Status: alive and kicking

In the Mind of Madness

My Type

After getting very little sleep due to the horrible nightmares she had from her conversation with The Joker, Kenna went into work feeling half-dead. She wasn’t totally surprised when she found Becky waiting for her, looking much happier than the day before.

“Hi, Kenna.”

“Good morning, Becky. Feeling better?”

Becky nodded, fidgeting her small hands. “Oh, yes. I just wanted to…make sure you still wanted the case.”

Kenna stared at the little brunette in surprise as she sat down at her desk. “Yesterday you were ready to give it away.”

“I definitely don’t want him back, but after you left I felt bad. I wouldn’t normally just throw a fiend like him at anyone, and I wanted to be sure you wanted the case. Because if not I’d be glad to hand it back to Dr. King.”

Kenna forced a smile. Becky actually felt guilty about giving her back The Joker. Kenna felt even worse than before for manipulating her into it.

“That’s very nice of you, Becky, but I have to finish what I started.” said Kenna. She was wondering what the hell The Joker had said. Then again, she didn’t really want to know.

“Okay. The video tape worked just fine, so I’ll give it to him again today. I’ll see you around, Kenna.”

“Bye.”

Kenna sighed and laid her head down on her desk. Whenever she closed her eyes she saw Batman and The Joker, her dreams plagued by them. She couldn’t figure out what the connection was, or what in the world her dreams translated to, but she didn’t have time to figure it out. Morning sessions with The Joker meant having to deal with him earlier, and she desperately needed a cup of coffee before heading to the windowless room.

“Hello, doll.”

Repressing her reaction to that, Kenna took a seat across from The Joker. “Shall we begin where we left off yesterday?”

“Sorry, but you aren’t getting off that easily. I’m not nearly finished.” The Joker shook his head at her, green hair flopping around his face.

Kenna flinched and rested her chin on her hand. “I figured about that much, though it really isn’t fair. It’s about a hundred questions to one right now.”

“Nobody’s ever told you? Life isn’t fair. Though I’m not really surprised, coming from such a sheltered miss priss as yourself.” The Joker replied, giving her a careless look.

“Because I don’t think it’s fun to blow things up and kill innocent people, I’m sheltered?” Kenna scoffed.

The Joker rolled his eyes. “No, kitten. You’re sheltered because…Oh, now you almost got me. You little minx.”

Now it was Kenna’s turn to roll her eyes. “You’re paranoid, Joker. I wasn’t trying to work anything out of you. You would actually be surprised by how much I’m just talking in here.”

She immediately hated herself for saying that when she saw The Joker’s smug, entertained expression. “Not that I enjoy your company.” she added, though it was too late. She didn’t want him to take what she had said the wrong way, Kenna despised The Joker, but spoke oddly freely around him.

“Don’t try and hide it, Kenna. You’re growing fond of little old me, and you can’t deny that.” The Joker told her in a cruel voice, enjoying her suffering.

“If I had a choice between working with chronic pedophiles for the rest of my life and working with you I would definitely choose the perverts. Though you aren’t far from one of them.”

The Joker put a hand on his chest in mock offense. “That hurt.” then he looked at Kenna in a way that made her feel naked. “You know, kitten, it makes me wonder sometimes, the way you are. If you would be honest with yourself you would realize that you’re just as ‘crazy’ as you think I am. Not that I’m actually crazy, I’m just ahead of the curve. You are too, but you’re too damn innocent to get it.”

“Murderers aren’t what I call ahead of the curve, and yes, you are crazy. Trying to make me see otherwise is a waste of your time.”

The Joker sighed like she was a stubborn child he just couldn’t teach. “Tell me something…do you think Batman is crazy?”

“No.” Kenna replied without delay.

“You call me insane ‘cause I wear a mask and blow things up. The Bat wears a mask and he - I’ll admit, not as frequently as I do - blows stuff up. The only difference between me and him is that he wants to preserve the status quo, and I want to overthrow it.”

“No, there are many differences. Batman is fighting for justice, you are fighting for your own vindictive satisfaction, Batman is doing what he thinks is right, you are doing what you know will harm and offend people. You are evil, and he is good.”

“Geez, doll. Sounds like you have a crush on the guy or something.”

Kenna narrowed her eyes. “I like my men to have a face, but I’m sure if Batman is as good as his real self as he is as Batman he would by my type.”

“Pff. Quite a type.”

Kenna raised her eyebrows. “Well then, what’s your type?”

“If you’re hitting on me I have to tell you that I’m just not into blondes.” The Joker gave her one of his most devious smirks.

“Oh, please.” laughed Kenna. “I don’t think hell has quite frozen over.”

The Joker smiled crookedly at her like he knew something she didn‘t. “Just you wait, kitten. Just you wait.”
♠ ♠ ♠
edit: August 15, 2011