang along together in this part. “La, la la la (8x).” He put his hands on my waist and I put them around his neck and we moved side to side with our eyes locked and our smiles never faltered.

“Oh, I can't get you out my mind Everything you do is feelin right Remember that way you caught my eye? I remember that way you was walkin by Ooh girl, watch out now You looked at me, turned around and smiled Gave me eyes, my heart went wild Hypnotized, this love starts now And how do I know you're real? It really doesn't matter, it's the way I feel You make me feel super like the man of steel Got me goin stupid, pickin daffodils--”

The music had stopped. My heart panicked. My aunt had caught us.

No. It was Lora.

I dropped my hands a little too fast.

Lora had her hands on her hips like a mother would.

“Baby,” Antonio said and left me and went to Lora, “what brings you here?”

“You forgot your cell phone.” Lora said and waved it and set it on the table.

“Hey, Lora.” I waved at her.

“Ed, aren’t you supposed to be in detention?”

I shrugged. “Got out early.”

“Oh, okay. Well, I had to stop the music because you two weren’t listening to me.”

I laughed nervously. “I didn’t hear the door bell.” I lamely pointed to the little bell.

“Yeah, I know. Where’s Sterling?”

“He had something to do with his family.” I said as I went around to the cash register and looked for anything to occupy my shaky hands.

“I’ll see you guys later.” She smiled at me and she turned to Antonio and kissed him.

It was one of those kisses that said ‘he’s mine’. She might as well get him a shirt that said ‘Property of Lora Armstrong: Back off bitches’. I chuckled at the thought and that broke their ‘intense’ kiss but Antonio didn’t put that much effort into it.

“Later.” Lora waved.

When she left I sighed. “Oh my gosh, she is so going to give me ‘the talk’.”

“What are you talking about?”

I sighed and looked at him. “Before I got with Sterling Lora had a major crush on him… okay, more like an obsession for him. She really thought that when Sterling broke up with Cruella he would ask her out but… he and I were already kind of together. She was really sad and even though she didn’t tell me, even now, I know she resents me for it.”

“If she is truly your friend then she shouldn’t.”

I shrugged. “She’s always been like that.”

“I thought she was different.”

“You’re not going to break up with her, are you?” I said in a panicky voice. If he told her that I said that about her she would hate me and I love her even though she could be selfish sometimes but there are times when she is a sweetheart.

“It’s clear she’s not what she acts to be.” Antonio said. “I like girls who are true and not pretend to be something they’re not.” He said to me. “Someone like you.”

I shook my head. “Antonio even if by some miracle by God Himself, I broke up with Sterling I couldn’t get with you.”

“Why not?” He asked.

“Because it would break the girl code.”

He scoffed. “Girl code?”

“We can’t date each other’s ex.”

“You went out with Cruella’s ex.” He said.

“Our friend’s ex’s.” I said. “Especially best friend since childhood.”

“That’s just crap.” He said.

“It’s not because it complicates things.”

“How?”

“She’ll hate me.”

Antonio groaned. “Couldn’t you have told me about this ‘girl code’ before I asked your best friend?”

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Sorry, it was either tell you not to go out with my best friend because I liked you and lose Sterling or stay with Sterling and let you go out with my best friend, as you can see I went with latter.”

Instead of a snappy comeback he smirked.

“You just admitted you like me.”

I replayed my words inside of my head and cursed.

He laughed. “It’s all right. I knew it from day one.”