Status: alive and kicking

In the Mind of Madness

Kept My Word

Kenna pursed her lips and stopped the tape recording. She glared at The Joker, who throughout his story had developed a satirical twinkle in his eye. He was lying, that much was clear. Kenna felt warm with anger.

“How much of that was even true?”

The Joker busted up laughing, slapping his knees with mirth. “About five percent.”

“Tell me what part of it was true.” she said firmly.

The Joker shook his head, still chuckling. “ I can’t do that, kitten.”

“You promised me that -”

The Joker held up a hand and interrupted her. “I would talk if you got me out of that damn jacket. I talked. You didn’t say I had to tell the truth.”

“Goddammit.” grumbled Kenna, rubbing her eyes. So much for being in a good mood.

The Joker made a tutting noise at her with his tongue. “Don’t be that way, precious. I kept my word.”

“You tricked me.”

“That’s not my problem. You’re the shrink, you should be anticipating my next move.”

Kenna looked up to study him. His face was in a half smile and she could tell by the look in his eyes he was having the time of his life torturing her. Kenna smoothed her own face of all the frustration she felt, and shifted to a more comfortable position in her chair.

“And you called me bipolar. I’ve never met anybody more prone to rapid mood swings. Ten minutes ago you looked like you were going to kill me.”

“I’m an ever-changing mystery, Dr. Archer…” The Joker narrowed his eyes at her. “ What’s your first name?”

Kenna smiled shrewdly. “You first.”

“Touché. Maybe you’re not such a horrible shrink after all.”

Feeling -- not for the first time -- truly offended by The Joker’s casual use of insults, Kenna gathered her papers and headed for the door. The Joker just chuckled and watched her leave. She heard him mutter before she shut the door.

‘Never a disappointment.’
♠ ♠ ♠
edited: August 14, 2011