Time Passes. Snow Falls. I Miss You.

Six

Jon had only been in Chicago for a little less the two weeks, but Delany’s parents already had seen an improvement in her behavior. At first they had a hard time believing that Jon could have brought the blessing, the boy who used to run around throwing mud pies at the street cars passing by on the streets with her. But after the first week and a half, they realized that is was in fact Jon.

Jon wasn’t actually helping Delany. In fact, he was doing the exact opposite. Every night the two playmates would sneak out and do something crazy, like truth or dare to the neighbor’s houses, ding dong ditching or TP-ing. Some nights they would lie in the middle of their street and think, and other nights they would head up to Jon’s tree house and look at picture albums, text or just lay and talk.

Delany’s parents couldn’t complain about Delany anymore. Of course, they had plenty to complain about, but they didn’t. They loved the fact that their little daughter remembered to pick up her brother and they loved that they didn’t get phone calls from her teachers saying she failed yet another test.

So they didn’t mind when sometimes she got in a little past curfew, and they didn’t say anything when they heard her up at one in the morning talking on the phone.

Indeed, Delany still had a personality big enough for two and a mouth larger than the Gulf of Mexico, and she still didn’t listen that well, but her parents didn’t fuss for a second.

Her parents also didn’t think it would be Jon to break her. If they could have laid money on it, they would have put it all on Kate. Kate did help her with a list once and a while, but it appeared she didn’t have as much of affect on Delany as everyone thought.

Yes, she was put together, confident and accomplished, but Delany could break through that. Jon and his friends were so much different than that. Their adverse ways made Delany cling to them.

Because none of Panic were overbearing, like Kate, Delany felt as if she fit in and wasn’t inferior. Believe it or not, the loud mouthed Delany actually did feel bottom-rung around Kate once and a while.

Delany did have a lot of friends at school, but Kate always had more. Kate was so on top of things, she knew everything and wasn’t afraid to show, not in a cocky way, but confident. Kate wasn’t used to rejection, so when Delany had stopped calling her so often and didn’t text her as much, she was thrown off.

Naturally, Kate, Delany and Jon did used to all hang out, but Kate wouldn’t ever admit she was secretly and overly content when Jon graduated and suddenly left Delany in the dust, because it meant she could have her best friend all to herself. Now that Jon was back, it was like déjà vu.

“So, I’m having a party at my house Friday, coming?” Kate asked Delany as she climbed in her car.

“Definitely! I love parties!”

“Me too! My parents are out, and they actually agreed to let me have a party! Isn’t that amazing?” They rest of the ride, and the day for that matter was spent talking about the party and who was all going to come.

“Oh! And don’t forget Jon!”

“Jon? Jon who?”

“Uh, Walker?” Delany looked at Kate like she was crazy.

“Oh, right,” Kate answered back, knowing the first time who she meant.

“Do you not want him to come?” Delany asked sincerely.

“No Dee, its fine!” she said, putting the smile back on her face, hiding her vexation. “Do you think you could take my shift today? It’s from six to eleven.”

Delany frowned, that meant she would be working all afternoon.

&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&

--Come over!-- Jon texted her the second school got out, like always.

Cant, work :(

--Pwease?--

Till 11! Come pick me up?

--Sí dee dee!--

Thank you señor walker! Delany quick ran to the daycare her brother was at, then ran him home and made it to work at 3:21

“You’re late.”

“Yeah well trying to run from the high school to a daycare to a house then here. No car. Not fun.”

“Get a car then.”

“Tell my parents that.” Delany said to Joe, a college boy that worked at Starbucks. Some days Delany thought he was worse than Charlie. Mostly because he talked.

“Can I help you sir?” Joe asked the newest customer.

“Yes. As a matter of fact you can.” Joe waited for an order but there was none.

“Weeelll, what would you like?”

“I will have a Delany on a stick, if it’s not too much to ask.”

“Look punk, I’m just here to make coffee.”

“Jeez, fine. Is Delany working then?”

“Delany! Get out here! Some jerk wants to see you!”

“Jesus Joe, who lit your pants on fire? Oh! Hey Bren, what’s up?”

“Well I wanted to come say goodbye to the love of my life,” he said sarcastically. Joe rolled his eyes and went to go wash tables.

“Aw, that’s sweet.” Brendon leaned an elbow on the counter and placed his chin in that hand and stared at her admiringly. “Wait. You’re leaving?!”

“Yeah, I’m headed back to Vegas,” he said, it was an oxymoron all in it’s self.

“I’m going to miss you! Who else will give noogies to Jon’s idiot brothers with me?!”

“I trust you, Young Stallion,” Brendon said in a forced deep voice, trying to imitate Darth Vader. Delany giggled at him, and went around the corner to give him a hug.

“Text me all the time, kay?” Delany pleaded. Brendon nodded into her short shoulder, causing her to hug him tighter. Three weeks wasn’t long enough for Delany, and at that very moment, she realized that the chances of ever seeing Brendon were very slim.

As if cued, Brendon picked up the feeble red head and swung her around in the embrace. “See you around, Carrot Head.”

“Touché, Mr. Chess Club.” Brendon finally let go of her and Delany unraveled her arms from his skinny waist and looked up at him. She didn’t understand why Brendon had made such an impression on her. Brendon was feeling the same way; being nemeses’ immediately, but then suddenly being coming very close, it was hard to let go, even if they only knew each other for a couple weeks.

For some reason, Delany felt a really close connection to Brendon and she didn’t know why. Brendon and Delany are very similar, and maybe Delany felt that she was like Brendon; defiant and running on her own track.

“You better call me Del, tell me how graduation went, kay?”

Delany couldn’t get any words out of her mouth, so she just nodded violently. Hoping Brendon didn’t take that the wrong way, so she went on her tip toes and friendly kissed him on the cheek, like she did with Jon.

“I’ll be here,” she said miserably. The horn honked and Jon pointed to his fake watch on his wrist.

“Bye Dee!”

“Bye Bden!” He walked slowly out the door backward, waving at Delany the entire time. She blew him a kiss, and of course, he caught it. He left the shop and Delany was left standing in the middle of the coffee shop, stuck in Chicago.