Status: Discontinued

You Only Get One Shot Do Not Miss Your Chance to Blow

Four

I got off the bed and immediately walked to the door. I needed air. My eyes were starting to cloud, and my legs started to tremble. The butterflies entered my stomach and I thought I might throw up.

I kept my eyes on the door handle and reached my hand out to the side to try to grab my coat. I grabbed once, twice, only grabbing air. I started getting dizzy and my head started to spin.

I decided I didn’t need my coat anyways, it was Vegas. I would be plenty warm, that is if I made it out the door before I broke down.

Hayley kept trying to get my attention, “Emily? What is it? Did you figure it out? Where are you going? Did I say something? What the hell?” She was cut off with the door slamming.

I bang the door shut and started heading towards the stairwell.

I started out walking slowly, but every second that went by my feet started to move faster and faster. Quickly I got the stair case and I still had my momentum. I went down the steps two at a time, three at a time, four at a time. I finally got down to the last set of stairs and jumped from the landing to the floor.

I ignored the aching pain in the arches of my feet from the landing and threw the door open. It swung so fast it knocked over the potted plant and cracked the pot.

I mumbled a quick “sorry” to the manager at the front desk and made my way to the front doors but was stopped my phone vibrating my back pocket.

The front screen showed “Hayls”. I flipped it open but didn’t say anything.

I didn’t say anything but Hayley sure did. “What the hell Emily?! Where are you? You just ran off! Fuck, are you okay? You looked like you were going to kill someone…”

I couldn’t even try to think about what she saying, so again, I didn’t say anything. I made my way out the doors and started walking down the sidewalk not knowing where I was going. When Hayley didn’t hear me answer her she started again in a softer tone.

“Where are you? You need to talk to me so I can help you. Tell me where you are and I will come and we can talk.”

“Kay.” my voice cracked when I opened my mouth and the tears started to fall.

I was walking down the sidewalk and I crossed the busy road trying to see a street sign. I couldn’t tell her much. “Outside the hotel…. Uh, across the street…in an alley.”

With that she hung up and I turned into the alley and leaned my back against the wall to let myself sink down to the ground.

I put my head in my hands and cried.

I don’t know how long, it could have been two minutes or 20. I heard footsteps and I assumed it was Hayley, so I dried my eyes on my jeans and stood up.

But when I looked up it wasn’t Hayley. It was Jon.

I don’t think he was expecting me to be here, either was I.

We both stood there with wide eyes and our jaws hanging open. I felt my hands starting to create fist at my sides and I clenched them so hard I’m sure my knuckles started to turn white.