In Over My Head Zack Merrick

Chapter One

Taylor’s POV:

3 years later…

“Happy birthday dear Jason, happy birthday to you!” We all sang. Jason huffed and blew out his three candles, and we all clapped.

Zack wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me into his side. I was now twenty two, and Zack was twenty four. It was Jason’s third birthday, and the whole family- well, Zack’s family and the band- was at the house.

All Time Low was big now. They were almost always on tour, doing photo shoots or recording. Zack wasn’t home much anymore. I tried my best not to let it bother me.

“I love you,” Zack mumbled, kissing my temple.

“I love you too.” I smiled.

“Dada!” Jason screeched, giggling and hitting Zack’s legs, signaling for Zack to pick him up. Zack did so, smiling wide. He was really a good father, when he was around.

“Happy birthday kiddo,” Zack threw him in the air and caught him. I eyed him carefully, my motherly instincts taking over. I never liked when Zack played around like that, I didn’t want Jason getting hurt.

“Babe, I wont drop him,” He chuckled, setting Jason down to go run off to play in he yard with his friends from preschool.

“Hey sexy people!” Alex came over to us.

“You’re so loud,” I laughed, hugging him.

“I know,” He flashed me a smile and then turned to Zack. “So, you ready to go tomorrow?” He asked.

“Go where?” I asked.

Alex looked at me, and then eyed Zack.

“You didn’t tell her?” Alex questioned.

“Um, no, not yet,” I was beginning to get nervous.

“Tell me what?” I knew what was coming. This conversation has happened so many times, I know exactly what he would say, and I just always tried to tell myself that he wasn’t leaving.

“We have to leave for tour again tomorrow…” He said quietly, looking down.

“When did you plan on telling me this?” I tried to make my voice stop shaking.

“Tonight,” He admitted. Alex shuffled away.

I swallowed hard, holding back tears. I heard Jason and his classmates screaming happily. “For how long?” I asked, not looking at him.

“Three weeks,” He sighed.

“Thanks for telling me now, I’m my sons birthday,” I snarled, turning on my heel and walking into the house. I heard Zack calling my but I slid the sliding glass door shut, and started towards the bathroom to fix my makeup, because tears were running freely now.

“Hey, hey, what’s wrong Tater?” Jack stopped me, engulfing me in a hug. He was my best friend out of all of the band members. They were all like brothers to me though. Except for Zack, of course.

“You guys are leaving,” I sniffled, looking at my feet.

“I know you hate it when he’s not around,” Jack sighed sympathetically, squeezing me tighter.

Before I could respond, Jason was trying with all of his might to push the sliding door open to get inside, but he wasn’t strong enough. I laughed a little through my tears and opened it for him.

“Mommy!” Jason squealed and I picked him up. “What’s wong?” He still couldn’t talk perfect, but he as getting there.

“Nothing, baby,” I faked a smile, kissing him multiple times all over his face. “Mommy loves you,” I cooed.

“Jason loves you!” He giggled, hugging my neck.

Zack walked in, looking at me with sorry eyes. Jason jumped out of my arms and went back outside, leaving me and Zack to talk.

“Baby, I’m sorry,” He mumbled, stepping closer to me.

“Whatever, it doesn’t matter,” I closed my eyes tight. I knew Jack was still watching.

“Taylor, I-”

“Save it,” I interrupted him, stiffly walking outside.

- - -

“Daddy don’t leave!” Jason cried, hugging Zack’s leg. It was the morning after his birthday, and now Zack was leaving. Already.

“Kiddo I’ll be back soon, and then I won’t leave again,” I glared at him.

“You say that all the time!” Jason sniffled. Seeing my son crying broke my heart. “Don’t you love me?”

Zack’s eyes looked hurt. “Of course I do,”

“If you loved me you wouldn’t leave all da time! Mommy never leaves me,”

“Daddy has to do this though buddy,” Zack mumbled. I know Zack felt bad, but it still wasn’t fair that Jason and I had to be alone all the time. “Daddy loves you,” Zack picked Jason up and he wrapped his small arms around his neck, burying his face in his shoulder.

He put Jason down and came over to me.

“I’m sorry,” He whispered.

“It doesn’t matter,” I was still mad. He groaned.

“Why do you always get pissed at me?” He said, trying to keep his voice low.

“Because I have a reason.” I said, getting irritated.

“It’s not my fault!” He screamed, scaring both me and Jason. Jason began crying and I picked him up; I was fighting back tears myself. Zack’s eyes softened when he saw this.

“Baby it’s alright, go upstairs, mommy will be up in a minute,” I told Jason and he did as I told him to.

“Taylor, I’m sorry,” He said pleadingly.

“Just go,” Tears slid down my face.

“I love you,” He mumbled, kissing my cheek. “I’ll call you later,” He gave up, walking out the door.

I blinked back more tears and ran up the stairs, taking my son in my arms.

“Shh, baby, it’s okay, mama loves you.” I murmured over and over again.

Baby daddy ain’t leavin’ no more,
Daddy you’re lyin’.
You always say that,
You always say this is the last time,
But you ain’t leavin’ no more,
Daddy you’re mine.