Time Passes. Snow Falls. I Miss You.

Four

The four boys finally left the coffee shop, after being kicked out by Charlie. Charlie thought the same about Jon as he did about Delany; aggravated by his bluntness and annoyed at his defying ways.

Jon was still floating on clouds as everyone drove back to his house. When they arrived they were greeted by his overly cheerful mother and proud father.

“Oh Jon! We’ve all missed you so much!” His mother embraced him tightly and then started to move onto the other boys, hugging them just as tight as she did Jon. “Ryan, you need some more food in you!” Ryan rolled his eyes. Brendon laughed silently and pointed at him, it was ironic because Ryan was the one in the band that ate the most and the most often.

“Well come in boys,” Jon’s father motioned to the house. Spencer, Ryan and Brendon all followed after the Walkers.

After catching up about life on the road, and enjoying each other’s company, all four boys went up to Jon’s room and the guest room next door to unpack since Panic would be staying in Chicago for a while, since they finished tour.

Later that night, the Walker’s house was filled with the Panic boys, the Walkers and the Rydells for dinner.

“So Delany, how is school going for you?” Mrs. Walker started the conversation after all the food was passes out.

“Uh, well. It’s okay I guess,” Delany said apprehensively. “I’ve been really--”

“Whoa! You’re still in high school?!” Brendon blurted out, struggling to keep the green beans in his mouth as he did so.

“Brendon! Don’t interrupt her!” Mrs. Walker scolded him, treating him like her son, as he pretty much was, just like Ryan and Spencer.

Delany laughed stiffly, like she had been doing all night. “It’s all good. And yes Brendon, I’m still in high school. Got a problem with that, punk?!”

“Delany!” her mother scolded. “Don’t talk to him like that, you just met him.”

“Actually, mother, I didn’t. I met him earlier, thank you very much.” Delany’s father rolled his eyes her, embarrassed at his daughter.

Jon knew that Delany’s parents got very paranoid at their daughter and her snide remarks, and new a mini fight would go down or the tension in the room would rise so he made a point of relieving them of the stress. “So, where is tweedle-dee and tweedle-dumb?” he asked referring to his brothers.

“They should be coming…” his mom answered, eyes wondering to the door.

“Well Diane, this was a truly amazing meal! You’ve out done yourself, once again,” Mrs. Rydell said after the meal was done and they were walking out the door, referring to all the other dinners the Walkers had had, but this time she had an additional four boys that ate enough for two people, so she had cooked a lot.

The Rydells had been over there all night, and Delany was getting bored. It wasn’t that she didn’t enjoy soaking up the time with Jon, but she wanted to just talk to him. Without the additional three thugs.

Delany walked behind her parents and Alex as they made their way back from the Walker’s house, 20 feet away. “Delany,” her mother started, “You behaved very nicely tonight. Thank you.”

She rolled her eyes, luckily it was dark so her parents didn’t see.

“Let’s just keep your comments to a minimal.” Her dad always had to but in and get on Delany’s last nerve.

“Wow dad, thanks. I thought this was the twenty-first century; where women actually have rights. But thanks for proving me wrong.” She shoved past her parents and walked straight down into her room.

&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&

“I thought I’d find you out here,” Jon said softly as he laid down next to Delany. She turned and looked at him, inviting him. “What’s up? I know I’m not around anymore, but I know enough that something is up.”

They were lying in the dead center of the road. The only thing that separated them was the water drain in between them. She turned onto her left side and Jon turned on his right, “Yeah, I don’t know. I guess I’m growing up?”

“What do you mean?”

Delany turned back onto her back and stared at the stars. This place, the exact spot on the road, was only spot she could be calm. She and Jon used to come out every night and talk about the world. How they fit in it and how it was they were supposed to make a difference. As she thought about the memories, she realized that Jon actually had made it and changed people’s lives, and she was here. Still herself, still wondering what she will do with her life.

She folded her hands on top her stomach, “I don’t know, I guess I realized that I did this to myself. I used to blame my parents for things and now I look back at it, and, now it seems so stupid. Blaming my parents for who I am.”

“Dee Dee, no one can help how they act. You can’t help your personality.”

“I guess,” she agreed, unconvinced. Jon didn’t understand what she was saying, Delany had an awesome personality. She was uncaring and carefree, who cares if her parents thought otherwise.

“So what do you say?! TP Charlie’s house tonight?”

“Who could pass up that offer?” Both sat up in sync and ran towards the store to start their evening.

&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&

“You know, if you take a picture it will last longer,” Delany blurted out as Spencer stared as their college neighbor girl came out to get her newspaper in only her underwear and skimpy tank.

“Okay!” Brendon whipped out his camera phone.

“Not that you guys aren't interesting, but where’s Jon?” Delany offered.

“I don’t know, probably off with his jerk bro,” Brendon answered distractedly, looking at the picture he just snapped.

“Well could one of you guys drive me to work?”

Ryan walked out of the kitchen into the guest bedroom where they were all hanging, hands filled with food.

“Jackpot!” Brendon yelled and jumped up taking the Oreos.

“I will,” Ryan offered, with his mouth stuffed with chips.

“So what’s up with you and Jon?” Ryan asked as he drove Delany to Starbucks.

“What do you mean?” Ryan shrugged. “Jon and I have been friends for forever. When we grew up, we practically lived outside in our sandbox or in Jon’s room playing Matchbox Hot wheels. I’ve missed him.” Delany sighed at the last part, which didn’t mean to.

Ryan wasn’t sure what to take of that, so he just nodded, keeping the questions to himself.

“Well, here we are.”

“Thanks, Ry.”

“See ya later, Del.”

&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&

Delany gasped as she looked at the clock beside her bed. She flung herself out of bed; she couldn’t be late for school again. She threw up her long wavy hair up in a pony tail, slipped into a pair a light washed jeans and a comfy long sleeved shirt. She didn’t have time to put on make-up, and she threw on her glasses.

She grabbed a sweatshirt and a jacket, since Kate always left if Delany wasn’t out in her car ten minutes before school started, she would be running outside.

“Shit, shit, shit!” she yelled as she ran around looking for her math homework she actually did the night before.

“Delany, are you still here?” her mother yelled down the stairs. “Kate just left! You better not be late, your father won’t be happy!”

Delany hurled the window open and hopped out, a quicker way and an easier way to get out of her house, and started sprinting down the street. It started to snow and her glasses were fogging up, but she wouldn’t slow her skinny legs.

She entered her multicultural perspectives class literally just as the bell rang.

“You’re late.”

“No, actually Ms. Kelley, I was in the class room when the bell stopped ringing, so technically, I was here.”

“Don’t sass me, Delany.”

The redhead dropped her chin in shock, she didn’t know what she had done wrong, “But, I--”

“Hallway,” the teacher pointed to the door. Delany didn’t know who put rotten beans in her coffee maker this morning, but Delany knew she was innocent.

Half way through the class, Delany was still sitting in the hallway. She was still drenched from the snow and hair was even wavier than before from the snow. Delany got bored of sitting, so she decided that if her teacher hadn’t come out yet, she never would. So she got up and went to the bathroom, shoes squeaking as she went.

Delany reached in her pocket to pull out her phone after she had fixed her hair and dried her socks under the hand dryers in the bathroom, but when she reached in her back pocket, it wasn’t there.

“Shit,” she grumbled to herself, “This will be a long, shitty day.” She couldn’t text anyone, and she didn’t have anywhere to go, so she went back to the outside of Ms. Kelley’s class. Outside the door there was sign taped to the window.

Miss Rydell:
You have the pleasure of spending time with me in…
DETENTION!


The little redhead’s shoulders drooped and she leaned her head against the wall in defeat. Delany felt like she couldn’t do anything right.

“Jesus Christ! How long is the school day?!” Spencer asked from the back seat of Jon’s parent’s car. He and Spencer, along with Ryan had been waiting in the front of the school for and hour and a half now, growing bored of waiting.

“Dude, she probably left already!” Ryan said, throwing his hands up.

“No,” Jon shot him down, “She always walked home, and she never came out of the building! So sit down and shut up.”

“Why do you care so much, bro?” Spencer asked. Jon rolled his eyes and both of them. He didn’t expect them to understand Delany. Not many did, so Jon ignored their comments and continued to tap his fingers on the steering wheel as he waited.

“Haaaaallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Haaaaaalleluha! Haaaleeelujah!” Ryan sang as he saw a petite girl walk down the school steps.

“Delany! Over here!” Jon yelled through the window. Immediately the girl’s face lit up and she ran over to Jon’s car and got in.

“Jeez, I didn’t know school got out this late now a days,” Spencer complained.

“No. But detention does.” Delany lamented.

“You’re late.” Delany heard as she walked through the front. She rolled her eyes; she had that statement too much that day.

“Sorry,” she muttered. Mrs. Rydell walked in the room, with Alex in tow. She was glaring at her daughter.

“I thought we had an agreement, Delany,” she said sternly.

“Yeah, I know--”

“Whatever Delany, I don’t want to hear your excuse this time.” She made her way into the kitchen to start dinner. “I don’t understand you, this is ridiculous. You should be able to pick up your brother. Instead, I get a call from his teacher everyday! You have no idea how embarrassing that is for me! It makes me look like a horrible parent!”

Delany wanted to say so many things, but she held them in, “Sorry.” She let her head drop and she walked down to her room.

Delany’s phone started vibrating over at the wall, where it was still plugged in from last night. --wanna come over?--

My parents r pretty pissed.

--wat happened?--

Sorry can’t text right now. Ill talk to u later.

--k. text me later :)-- Delany sighed and put her phone down, she wanted nothing more than to hang out with Jon. She didn’t know how long Jon would stick around, but she hoped a while, because something about Jon’s presence made her want to do better.