Status: alive and kicking

In the Mind of Madness

Your Best Man

**This chapter is set after the events of chapter 5 in King‘s POV**

King walked into Gotham police station, a few people looking up at him. He knew all the older officers, having worked on over a dozen cases with the Gotham police. Some of them waved at him, and he smiled back, then walked up to the woman nearest to him.

“Hi, there. Is Commissioner Gordon in?”

“Yes, Dr. King. He’s in his office.”

King‘s grin faltered a bit, not sure how she knew his name. He wasn‘t that famous, was he? “Thanks.”

His hands were in the pockets of his khakis, and King walked into the office of one of his oldest friends. He was there to ask him a rather big favor, but King just couldn’t forget what had happened. The promise that he made to Nate Archer before he died had been haunting him lately, and he remembered it as he approached Jim Gordon’s door.

-

Nate was in a hospital bed. The guy had really torn him up. King may have only been a psychologist, but he knew that the internal bleeding mixed with external bleeding would be just too much. Nate’s face was pale, and his hair clung to him with sweat. As King sat as his bedside, Nate grabbed his shoulder and smiled weakly.

“Al, I trust you…you’re one of my best friends. I have to ask you to do something for me.”

King blinked away tears, putting a hand on his friend’s arm. It seemed that in the dire situation they’d both put off their stubborn male-ness for a minute so they could just be best friends saying goodbye.

“Anything.”

“Watch out for Kenna. Don’t let her…seek revenge. Get her a good job someday. Do whatever you can for her. Please.” Nate whispered, tears slipping down his face from his green orbs.

“Of course, Nate. I would have done that anyway.”

-

King wiped his eyes quickly before he opened the door, revealing Gordon sitting at his desk deep in thought. At King’s entrance he looked up, then smiled.

“To what do I owe this pleasure?”

Smiling, King took a seat in the leather chair in front of Gordon‘s desk. “An old friend can’t pay a visit without a reason?”

“Not you, Alan.” chuckled Gordon. “How’s it going with The Joker?”

King grimaced. “That’s one of the reasons I’m here. Things are going well. Better than I ever expected.”

“Great. What’s the problem?”

Sitting forward, King clasped his hands and looked into Gordon’s tired brown eyes. “I’ve got one of my interns working with him. Kenna Archer. She’s getting more of a response from him than anyone has before. From what she’s given me I think The Joker may be starting to trust her, maybe even open up to her.”

Gordon frowned. “It doesn’t seem like it should be that easy.”

“That’s exactly what I’m worrying about. I feel like he might be growing…attached to her. Possibly possessive.”

“Yes, I see how that could be a problem. Are you going to take her off the case?” asked Gordon.

King sighed. “That’s the thing. If I do that then I risk him not saying another word, but I’m worried about her safety. There‘s plenty of security in Arkham, I mean her welfare at home or in the city.”

Gordon appeared to know where King was going, he shook his head a little. “He’s locked up in Arkham, Alan. He can do anything to her out here.”

King got a little irritated. “Do I have to remind you of Rachel Dawes? He blew her to smithereens while he was locked up.” Gordon flinched, and King felt apologetic immediately. “Sorry, Jim. I know she was a friend of yours, but I want you to see my point. There have always been a few dirty cops in Gotham, so why not dirty guards at Arkham?”

“I think you’re right, and I can put some men around her home address, maybe a tail if that’ll make you more comfortable.”

King smiled and shook his head. “I don’t want cops, Jim. I want your very best man.”
♠ ♠ ♠
edit: August 15, 2011